News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Any advice on Magnum 500's?

Started by FC7 V code, December 16, 2012, 10:13:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FC7 V code

I'm in the process of getting my 70 Charger road worthy after it has spent the last 15+ years in storage. When I restored/rebuilt it in 1983/84 I put 14" Magnum 500's on it from Year One. It was coded for that and that's the way we went at the time. Needless to say it's 1985 vintage tires need to be replaced at this time if I plan on driving it very far or fast. I've been looking to go with 15" Magnum 500's and use the 14" ones I have on the Charger on my Sons 70 Challenger SE resto. I have looked at posts about Specialty Wheel and Wheel Vintiques on this site and on B-bodies.com. At this point I don't really have a clue who to order 15" Mag 500's from. Both companies have people that love/hate them. Any other companies out there that make a good stock Magnum 500? Any advice? Or is this whole thing just a crap shoot at to who to buy wheels from? I do want to stick with the original look so I really have no interest in going above a 15" on the car. Sorry about the rambling post...real indecision is setting in :shruggy: :confused:
1968 Chrysler 300
1969 Charger
1969 Charger RT/SE
1970 Charger RT/SE
1970 Cuda AAR
1970 Challenger SE
1970 Roadrunner
1982 Trans Am

twodko

You're not the only one who has wrestled with this. My advice, based on personal experience, DO NOT BUY FROM WHEEL VINTIQUES! I bought my 500's from WV and within a month the black paint began to peel right off. The problem? You can not paint over chrome unless its been roughed up. When I called WV to bitch and demand replacements they sent me a used can of black spray paint. True story!

Look into Specialty Wheels and the group buy section herein.   :Twocents:
FLY NAVY/Marine Corps or take the bus!

bull

Quote from: twodko on December 16, 2012, 01:00:43 PM
You're not the only one who has wrestled with this. My advice, based on personal experience, DO NOT BUY FROM WHEEL VINTIQUES! I bought my 500's from WV and within a month the black paint began to peel right off. The problem? You can not paint over chrome unless its been roughed up. When I called WV to bitch and demand replacements they sent me a used can of black spray paint. True story!

Look into Specialty Wheels and the group buy section herein.   :Twocents:

The info on that thread is no longer valid, however, on the main 'Charger Discussion' board here there's some info about getting the Specialty Wheel discount another way. http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95655.0.htm

I need to get it figured out and change that group buy thread one of these days.

Mopar Nut

I purchased AR500 (American Racing) through Jegs, 15" x 10" and 15" x 8". Couldn't be happier.
"Dear God, my prayer for 2024 is a fat bank account and a thin body. Please don't mix these up like you did the last ten years."

moparfan53

I bought a set of 15x7 from Specialty Wheel and am pleased with them. Have run them for 2 summers, about 3,000 miles. No problems yet with the black paint (hope it stays that way :laugh:). As you probably know, they sell two styles, the "Chrysler Magnum" and the 1969 up "Chrysler Road Wheel". I prefer the trim ring look so went with the Road Wheel style, and also prefer 15" over 14". In my opinion, Chrysler should have had 15" magnums from the factory.

http://www.specialtywheel.com/product-showcase/mopar.html

Below is pic of one on my car.

I am sure you must be excited about getting your Charger back on the road. :2thumbs: I know I was, mine was off the road from 1982 until June 2011.

bill440rt

15x7's from Specialty Wheel here as well. (I still need to get them mounted & balanced.)
I had a set of their 14's on the car for well over a decade with no problems. They still looked show quality after all those years. I stuck with them after hearing horror stories about Wheel Vintiques.
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

1970Moparmann

Quote from: twodko on December 16, 2012, 01:00:43 PM
DO NOT BUY FROM WHEEL VINTIQUES!

I agree.  I purchased these for my Coronet and they are rusting already!  Prior to the rust starting, I think I may have had 1,000 on them with the only water they seen was washing the car once or twice with a hose.  :RantExplode:
My name is Mike and I'm a Moparholic!

Just 6T9 CHGR

Quote from: moparfan53 on December 17, 2012, 08:50:06 PM
I bought a set of 15x7 from Specialty Wheel and am pleased with them. Have run them for 2 summers, about 3,000 miles. No problems yet with the black paint (hope it stays that way :laugh:). As you probably know, they sell two styles, the "Chrysler Magnum" and the 1969 up "Chrysler Road Wheel". I prefer the trim ring look so went with the Road Wheel style, and also prefer 15" over 14". In my opinion, Chrysler should have had 15" magnums from the factory.

http://www.specialtywheel.com/product-showcase/mopar.html

Below is pic of one on my car.

I am sure you must be excited about getting your Charger back on the road. :2thumbs: I know I was, mine was off the road from 1982 until June 2011.

I had the same wheels on my car since 2002 with no problems.  Sold them last year to fund the steels & dog dishes.

One thing I did in 2009 was replace the chrome trim rings supplied by Specialty with brushed rings I got from Summit racing....made the wheels look more "correct" IMHO
Chris' '69 Charger R/T