News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Hotchkis Leaf Springs??

Started by garner7555, December 16, 2012, 03:05:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

garner7555

Do they handle as good as they claim??
69 Charger 440 resto-mod

odcics2

Yes.  No camber change, for one thing.  Ability to handle gobs of power.  Cheap to make.   
I've never owned anything but a MoPar. Can you say that?

garner7555

I used the PST 1.03 torsion bars up front which lowered it, so I am looking to drop the rear and also looking to gain better handling as well.  I really like what I see of Hotchkis on youtube so I'm thinking of trying their 1" drop leaf springs out back.
69 Charger 440 resto-mod

HPP

As a stand alone change, not radically better. They are incrementally better and combined with the whole package, will help. If you are really in tune with the nuances of your car's handling, you may notice the difference at the edge of control compared to a more stock style mopar set up, but most driver's will not.  Unless you are changing out SS springs, then there is a huge difference. Yes, they do slightly reduce camber change which alters rear steer characteristics, but I wouldn't recommend them for high powered drag launches, if you do any of those, as they are only a three leaf design

garner7555

Thanks for the input!!  I'm new to the forum but enjoying reading about other restorations.  Helps me decide which products to purchase.
69 Charger 440 resto-mod

WHITE AND RED 69

I've got them on my 69 and think they are great. I'm a huge fan of the Hotchkis setup. Don't expect a huge difference but with the right shocks you can make a big difference in the handling. Like HPP said they are designed to work as a package with the other Hotchkis parts to get the full benefit of the design but will work with stock or other vendor parts. A lot of guys complain that it lowers the rear too much but if you are looking for that lowered look these will work great.   :cheers:
1969 Dodge Charger R/T
2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee 75th edition
1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee
1972 Plymouth Duster

garner7555

That's exactly what I was hoping to hear.  Yes, I am looking for that lowered look (not to offend anyone, I love chargers sitting high, low, or all jacked up in rear).  I'm not looking to spend the cash to make mine a pro-tour car,but I am going that direction with the build.  I need to drop the rear of the car so I thought these springs would do that and also improve handling.  My car is a 69 that was originally a 318 auto car with 2:76 gears.  Since acquiring the car in the 90s I have built and installed a 440 4speed. These will replace the old worn out 318 springs.

I love the stance on your car White And Red 69.  What size wheels? and where can I see more pictures?
69 Charger 440 resto-mod

WHITE AND RED 69

The wheels are 18x8 fronts with 245/40 tires and 18x10 rears with 285/40 tires. I have an old thread with some pictures but I havnt posted too many recent ones.

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,81877.0.html
1969 Dodge Charger R/T
1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee
1972 Plymouth Duster

six-tee-nine

Quote from: WHITE AND RED 69 on December 17, 2012, 06:43:06 PM
The wheels are 18x8 fronts with 245/40 tires and 18x10 rears with 285/40 tires. I have an old thread with some pictures but I havnt posted too many recent ones.

Gorgeous car dude!  Mine left the factory like that in 69. Still makes me doubt my future color choice to go back to how it came.
Greetings from Belgium, the beer country

NOS is nice, turbo's are neat, but when it comes to Mopars, there's no need to cheat...

WHITE AND RED 69

Quote from: six-tee-nine on December 18, 2012, 06:47:29 AM

Gorgeous car dude!  Mine left the factory like that in 69. Still makes me doubt my future color choice to go back to how it came.

Thanks! What color are you going with? The good thing about Chargers is just about every color works well with em.  :cheers:

1969 Dodge Charger R/T
1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee
1972 Plymouth Duster

WHITE AND RED 69

If you decide to go with the leaf springs, Hotchkis is doing a 25% off sale from now till Jan. 2. Promo code is Santa.   :cheers:
1969 Dodge Charger R/T
1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee
1972 Plymouth Duster

garner7555

Wow, thanks for the heads up on the sale. I actually just received the Hotchkis springs and shackles today. I ordered through Summit (price looked better).  While ordering I also got a locker for the 8 3/4, all 4 shocks, and a rear adjustable sway bar.  I went through the front suspension this summer and about to tackle rear suspension and brakes this winter. I hope these springs give it a stance like your car,  I have got 20 x 10s on the rear now. It needs to be lowered, the big wheels have it looking a little like my 4x4 truck. Haha.   Out front I used 1.03 T bars, tubular upper control arms, I welded stiffener plates on lower control arms, disc brake conv., heavy sway bar,  and a stage 3 power steering box.  I hope it will handle "better than new" after all this.
69 Charger 440 resto-mod

