News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

WTF !!!!Words can't describe,school shooting in Ct

Started by 69 OUR/TEA, December 14, 2012, 01:48:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

skip68

I think "gun control" is the key words.    It seems most agree.   Anyone with a minimum of a 5th grade education is capable of understanding that with literally hundreds of millions of guns just in the U.S it would be impossible to get rid of them.   
    Controlling them better is key.  That is something I don't have an answer for.    I think that when the kids are in high school the signs are showing for the students that are loners.    Something needs to be done at that point to get involved with these troubled teens before it's to late.  School counselors need to be looking for these signs and get more involved with the parents.   This won't solve everything but it's a start.    Unfortunately there are just bad people and they will always find a way in their mind to get even.  Just like the guy about 100 years ago that murdered a family (parents and 6 children) with an axe. Just plain sick.   I think we're going to see this turn into less talk about guns and more about mental illness because the truth is that's really what it is. 
skip68, A.K.A. Chuck \ 68 Charger 440 auto\ 67 Camaro RS (no 440)       FRANKS & BEANS !!!

skip68

Just like the no guns on planes.   Hijackers say OK, we'll us razor blades.   
THE REAL WEAPON ISN'T A GUN OR KNIFE OR BOMB, IT'S MOTIVE.   We need to get rid of the MOTIVE in these sick people.   
skip68, A.K.A. Chuck \ 68 Charger 440 auto\ 67 Camaro RS (no 440)       FRANKS & BEANS !!!

hemi68charger

Quote from: skip68 on December 17, 2012, 10:27:15 AM
I think "gun control" is the key words.    It seems most agree.   Anyone with a minimum of a 5th grade education is capable of understanding that with literally hundreds of millions of guns just in the U.S it would be impossible to get rid of them.   

True enough,,,  But, we don't need any more... There's nothing to say we can't address the ever growing number of assault weapons in the country. While we do that, we can address the social cause as well. There's no "right or wrong" or "single" answer to the problem. It is extremely complicated. Until there is open discussion about this at a legislative level, NOTHING will be solved and people will continue to die...... The stance on there being too many is a product of no-attention to the matter to begin with which has lead us to "there are too many out there"... Well, of course there is..... Every administration has put it on the back burner.....  
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

chargerboy69

Quote from: hemi68charger on December 16, 2012, 09:19:16 PM
Quote from: charger_fan_4ever on December 16, 2012, 08:54:08 PM

.... Lets face it when you have a freak with an ak-47 charging a school what are you going to do say please put that down and lets talk about it ? Only chance the poor souls would have is if there was someone that could fire back.

Make it so NO scumbag could ever get a AK-47 ( or any semi to full automatic rapid fired weapon )... Assault rifles like this have no business being in civilian hands.... If you don't make it available, they won't use it.....  people can still go hunting with their regular rifles and/or bows...... I'm all for the 2nd amendment, but I seriously doubt our founding fathers would have ever envisioned such weaponry and carnage that's becoming a "normal" part of our society. I really think we need their wisdom again.........

I agree, no "scumbag should have a AK, but don't our laws already try to prevent this, felons, mental illness,ect. And from what I read this murder did apply for a permit and was denied.  

Where I disagree you is you believe I should not have a AR15. I promise, anyone wanting to take away one of my AR's will not do so easily. He had two hand guns and a AR.  He could have easily done this with two extra magazines for the hand guns and no AR.  So if we ban AR's, and this happens again are you going to want to take away my handguns too?  Where are you going to stop?

AR-15 rifles are being used more often by hunters. I go out with my two brother-in-laws, both in law enforcement.  We all take our AR's. These rifles are lighter, weather resistant, waterproof, easier to clean, better for customization, replacement parts are cheaper, and serve more than one purpose. Hunting, target shooting, competition, home defense, zombies, and homeland security. It's a multi-purpose, all weather, all terrain, firearm. Hey, and they come in many calibers. You can switch the upper for a lighter caliber like for varmint, or switch it to a higher one for deer season. It's more affordable in the long run.

Once again, it is not the gun, it is the person holding the gun. Just because you take the gun away, does not mean they will not find another way.

We should ban murder why we are at it.  :rotz:
Indiana Army National Guard 1st Battalion, 293rd Infantry. Nightfighters. Fort Wayne Indiana.

