News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

MotorTrend Driver Scared of Viper

Started by JB400, December 18, 2012, 01:40:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JB400

Jalopnik reported say that SRT CEO Ralph Gilles called out the test driver at Motor Trend for being scared of the 2013 SRT Viper during a recent comparison test of the 2013 SRT Viper and the ZR1 Corvette.  Ralph Gilles wrote that fear of the Viper was a factor in the test results, after three-time SCCA World Challenge champion Randy Probst piloted the Corvette around the course slightly more quickly than the Viper. Gilles tweeted, "...There is a lot more left in the car, Randy has always struggled with the Viper." While Jalopnik defended Probst's skills, they also had some support for Gilles' criticism, noting that the magazine called the Viper scary to drive and that the "hard to handle" nature of the Viper is a draw for its buyers. Jalopnik also pointed out that Motor Trend's competition and handling of the comparison is  "... exactly why they do it. It's thoughtless trolling and they do it all the time because it works every time. Have no fear Ralph, a Viper, perhaps an ACR or something, will be pitted against a Corvette again. Trust us. ... it might happen next month. This is also what they do.  It's called "building a narrative" and this is only the latest chapter. Useful reportage? Maybe not, but it is good theatre and Gilles is playing along nicely."   [2013 SRT Viper]

Ghoste

Jalopnik summed it up pretty well didn't they?

JB400

Yeah, they did.  Makes you wonder though of what other cars the drivers are afraid of.

Aero426

It is Randy POBST, not Probst.    Not related to the survivor guy,  :rofl:

John_Kunkel

At one point in the Viper's history there was a statistic that half (50%) of the Vipers ever built had been wrecked. The "fear" might be well founded.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

JB400

Quote from: John_Kunkel on December 18, 2012, 04:39:11 PM

At one point in the Viper's history there was a statistic that half (50%) of the Vipers ever built had been wrecked. The "fear" might be well founded.
Checking this site out might back up that claim.

http://x2builders.com/gallery.asp?catid=Used Parts for Sale - Dodge Viper

Aero426

I have to think that a pro driver like Pobst would not just leave two seconds on the table.   That is a HUGE amount of time for a guy like him.   

Ponch ®

Quote from: Aero426 on December 18, 2012, 05:13:19 PM
I have to think that a pro driver like Pobst would not just leave two seconds on the table.   That is a HUGE amount of time for a guy like him.    

One of the commenters on the Jalopnik article made a good point: Assuming that the test driver, a professional, was "afraid" of pushing the car to its limits...then of what use are those "limits" to any of us "mere mortals" who may buy the car?
"I spent most of my money on cars, birds, and booze. The rest I squandered." - George Best

Chrysler Performance West

Dino

All the power in the world won't do you much good if you can't use it.  Like other cars of that ilk, this one may sell just for bragging rights. 
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

Ponch ®

Quote from: Dino on December 19, 2012, 11:14:39 AM
All the power in the world won't do you much good if you can't use it.  Like other cars of that ilk, this one may sell just for bragging rights. 

Exactly. I'd be willing to bet that the majority of Veyrons, for example, have never even been driven above 100 mph - if they are driven at all.
"I spent most of my money on cars, birds, and booze. The rest I squandered." - George Best

Chrysler Performance West

68X426

Quote from: Ponch ® on December 21, 2012, 04:32:37 PM
Quote from: Dino on December 19, 2012, 11:14:39 AM
All the power in the world won't do you much good if you can't use it.  Like other cars of that ilk, this one may sell just for bragging rights.  

Exactly. I'd be willing to bet that the majority of Veyrons, for example, have never even been driven above 100 mph - if they are driven at all.

Ponch & Dino: you are right on.

Here's the test driver they should hire for a proper test ride (Wile E. don't care):

The 12 Scariest Words in the English Language:
We are Here from The Government and
We Want to Help You.

1968 Plymouth Road Runner, Hemi and much more
2013 Dodge Challenger RT, Hemi, Plum Crazy
2014 Ram 4x4 Hemi, Deep Cherry Pearl
1968 Dodge Charger, 318, not much else
1958 Dodge Pick Up, 383, loud
1966 Dodge Van, /6, slow