News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

A few 1968 Dodge Charger Questions?

Started by kevink, December 10, 2012, 08:47:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kevink

I am looking at a 1968 Dodge Charger that in almost a Maroon in color. Do you guys know what that color was called? Also, with the current economy being as it is, what is a fair price for a numbers matching original interior car with no know/rust showing car? Thanks for any help and other info you can provide.

skip68

Need some pics.   What motor, tranny and options does it have? 
skip68, A.K.A. Chuck \ 68 Charger 440 auto\ 67 Camaro RS (no 440)       FRANKS & BEANS !!!

bakerhillpins

Get pics of the trouble spots: Trunk, lower rear window channels, lower rear quarters, rockers, underside... etc.

Broadcast sheet, Fender tag? Pic of the tag would help.
One great wife (Life is good)
14 RAM 1500 5.7 Hemi Crew Cab (crap hauler)
69 Dodge Charger R/T, Q5, C6X, V1X, V88  (Life is WAY better)
96' VFR750 (Sweet)
Capt. Lyme Vol. Fire

"Inspiration is for amateurs - the rest of us just show up and get to work." -Chuck Close
"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." -Albert Einstein
Go that way, really fast. If something gets in your way, turn.
Science flies you to the moon, Religion flies you into buildings.

skip68

Get the VIN# and post it if you can.   :cheers:
skip68, A.K.A. Chuck \ 68 Charger 440 auto\ 67 Camaro RS (no 440)       FRANKS & BEANS !!!

kevink

It is a numbers matching 440 auto with console. The interior is original to the car. Still has the factor radio and all. Has one repaint. The motor has never been rebuilt nor has the transmission. The car is not favorite color being a burgandy color with red/burgandy interior in it.

1970Moparmann

Quote from: kevink on December 10, 2012, 09:09:42 PM
It is a numbers matching 440 auto with console. The interior is original to the car. Still has the factor radio and all. Has one repaint. The motor has never been rebuilt nor has the transmission. The car is not favorite color being a burgandy color with red/burgandy interior in it.

So it's an RT?

I agree pictures would help with the VIN # and the fender tag information. 

Without any pictures or detail, I'm going low at $15 - $17k.  :2thumbs:
My name is Mike and I'm a Moparholic!

kevink

It is an R/T... I am working on pictures now.... The guys says no rust either.

bakerhillpins

Quote from: kevink on December 10, 2012, 09:20:06 PM

That's what they all say... what they mean is there isn't any rust in the pics I sent you.  :P
96' VFR750 (Sweet)
Capt. Lyme Vol. Fire

"Inspiration is for amateurs - the rest of us just show up and get to work." -Chuck Close
"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." -Albert Einstein

1970Moparmann

Quote from: bakerhillpins on December 10, 2012, 09:25:41 PM
Quote from: kevink on December 10, 2012, 09:20:06 PM

That's what they all say... what they mean is there isn't any rust in the pics I sent you.  :P

Amen to that.  I can't tell you how many times I've heard that!

If your really serious about the car, get as many pictures and details as you can, then if it checks out, go see it.  Pick it apart and then make an offer.

I've seen too many people get screwed on deals.  Unfortunately, trust no one unless someone can vouch for the person.

kevink

Here is one picture..

skip68

An A/C car.   :2thumbs:   I thought that R/T's didn't come with AC?     :shruggy:

bakerhillpins

Quote from: skip68 on December 10, 2012, 10:06:47 PM
An A/C car.   :2thumbs:   I thought that R/T's didn't come with AC?     :shruggy:

RT auto's - yes,   RT 4spds - no.  My 69 RT has AC.

383 auto or 4spd - yes.
96' VFR750 (Sweet)
Capt. Lyme Vol. Fire

kevink

I am having a hard time posting other photos... They are either too large or just will not load. But, the rest of the car is similar to the inside. Any idea what this is worth? The paint appears to be in good shape as well. It has the original trunk pan judging by the pictures. which I am assuming it means it was never a rust bucket?

skip68

I'm just tossing a number out....$25,000 ballpark. 

kevink

Thanks for the input... I think it will take $30,000 to buy it. I am just not sure that the car is worth that. I have seen some really nice restored cars sell for not much more than that. Any thoughts please chime in. Thanks again for you help. It is great to have group as knowledge as you guys to fall back on.