A government big enough to give you everything you need, is a government big enough to take away everything that you have.
--Gerald Ford

skip68

I watched that one Alaskan show where the guys were out checking traps and the one guy had an AR15.  I told my son that's the gun to have for protection against wolves and ect.    :yesnod:   Guess I better buy a few more 30 round "bullet holders" before they are outlawed.   :icon_smile_wink:

sunfire69

these clowns learn selfcontrol and social skills from their parents.....this won't be the last time this happens.....no one has respect for authority.....and they have no idea how to handle even the most basic situation in a civil manner....

http://www.nbcwashington.com/news/local/Va-Mom-Charged-With-Assaulting-School-Bus-Driver-183767611.html

stripedelete

Quote from: chargerboy69 on December 17, 2012, 10:53:38 AM
Quote from: hemi68charger on December 16, 2012, 09:19:16 PM
Quote from: charger_fan_4ever on December 16, 2012, 08:54:08 PM

.... Lets face it when you have a freak with an ak-47 charging a school what are you going to do say please put that down and lets talk about it ? Only chance the poor souls would have is if there was someone that could fire back.

Make it so NO scumbag could ever get a AK-47 ( or any semi to full automatic rapid fired weapon )... Assault rifles like this have no business being in civilian hands.... If you don't make it available, they won't use it.....  people can still go hunting with their regular rifles and/or bows...... I'm all for the 2nd amendment, but I seriously doubt our founding fathers would have ever envisioned such weaponry and carnage that's becoming a "normal" part of our society. I really think we need their wisdom again.........

I agree, no "scumbag should have a AK, but don't our laws already try to prevent this, felons, mental illness,ect.

The gun controll supporters will be basing their case exactly on your statement.   The fact is the current law did not prevent the stupid parent from bringing guns into a home with a mentally ill child.

It will come out that she bought the guns to appease the kid.  I will bet you anything the condition was "only at the range and with me". 
IMO, this one lies squarely on her shoulders, but, legislators will not see it that way.  Parents are never to blame.  (In this case they can't blame the school. That has to be tough.)   

skip68

Stripedelete, that was my first thought when I heard the mom owned the guns.   She may have bought them for him which isn't uncommon.  I bought my son his rifle for his 16th birthday.   I'm sure others here have done the same.   

mrsskip68

Cooter

Assault weapons are banned right?

But, I can go on the internet and buy every piece I need to build one at home if I wanted to.
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

chargerboy69

Quote from: Cooter on December 17, 2012, 12:40:37 PM
Assault weapons are banned right?

But, I can go on the internet and buy every piece I need to build one at home if I wanted to.

Ahhhh. . . .no.  That would be called a felony.

People lump all kinds of guns under the term "Assault Weapon".  There is a ban on automatic weapons after 1986.  A private citizen can not buy/own a automatic weapon made after 1986.  You can still buy/own a automatic weapon made before 1986, but you have to pay the tax, federal background check and have a interview with your local police chief or sheriff and have them sign off.  Plus, the prices are so high, not many can afford one.

Indiana Army National Guard 1st Battalion, 293rd Infantry. Nightfighters. Fort Wayne Indiana.

A government big enough to give you everything you need, is a government big enough to take away everything that you have.
--Gerald Ford

hemi68charger

Where I disagree you is you believe I should not have a AR15. I promise, anyone wanting to take away one of my AR's will not do so easily. He had two hand guns and a AR.  He could have easily done this with two extra magazines for the hand guns and no AR.  So if we ban AR's, and this happens again are you going to want to take away my handguns too?  Where are you going to stop?

AR-15 rifles are being used more often by hunters. I go out with my two brother-in-laws, both in law enforcement.  We all take our AR's. These rifles are lighter, weather resistant, waterproof, easier to clean, better for customization, replacement parts are cheaper, and serve more than one purpose. Hunting, target shooting, competition, home defense, zombies, and homeland security. It's a multi-purpose, all weather, all terrain, firearm. Hey, and they come in many calibers. You can switch the upper for a lighter caliber like for varmint, or switch it to a higher one for deer season. It's more affordable in the long run.

Once again, it is not the gun, it is the person holding the gun. Just because you take the gun away, does not mean they will not find another way.

This is where we, as a country and culture need a paradigm shift. Give up the convenience of a lighter hunting rifle so that one more child, or person for that matter, can live.... Take the guns out of the equation (notice I didn't say ALL guns- only weapons of mass assault)........... Period... Let's try that for a while....... What we have been doing is,, well,,,ah guess what, isn't working.  Hunters wanting cheaper and cheaper, lighter and lighter weapons....... I'm sorry, I don't see that bigger picture.. All I see is self-indulgence... It's all about me, me, me, not us, us, us as a culture... Don't want to create a rift, but, I'll do what I need to do to get these dangs things out of here so that,,, in the future, if some mentally disturbed individual wants one, it'll be harder and harder to carry out such acts. Why do we lock car doors when we go to the mall or most public establishments, to deter those will bad intentions....

