News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

37 amp alternator characteristics and upgrade

Started by Voss, December 15, 2012, 12:53:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Voss

I am looking to rebuild a factory 37 amp alternator (2642537) for my '68 Charger. As been discussed many times before the charging at idle (typically with gear in, headlights on, radio on, foot on the brakes) is rather weak.

The car is original without A/C. My idea is to fit an improved stator winding in a OEM core to help up the idle characteristics. I do not see the benefit of having a much higher amp output since then we are looking at serious mods to the electrical system and wirings. And it is only excessive idling (600 rpm with radio and all lights on) which I see as a THE #1 problem (typically cruise nights and car shows). I know there is a lot of mods out there with Denso alternators, smaller pulleys, improved wiring and stuff but it would be interesting to discuss how to upgrade the internals, such as the diodes and stator winding, of the OEM alternator.

Has anyone done such upgrades? I have also searched for a characteristics curve (rpm vs amp) for the 2642537 alternator, without luck...  :shruggy: Can anyone fill me in on the details?