WHITE AND RED 69

Sounds like you got some bitchin parts going on it. It definitely will handle better than new with all of that. What shocks did you go with? Got any pictures you can post up.   :cheers:
1969 Dodge Charger R/T
1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee
1972 Plymouth Duster

garner7555

Thanks man.  I went with KYBs. I guess I could have gotten better shocks but local people I know strongly recommended them.  I'm always looking to save a dollar anywhere I can too. I have a few pics on my phone but it won't let me upload them. Maybe I should try again.  I'm only 28 but that doesn't mean that I'm good with technology. Haha.
69 Charger 440 resto-mod

Lennard

Quote from: WHITE AND RED 69 on December 17, 2012, 12:08:51 AM
I've got them on my 69 and think they are great. I'm a huge fan of the Hotchkis setup.
Are yours the 1" drop leaf springs?

garner7555

Yes they are suppose to be the 1" drop.

Sorry I just noticed you weren't asking me. Haha.
69 Charger 440 resto-mod

WHITE AND RED 69

Quote from: Lennard on December 18, 2012, 08:08:05 PM
I've got them on my 69 and think they are great. I'm a huge fan of the Hotchkis setup.

Yep. Mine have a bit more than a 1" drop though, its closer to 1 1/2" with a full tank of gas and the spare in the trunk.  :cheers:
1969 Dodge Charger R/T
1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee
1972 Plymouth Duster

garner7555

I really appreciate this forum. It's nice to get other people's opinion. Especially people who are working with a budget like me. I get tired of magazine cars that the people paid a shop to build and spent 300k + on restoration. Haha. 
69 Charger 440 resto-mod

six-tee-nine

Quote from: WHITE AND RED 69 on December 18, 2012, 07:08:59 PM
Quote from: six-tee-nine on December 18, 2012, 06:47:29 AM

Thanks! What color are you going with? The good thing about Chargers is just about every color works well with em.  :cheers:

Still kinda undecided up till now. First i thought black but everyone seems to go for a black paintjob on a classic these days. right now I'm leaning towards a darker shade of gray or  metallic white
Interior will be red, so it needs to go with that....

Greetings from Belgium, the beer country

NOS is nice, turbo's are neat, but when it comes to Mopars, there's no need to cheat...

HPP

Quote from: garner7555 on December 18, 2012, 07:55:02 PM
Thanks man.  I went with KYBs. I guess I could have gotten better shocks but local people I know strongly recommended them.  I'm always looking to save a dollar anywhere I can too. I have a few pics on my phone but it won't let me upload them. Maybe I should try again.  I'm only 28 but that doesn't mean that I'm good with technology. Haha.

IMO, I would have skipped the tubular upper arms to go with a better shock. Like tires, shock technology has evloved by leaps and bounds over the last 20 years. KYB Gas Adjusts have not kept pace with those advancements and much like the revered but totally outdated BFG Radial TA, they are okay, but not great.  The extra caster provided by tubular arms can be acheived with offset upper bushings for $60 instead of the $400 the arms cost.

But, you can always update these later.

Lennard

Quote from: WHITE AND RED 69 on December 18, 2012, 11:24:02 PM
Quote from: Lennard on December 18, 2012, 08:08:05 PM
Yep. Mine have a bit more than a 1" drop though, its closer to 1 1/2" with a full tank of gas and the spare in the trunk.  :cheers:
:2thumbs:

garner7555

That was my thoughts, I wanted to go good quality on all suspension.  I can change shocks in 30 minutes without screwing up the alignment. I'm sure your right about the KYBs, I noticed on here the past few days that people are not too fond of them.  I actually got my upper control arms for less than 300 with ball joint and bushings included.  Which shocks do you recommend just for future reference?
69 Charger 440 resto-mod

WHITE AND RED 69

As for shocks, spend the extra money and buy a great quality performance product. If you are just cruising around you can get away with KYBs or other standard shocks. But if you want great handling, cough up the extra cash.  I have been running edelbrock IAS shocks the last few years and they are great but they were discontinued a while back. I hear great things about Bilsteins, QA1, and ridetechs. I just bought the new Hotchkis Fox shocks that were just released, should be here next week and I'll get them on after new years and post up how well they feel.  :2thumbs:
1969 Dodge Charger R/T
1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee
1972 Plymouth Duster

JB400

Firm Feel has a set of shocks that are supposed to be dyno tuned for our cars, so they claim.  I have yet to ask about them as I'm not that far with my project, but it's on the agenda.  They're pricey though at a Ben Franklin per shock, but if they're as good as they claim, well worth it if your into performance driving.