Cooter

Quote from: kevink on December 11, 2012, 12:57:57 AM
Thanks for the input... I think it will take $30,000 to buy it. I am just not sure that the car is worth that. I have seen some really nice restored cars sell for not much more than that. Any thoughts please chime in. Thanks again for you help. It is great to have group as knowledge as you guys to fall back on.

Just be sure the "Restored" cars you refer to weren't being sold off due to despiration. Just because you saw what APPEARED to be a nicely restored Charger go for peanuts because either A. Seller was stupid, and in finacial trouble (despirate), or B. Car only APPEAREd to be nicely resoted. Doesn't mean that is the "Market". True, this car Appears to be nice, but without seeing MUCH more detailed photos, It's a crap shoot at best guessing prices.

Bottom line is, I keep seeing people referring to how "Crazy" some of the sellers are here, and most just might be, but nobody's gonna take a HUGE loss just because buyers have big dreams and small wallets. I would LOVE to have a Ferarri, but Ferarri isn't gonna lower their pricetags because my broke ass can't afford one.
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

1970Moparmann

Quote from: kevink on December 11, 2012, 12:57:57 AM

$30k is too much.

skip68

I'd still feel better if we had a VIN#.   If you could get us at least the first 5 digits of the VIN that will tell us for sure what it is.
It would also be good to have a member here that's close check it out.   We do this all the time.   :cheers:

Ghoste

Quote from: Cooter on December 11, 2012, 07:38:17 AM

Bottom line is, I keep seeing people referring to how "Crazy" some of the sellers are here, and most just might be, but nobody's gonna take a HUGE loss just because buyers have big dreams and small wallets.

All very true, but at the same time, why should I compensate a seller who was moronic enough to buy into the whole notion that these cars double in value every few months that led to the price bubble in 2007.  Just because someone paid whatever it took to own their dream car before the economy tanked doens't mean that value is correct either.  The fact is, thes cars are worth less than they were five years ago and a lot of sellers who aren't desparate still have come to grips with that.
There is a middle ground but we rarely talk about that, we only discuss the crazy sellers or the big dream buyers and not the cars in the middle.

kevink

I have asked for a VIN/fender tag picture. I will post it as soon as it arrived. As stated earlier by someone, I see these cars listed all over the place for $65,000+. It is hard for me to get a grasp on reality when the pricing is so all over the place from $16500 - $85,000. I know that the condition and restoration of the car has a lot to do with the price but, $65,000 - $85,000 for a 68 R/T? I booked the car the only place I could find to do so and the average retail was roughly $28,000.

bakerhillpins

Quote from: kevink on December 10, 2012, 10:24:36 PM
I am having a hard time posting other photos... They are either too large or just will not load. But, the rest of the car is similar to the inside. Any idea what this is worth? The paint appears to be in good shape as well. It has the original trunk pan judging by the pictures. which I am assuming it means it was never a rust bucket?

Check out the Help desk section, there are several threads about posting pics and what you need to do to get them to post. (unique name from any other pic on the site, under 200kb, etc)
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php?board=3.0
96' VFR750 (Sweet)
Capt. Lyme Vol. Fire

skip68

Kevin, it's obvious you are new to these cars and I'd feel alot better if you have someone that knows these cars look at it for / or with you.   At least you're doing your homework and are here.    :2thumbs:   So many guys learn the hard way and that sucks.   Where are you located? Where's the car?    I'd say the real world market for a nice clean R/T is $28k to $38k.  NOT $85,000. That price gets you into the HEMI range.    

kevink

I am in Southern Part of Alabama and the car is in Indianapolis, IN..... Who here lives close to there?

skip68

Not sure but I bet several are close.  If you are really interested in this car you should start a new thread here asking for any members in this area that can check out a car for me.   :2thumbs: