News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

1971 or 1972 which one ?

Started by brigond, December 16, 2012, 03:51:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

brigond

My favorite chargers are the 1968 through 1969 . I also love the next gen.eration char .ger . I'm in the market to buy .  I found a 72 yellow ,originally a 318  ,now has a 440 .  I also found a black 71 charger  also originally a 318 and now a 440 . There is a large price difference between  both vehicles. They  seem similar in condition but 1 of them has a lot of performance work done to it .  please lend me your input on which you would choose and why .  I don't see all that much difference between a 71 and 72.  At least appearance wise . Thanks .
Mopars are like the Hot Wheel/Matchbox cars from when I was a kid ...  Bad A@@ and Cool!!!

My other hobby is practicing the ancient art of CLICK! POW!

JB400

Will they allow you to post pics so we have a general idea of what we are working with?  And how about a better detailed description of each car?

You might want to read some of the picture help threads in the Help section before you try to post pics.  Believe me, it can get irritating the first time around :2thumbs:

RTDaddy

Quote from: stroker400 wedge on December 16, 2012, 04:13:23 PM
Will they allow you to post pics so we have a general idea of what we are working with?  And how about a better detailed description of each car?

You might want to read some of the picture help threads in the Help section before you try to post pics.  Believe me, it can get irritating the first time around :2thumbs:

I agree with Stroker.  Also, you need to look at what else may have/have not been done to the cars.  I've seen original 71/2's with 318's with both the 8 3/4" and 8 1/4" rearends.  8 3/4" is much more deisrable.  Check to see what is under each car.  Also you might consider looking at an original big block car.  Not sure what price range you're looking at, but there are big block SE cars "out there."  God luck.

"IF YOU'RE UNDER CONTROL, YOU AIN'T GOING FAST ENOUGH."
"IF YOU'RE UNDER CONTROL, YOU AIN'T GOING FAST ENOUGH."

Iron Chef

Normally I'd say 1971 because of the performance aspect, but it sounds like neither one of these cars has the motor it's born with, so I'd probably go for the one in better overall condition (less rust, dents, accidents, no frame damage, etc.).
Most of your life should be "off the record."

Ghoste

Yeah, we need more detail here.  All things being equal, I like the appearance of the 71 better.  I like the marker lights and taillights better but that is about the only deciding items for me personally.

JB400

One last addition if you don't mind :icon_smile_big:   

Welcome to the group :2thumbs:

Chryco Psycho

My 71 is available also fully restored if yoy want to consider that in the mix

Ghoste

Neil, are there pics of your 71 on here someplace?

brigond

Thanks for the welcome. Chryco psycho tell me about your 71 and how much? I know I left out a lot of details . I was pressed for time but here are some more details .  keep in mind I have not physically seen these vehicles yet .  I'm not in a rush . I just sold my mint condition  Chevy Impala that I have owned for 18 + years . my first car was a very warn 73 Nova  my parents gave me . The first car that I bought for myself was a 68 Charger  318. I have had many cars since then . I'm ready for my Mopar now .

The 1972 charger is yellow with a custom black stripe down the side . It started as a regular charger with a 318 engine . The owner installed a bulge hood , It now has a 440 engine  recently rebuilt . It's originally an  AC car with hideaway headlights . It has bucket seats, console , cool looking (original) white vinyl  seats with hounds tooth inserts. Both owners claim the bodies are clean and straight. This 1972 was restored about 3 years ago. The owner or the car this way . The current owner does not know much  about the pre restoration. I got the vibe that he does not know all that much and has a mechanic  do his work . I think I can get a good idea  of the condition  with a 3 + your old restoration . I think that's enough time for a bad restoration to start showing through . He claims that it is in excellent condition . New exhaust , tires and leaf springs. This car is $8,900 less than the 1971. I would love a #s matching car but I'm willing to go the other route to get a 440 . I'm not opposed to a 383.

The 1971 is black  exterior with black seats and Orange inserts. The interior and exterior (the entire car) are very recent. It has an all new front end ,tires ,exhaust ,suspension,tires. The owner claims a solid start with no rust holes,only surface rust and a dent repair on the drivers side. This also was originally a 318 engine  that now has a 440 performance engine that he sunk 12k into. he claims it's pushing  near 600 horsepower . The extreme performance is not a selling factor for me. This car has hideaway headlights  and ac but neither are installed . Both Owners claims that all factory gauges are working .