HPP

Think of it this way... shocks are to the suspension as a cam is to the engine. They determine the operating range, feel and performance within that range, and overall characteristics of the feel. There is the potantial for a lot of technology to be packed inside a 2" tube that can really compliment the rest of the system (just like a valve train)or can just margininally be involved with the system and work within a narrow range of comfort and performance.

Firm Feel sells Bilsteins which are the same custom valved RCD Bilsteins that Hotchkis sells. They are a very good shock. Hotchkis has also stepped up another rung with their Fox line. These are probably they high end of bolt in performance shocks for our cars.

garner7555

Thanks for the suggestions. I have still been trying to post pictures but I guess I am gonna have to take some new ones that are lower quality.
69 Charger 440 resto-mod

stripe74au

Quote from: HPP on December 20, 2012, 01:13:16 PM
Think of it this way... shocks are to the suspension as a cam is to the engine. They determine the operating range, feel and performance within that range, and overall characteristics of the feel. There is the potantial for a lot of technology to be packed inside a 2" tube that can really compliment the rest of the system (just like a valve train)or can just margininally be involved with the system and work within a narrow range of comfort and performance.

Firm Feel sells Bilsteins which are the same custom valved RCD Bilsteins that Hotchkis sells. They are a very good shock. Hotchkis has also stepped up another rung with their Fox line. These are probably they high end of bolt in performance shocks for our cars.

I put a set of bilsteins in my charger. I then put a set of koni adjustables on my challenger. The konis were twice the price of the bilsteins, but the bilsteins are by far a much better shock. They ride so nice and offer awesome control and feel. I originally ordered them from Jegs but was told there was a month wait. Spoke to the guys at Firm Feel and they had them for me in a week.

1965 Impala SS convertible
1967 Mustang fastback (work in progress)
1968 Charger R/T - WW1
1969 Roadrunner - R4
1970 Challenger R/T - FC7
1970 AAR 'Cuda - TX9

dangina

Quote from: HPP on December 20, 2012, 01:13:16 PM

shocks are not something you want to cheap out on, $100 a shock is dirt cheap for a performance shock

stripe74au

Yeah but I would buy the Bilsteins again any day of the week.
1965 Impala SS convertible
1967 Mustang fastback (work in progress)
1968 Charger R/T - WW1
1969 Roadrunner - R4
1970 Challenger R/T - FC7
1970 AAR 'Cuda - TX9

dangina

Quote from: WHITE AND RED 69 on December 20, 2012, 01:26:29 AM
As for shocks, spend the extra money and buy a great quality performance product. If you are just cruising around you can get away with KYBs or other standard shocks. But if you want great handling, cough up the extra cash.  I have been running edelbrock IAS shocks the last few years and they are great but they were discontinued a while back. I hear great things about Bilsteins, QA1, and ridetechs. I just bought the new Hotchkis Fox shocks that were just released, should be here next week and I'll get them on after new years and post up how well they feel.  :2thumbs:

do you have the hotchkis tvs package? The new fox shocks are valved to handle the bigger torsion bars (1.10") and their rear leaf spring rate (which i think is 160 or 170lbs), bigger sway bars ect. If your running something softer or harder for a setup, the bilstiens are probably the better way to go

WHITE AND RED 69

Quote from: dangina on December 31, 2012, 01:43:20 AM

do you have the hotchkis tvs package? The new fox shocks are valved to handle the bigger torsion bars (1.10") and their rear leaf spring rate (which i think is 160 or 170lbs), bigger sway bars ect. If your running something softer or harder for a setup, the bilstiens are probably the better way to go

