News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

426 hemi design drawing

Started by sneezi, December 15, 2012, 06:26:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sneezi

Hi Guys
  Im asking this question on behalf of a freind...
He is after the design drawing for the front of a 426 hemi,if anyone can help!

What he is trying to do is design and adapt a gearbox/propellor  to the front of the engine
for the purpose of a home built aircraft.
He needs drawing for the engineer to carry out the design.
thanks in advance.
Mick

JB400

.Unless you're buddy is building something like a 3/4 scale  P 51 Mustang, the hemi is going to be too wide and too heavy.  Also, instead of using the front of the engine, it'd be better to use the bellhousing area to mate up a gear reduction  drive unit.  We used  a unit made for a 4.3 v6 chevy engine by Belted Air Power in my grandpa's Mustang 2.  All you do is mount the engine backwards in the plane with the bellhousing end in the front.  We mounted a radiator over the top of the water pump and a belly unit as well for cooling. :Twocents:

The reason for gearing it down is because of the prop.  If you turn the prop too fast, the prop could break the sound barrier and therefore make itself useless.  Or, it can come apart.

DadsCharger00

Is there anything you guys DON'T know! Wow... :cheers:

Ghoste

Collectively we can even identify the shooter on the grassy knoll and the location of Jimmy Hoffa's remains.

68X426

Quote from: Ghoste on December 15, 2012, 11:51:01 AM
Collectively we can even identify the shooter on the grassy knoll and the location of Jimmy Hoffa's remains.

And we are all smart enough to let only the smart guys answer the questions.

Welcome aboard Stanley.

The 12 Scariest Words in the English Language:
We are Here from The Government and
We Want to Help You.

1968 Plymouth Road Runner, Hemi and much more
2013 Dodge Challenger RT, Hemi, Plum Crazy
2014 Ram 4x4 Hemi, Deep Cherry Pearl
1968 Dodge Charger, 318, not much else
1958 Dodge Pick Up, 383, loud
1966 Dodge Van, /6, slow

Ghoste

I don't know, I think I've demonstrated my lack of knowledge with an incorrect answer on several occasions.  :P

Fred

:smilielol: :smilielol:
That's not funny............that's hilarious!

Tomorrow is promised to no one.......drive your Charger today.

Patronus

Yes, I'd like drawings for $800 please Alex.. :D
'73 Cuda 340 5spd RMS
'69 Charger 383 "Luci"
'08 CRF 450r
'12.5 450SX FE

sneezi

Thanks guys for the replys.
stroker400wedge- i will pass on the drawing to my friend and see if that will work for him
but i know he did mention the front of the engine.  I will assume its due to the direction of rotation of
the crank and the propellor.
I cant remember what model aircraft he is building,but he bought it as an unfinished project with a
twin turbo hemi...
Thanks again guys.
Mick

JB400

Just so you know, car engines rotate clockwise while aircraft engines rotate counter clockwise, unless it's a reverse rotation engine.  That's why the auto conversions that I've seen mount the engine backwards.  There might be some that mount the engine like a car, but, I've yet to hear about it.  Keep me posted :2thumbs:

sneezi

stroker400 wedge-  That drawing is what he is after, i must not of been listening about which end of the motor he needed the drawing for lol.

He is building whats called a Brokaw bullet 1970s design......have you heard of this beast??

JB400

First time hearing about it.  Looked it up though, seems like a fun plane :2thumbs:  I'm glad that is what he was after.  That's why I included both pix.

Did he happen to get a set of plans or is he going off of photographs and reverse engineering the plane?  Either way, I hope he enjoys the building process.  I did.  I just haven't found anyone to take me up yet for my first ride.

Hope to see it in Sport Aviation in the next few years. :2thumbs:

Iron Chef

This is true.  Many of us stay at a Holiday Inn Express every night.
Most of your life should be "off the record."

Ghoste

Haha, I've stayed in them a LOT more than I care to remember.  (a job with travel?  that must be so glamorous)

sneezi

Yes he got the "plans" with the project.
It will be a fair while before it is air worthy and wether you will see it.....im not sure
due to the fact that he is in australia.
Thank you for your help stroker400wedge