Oh, and by the way, murder is banded... By Law...... It is just that some people don't follow it.... I think there needs to be a new Law of the Land......  Our culture has become so desensitized with reality...  Yes, there will ALWAYS be murder in our world... Why don't we try to reduce the carnage in any given amount of time?
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

moparstuart

Quote from: hemi68charger on December 17, 2012, 01:39:13 PM

This is where we, as a country and culture need a paradigm shift. Give up the convenience of a lighter hunting rifle so that one more child, or person for that matter, can live.... Take the guns out of the equation (notice I didn't say ALL guns- only weapons of mass assault)........... Period... Let's try that for a while....... What we have been doing is,, well,,,ah guess what, isn't working.  Hunters wanting cheaper and cheaper, lighter and lighter weapons....... I'm sorry, I don't see that bigger picture.. All I see is self-indulgence... It's all about me, me, me, not us, us, us as a culture... Don't want to create a rift, but, I'll do what I need to do to get these dangs things out of here so that,,, in the future, if some mentally disturbed individual wants one, it'll be harder and harder to carry out such acts. Why do we lock car doors when we go to the mall or most public establishments, to deter those will bad intentions....

Oh, and by the way, murder is banded... By Law...... It is just that some people don't follow it.... I think there needs to be a new Law of the Land......  Our culture has become so desensitized with reality...  Yes, there will ALWAYS be murder in our world... Why don't we try to reduce the carnage in any given amount of time?

well said
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

lisiecki1

Can we ban large animals, or groups of animals when they attack a hunter that doesn't have time to appropriately reload to save their life or the life of a friend/fellow hunter?
Remember the average response time to a 911 call is over 4 minutes.

The average response time of a 357 magnum is 1400 FPS.

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,52527.0.html

stripedelete

Quote from: skip68 on December 17, 2012, 12:15:18 PM
Stripedelete, that was my first thought when I heard the mom owned the guns.   She may have bought them for him which isn't uncommon.  I bought my son his rifle for his 16th birthday.   I'm sure others here have done the same.   

Nothing wrong with that - common practice in my time.  My first shogun and rifle were purchased by my parents.

With early exposure and strict supervision I was hunting, unsupervised, with my friends, at age 13.  Safety was already a reflex and we were completely and utterly by the book.  We were the poster kids for gun/hunting safety.  We really did understand what a gun could do and dead was dead.  And our video game was PONG. Of course none of us were mentally ill.  (I have no doubt all the same applies to your son).  In addition, in that place and time, guns were a right-of-passage .  Nooooobody wanted that privilege revoked.  

Hard to imagine now.

resq302

Just because we have laws doesn't mean that criminals will follow them!  Sure we can have tougher gun laws however, that will only make it harder for the good, honest person to obtain them.  There was talk in my town about having the schools replace the exterior glass with bullet proof glass.  Depending on what kind of glass they get, that would be way too much of an expense at once for the tax payers to burden.  Also, if they get the lexan bullet proof glass used on the exterior windows, they will be replacing it every so often due to sun degradation!  The problem has to be addressed period!  Also, who is to say that someone doesn't hold a door open for someone coming in behind them.  I know I am guilty of it from time to time!  The only answer is to have an armed security guard or Class 2 special officer who are allowed to carry hand guns in the schools.  This will not only provide security but also deter any other incident such as drugs, bullying, etc.

Lets face it, would you go into someplace knowing there could be someone around the corner who might shoot back?
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

JB400

Putting an armed guard in front of anything is just going to make him the first target.  If someone wants to accomplish something, they're going to do it.  We just need to make it harder for these crazies to accomplish their goals :Twocents:

lisiecki1

Quote from: stroker400 wedge on December 17, 2012, 01:51:19 PM
Putting an armed guard in front of anything is just going to make him the first target.  If someone wants to accomplish something, they're going to do it.  We just need to make it harder for these crazies to accomplish their goals :Twocents:

How do you propose that can be accomplished?

JB400

Quote from: stroker400 wedge on December 17, 2012, 04:19:20 AM
We're walking on a double edged sword with how to deal with this issue.  First off, gun control.  Not everyone needs to have one.  Actually, I cannot justify having an automatic weapon.  What really is one good for?  Of course, the same can be said for having a Hemi as a daily driver.  But, I understand the fascination of owning powerful stuff.  We do however need to limit how many of these are on the market and have a better idea of where they are at and how they are used.  If collectors want to have them, fine.  I believe the collectors should inventory their weapons every year so the police know where these weapons are at.  Also, we ban gun makers from making new automatics.  That'll raise the price of them immediately to where the average joe has a harder time affording them.  Right now, I can buy an automatic rifle for $100.  I think this should be step one to solving this problem.  Gun collectors are not the problem, the average joe and jane is; they are less responsible than a collector.

We also need to have more self control in society.  Bullying is a problem, and is probably the number one reason of what causes people to do irrational things they would normally not do.  I even read it on here.  I see steps taken of the cartoon chanels and am happy with what I see, but more can and should be done.