Yep, I've got the TVS setup along with the Hotchkis 1.03" torsion bars. I've heard from others that the edelbrocks and bilsteins have a comparable feel, I'm hoping that the Hotchkis/Fox shocks will be much better.
1969 Dodge Charger R/T
1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee
1972 Plymouth Duster

I've used bilsteins in the past and would definitely use them again. They offer a great firm ride without being harsh. I think they describe it as a euro ride. They are excellent in my opinion.

garner7555

I am anxiously waiting to hear how you like the Fox shocks!!
69 Charger 440 resto-mod

WHITE AND RED 69

Quote from: garner7555 on January 04, 2013, 10:31:11 PM

I am anxiously waiting to hear how you like the Fox shocks!!

Soon...I just haven't had any time to get them on yet. 
1969 Dodge Charger R/T
1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee
1972 Plymouth Duster

garner7555

Finally got a picture to post
69 Charger 440 resto-mod

WHITE AND RED 69

Looks killer! What size rear wheels are those?
1969 Dodge Charger R/T
1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee
1972 Plymouth Duster

garner7555

20 x 10 rear   20 x 8 fronts      Tires are way too big.  I didn't buy these for the charger, I had them laying around and decided to see if they fit.  I liked them on the car, and they fit good, other than the tires are too big. 
255/45/20 Fronts
285/40/20 Rears

I think I would like 18s better but hey, I got these cheap.

Man your car makes me want to paint mine white with red stripe!!!  (I really like your car!!) :2thumbs:
69 Charger 440 resto-mod

garner7555

Picked up a glass hood today for $100.  Its ruff, but I was gonna cut a hole in it anyway for the tunnel ram and that will save my factory hood.
69 Charger 440 resto-mod

WHITE AND RED 69

Quote from: garner7555 on January 11, 2013, 08:45:23 PM
20 x 10 rear   20 x 8 fronts      Tires are way too big.  I didn't buy these for the charger, I had them laying around and decided to see if they fit.  I liked them on the car, and they fit good, other than the tires are too big. 
255/45/20 Fronts
285/40/20 Rears

I think I would like 18s better but hey, I got these cheap.

Man your car makes me want to paint mine white with red stripe!!!  (I really like your car!!) :2thumbs:

Thanks! The rears don't look bad with the 20's. But the fronts look like they must rub pretty bad? Maybe stagger them and get a pair of 18's for the front?
1969 Dodge Charger R/T
1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee
1972 Plymouth Duster

garner7555

Thanks! The rears don't look bad with the 20's. But the fronts look like they must rub pretty bad? Maybe stagger them and get a pair of 18's for the front?
[/quote]

I still don't have the steering box and linkage installed so I'm not sure if its gonna rub or not yet. :scratchchin:  We will see.
69 Charger 440 resto-mod

cdr

LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr

Finn

Quote from: garner7555 on December 18, 2012, 07:27:01 PM
Wow, thanks for the heads up on the sale. I actually just received the Hotchkis springs and shackles today. I ordered through Summit (price looked better).  While ordering I also got a locker for the 8 3/4, all 4 shocks, and a rear adjustable sway bar.  I went through the front suspension this summer and about to tackle rear suspension and brakes this winter. I hope these springs give it a stance like your car,  I have got 20 x 10s on the rear now. It needs to be lowered, the big wheels have it looking a little like my 4x4 truck. Haha.   Out front I used 1.03 T bars, tubular upper control arms, I welded stiffener plates on lower control arms, disc brake conv., heavy sway bar,  and a stage 3 power steering box.  I hope it will handle "better than new" after all this.

Damn, we need pictures of your ride man. Sounds like you're building it right!
1968 Dodge Charger 440, EFI, AirRide suspension
1970 Dodge Challenger RT/SE 383 magnum
1963 Plymouth Savoy 225 with a 3 on the tree.
2002 Dodge Ram 5.9L 360
2014 Dodge Dart 2.4L

garner7555

Quote from: Finn on January 30, 2013, 02:46:40 AM
Quote from: garner7555 on December 18, 2012, 07:27:01 PM

Damn, we need pictures of your ride man. Sounds like you're building it right!

Thanks!!  I hope so but who knows how my choices will work together.  :shruggy: I haven't had time to work on it lately.  Maybe I can get some better pictures up next time I work on it.
69 Charger 440 resto-mod