For some reason the 1971 charger  list at a higher value them in 1972 . I have yet to figure this out  since most of what I read  are small personal preference differences . Thanks for all your replies . If you need any more details let me know . I'm supposed to look at the 1972 after the holidays . I know that this car will still be around for me to see it but I have no appointment with owner of the 1971. Yet.
Mopars are like the Hot Wheel/Matchbox cars from when I was a kid ...  Bad A@@ and Cool!!!

brigond

I forgot to add that the 1971 charger also has a bulge hood. It also has a spoiler and the front ground affects that the 1972 does NOT have. Not sure what to officially call the front ground affect.

AKcharger

JB400

Quote from: AKcharger on December 17, 2012, 03:19:08 AM
Buy the '72!
I would have to agree. Unless you don't like yellow or you want a racecar instead of a cruiser, the 72 is the way to go.  Plus, it leaves you with more coin to fix whatever needs fixed or to change what you don't like.  The 71 engine was built more for racing.  You could have some fun with it, but you or the mrs would probably not like the characteristics of it as a cruiser.  I'd pick the 71 if you didn't mind doing some body work and change the color to one of your choice. Orange interior does take a little bit of time to get used to.

Ghoste

And as for the reason the 71 "lists" as being more valuable, it is because 1971 is generally accepted as the final year for full high performance models from Dodge with Hemi, Six Packs and high compression still available.  This becomes a non issue in this case with both cars beginning life as 318 cars that have 440 engine swaps.
Are both of these cars finished and ready to drive now?

MrSnicks

I say go for the 71. I have 2 71's and I prefer the side markers on the 71 to the 72.

Patrick

brigond

Yes ,both cars are ready to drive and show. . The 1972 seems more complete . The 1971 is also near complete but doesn't have the ac, or the hide away headlights motor installed. The 1971's interior is mostly black with the Orange being more of an accent . The interior (believe it or not ) looks nice. Both cars look cool. yes , I also like the banana yellow/ black stripe combination. I wioukd have a nice chunk left over for changes to the 72. I have a feeling the guy with the 71 will move a couple of thousand..

brigond

Hey Chryco Psycho, tell me about you 71 for sale .

skip68

Without pictures I'd say buy the 72. Sounds like a better deal to me.   A high HP motor doesn't really add much value to a car. It's more like a perk.   Unless it's a HEMI or something.   
skip68, A.K.A. Chuck \ 68 Charger 440 auto\ 67 Camaro RS (no 440)       FRANKS & BEANS !!!

Ghoste

And in some cases, a detriment.

brigond

I wish I had pictures but to see the 71 , its the only 71 that's for sale on cars.com . Ive had no luck with adding pictures to any forum I subscribe to. I do appreciate you all trying. I'm in PA and I'm trying to buy something I can drive to. I'm not apposed to paying a car transport (carrier) if I found a great deal that's to far to drive. This thread has already helped a lot. I now know why 1971's value higher than 72's but it doesn't really matter if we are talking about a put together (non original) car . I also noticed  73 and 74's value even less. I was always into original but the prices of higher end originals are too much for my wallet. This is a buyers market for classic cars though.  You never know what kind of deal you might find.

JB400

I believe this is the 71 your talking about?

Wookie316

Can't go wrong with 71. That's what I have. Side markers and tail lights are far more appealing than the 72. Mind you 72 rally cars had rt style tail lights too. Go with what you are going to be most happy with. Don't settle and don't let price make your decision. In the long run you may have regrets if you settle.

My car was a 318 car originally. It is a big block now. I made what I wanted because you just can't go out and buy what you want unless you have a thick wallet.

Good luck.
1971 Plum Crazy SupeBee. 400 bored and stroked to 511, 727 spinning a Dana 4.30

brigond

Yes sir , that's one of them .  :smilielol:

brigond

What's up with a 400 engine? How desirable are they? Don't think they are .  I guess this was part of the power reduction. Just looked it up and read ...190 HP 2 barrel. And 255hp 4 barrel . I think I will avoid this engine.

JB400

Don't underestimate the power of a 400.  Factory engines, yes, they were lame, but so were a lot of engines of the era.  Built right though, they can be a lot of fun :D  How about a stroker 400 :nana:

Ghoste

And remember those hp figures are net, unlike the years prior.

brigond

Ahh , 400 stroker. An engine you would go with for the intention of souping it up. I'll keep it in mind while searching. I'm leaning toward the 1972. The  cost difference is pretty significant. I could do a lot to it with the extra 8 grand. I do see the better cosmetic rear end of the 71 though. Also, the 71 will have a better resale value.