I also think we need to make our justice system more public.  Right now, very little of a case is made public.  I hear of people going to court and to jail, but that is it.  Way back when, executions were done in public for everyone to see.  Yes, it was disgusting, but it was an effective deterant.  If people would just see what happens to these people that do these things, they will think twice.  Also, we need to quit making 5  star resorts for criminals.  A criminal should not have a 30 vacation at my or anybody elses expense.  No net, no t v, no entertainment.  You do a crime, your locked in a room.  In addition, we need to speed up sentencing and executions.  Now a days, everything is drawn out to make more money for the courts and the lawyers. :flame:  If someone kills another person, I'd give 5 years for them to make an appeal after sentencing.  After that, it's the chopping block by any means necassary.  There will be no fame in it either.  Your name will not be mentioned.  After you commit a crime, you lost your right to an identity until your free.
I hate repeating myself.  Quoting myself is almost as bad :lol:

lisiecki1

Quote from: stroker400 wedge on December 17, 2012, 01:56:43 PM
Quote from: stroker400 wedge on December 17, 2012, 04:19:20 AM
We're walking on a double edged sword with how to deal with this issue.  First off, gun control.  Not everyone needs to have one.  Actually, I cannot justify having an automatic weapon.  What really is one good for?  Of course, the same can be said for having a Hemi as a daily driver.  But, I understand the fascination of owning powerful stuff.  We do however need to limit how many of these are on the market and have a better idea of where they are at and how they are used.  If collectors want to have them, fine.  I believe the collectors should inventory their weapons every year so the police know where these weapons are at.  Also, we ban gun makers from making new automatics.  That'll raise the price of them immediately to where the average joe has a harder time affording them.  Right now, I can buy an automatic rifle for $100.  I think this should be step one to solving this problem.  Gun collectors are not the problem, the average joe and jane is; they are less responsible than a collector.

We also need to have more self control in society.  Bullying is a problem, and is probably the number one reason of what causes people to do irrational things they would normally not do.  I even read it on here.  I see steps taken of the cartoon chanels and am happy with what I see, but more can and should be done.

I also think we need to make our justice system more public.  Right now, very little of a case is made public.  I hear of people going to court and to jail, but that is it.  Way back when, executions were done in public for everyone to see.  Yes, it was disgusting, but it was an effective deterant.  If people would just see what happens to these people that do these things, they will think twice.  Also, we need to quit making 5  star resorts for criminals.  A criminal should not have a 30 vacation at my or anybody elses expense.  No net, no t v, no entertainment.  You do a crime, your locked in a room.  In addition, we need to speed up sentencing and executions.  Now a days, everything is drawn out to make more money for the courts and the lawyers. :flame:  If someone kills another person, I'd give 5 years for them to make an appeal after sentencing.  After that, it's the chopping block by any means necassary.  There will be no fame in it either.  Your name will not be mentioned.  After you commit a crime, you lost your right to an identity until your free.
I hate repeating myself.  Quoting myself is almost as bad :lol:

You can not buy an automatic weapon for $100.  Nobody can.  I agree that making the justice system more public and expedient may help, but crazy is crazy no matter how you slice it.

JB400

I can buy a .22 automatic rifle off of a private individual for $100.  If I can, so can quite a few other people.

But, I don't see the reasoning for owning an automatic, so that is why I haven't bought it.

TheGhost

"I think I'm gonna go rob a bank, maybe murder a bunch of people.  Oh shit, wait, I forgot that assault rifles are illegal!  There is absolutely no way that I can use an illegal weapon to commit a felony!  I guess I'm just shit out of luck, huh?"

For the record, none of those children were killed by an "assault weapon".  If I remember correctly, neither was anyone at Colombine, or most of the other school shootings.

"Gun control" will do nothing except remove guns from the hands of law abiding citizens.  To believe anything otherwise is foolish.
Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.  Especially if they have access to the internet.

lisiecki1

Quote from: stroker400 wedge on December 17, 2012, 02:07:54 PM
I can buy a .22 automatic rifle off of a private individual for $100.  If I can, so can quite a few other people.

But, I don't see the reasoning for owning an automatic, so that is why I haven't bought it.

If that's true, and you really care about this scenario, why have you not contacted the authorities?  The sale of a fully automatic weapon to an individual without a class 3 weapons license is a federal offense.

So, are we talking about an automatic rifle, or a semi-automatic rifle?

For the sake of argument; an automatic rifle was not used in this situation, or in the mall situation, or in any other recent situation for that matter.  

sunfire69

You beat me to it....the sell or transfer of a fully automic weapon is a felony....so he is ok with that....???...this is our problem....here we have an instance where a person knows sombody who is trying to commit a firearm felony but does nothing....but want tighter controls on everybodys elses legally held guns....

JB400

I don't know if it's auto or semi auto.  Yes, he has all the proper paperwork and informed me that I would have to do the same.  But, since I'm not interested in the gun,  I see no need in filing the paperwork.