News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

68 Power window motor and regulator restoration

Started by DC_1, May 07, 2012, 09:46:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DC_1

I tore my car apart for a long over due restoration of a lot of details that were never done 15+ years ago when the body and paint was done. Since my vent windows needed rechroming I though I would tear he doors apart while I was at it and rebuild the window regulators and motors. I know you can buy new widow motors from anywhere between $50-80 depending on where you look but mine were working fine. They just looked pretty beat up. I thought to b safe, if I was going to clean them up I better tear them apart and try and service what I could.

Here is a before pic so you can see what I began with

******WORD OF CAUTION**** I highlighted in yellow the hole where  stuck a screw driver so the recoil spring wouldn't remove my fingers when I unbolted the motor. Make sure to power the motor on the bench using a batt charger and grounding to the motor to make it move to the desirable location so you can put the screw driver in the hole. Please be carefull when removing the motor while there is still tension on the spring. Once the motor is off you can slowly rotate the arm while maintaining pressure to keep it from spinning uncontrollably.

DC_1

I disassembeled everything and took pics of everything I had.

DC_1

I cleaned everything up using a combinnation of degreaser, wire wheel, bead blaster, dremel and old fashion scrubbing.

I used electrical cleaner to clean the part that had dust and dirt from the power contacts. I used my dremel withh an abraisive end to clean the contact brushes and blew everything clean with compressed air.

DC_1

DC_1

I gave all the bare metal parts a couple coats of etch primer and let them dry over night. Then I got a pint of Tremclad gloss black and Tremclad aluminium and thinned it enough to shoot in my gun. I figure the Tremclad is a pretty durable finish and since these components will not really see the light of day it should protect them pretty well.

DC_1

I greased everything and put it all back together.

Dino

Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

mpdlawdog

nice work...I did mine last year but I bought new motors from NAPA.  I wish you would have posted that before I did mine...have a nice scar from the recoil spring..got my hand pinched when I took it apart!
"Life is Tough...It's even tougher when you are stupid"  -John Wayne-

Dino

What's the little round, black thingymajiggy called on the end of the regulator?  I need some of those.

moparfan53

Quote from: Dino on December 05, 2012, 08:11:12 AM
What's the little round, black thingymajiggy called on the end of the regulator?  I need some of those.

I call them rollers but have heard them also called bushings and wheels. RTspecialties has some on their site but the application is not clear for all of them.

http://www.rtspecialties.net/products.asp?cat=10

:cheers:

Dino

Quote from: moparfan53 on December 05, 2012, 07:00:46 PM
Quote from: Dino on December 05, 2012, 08:11:12 AM

I call them rollers but have heard them also called bushings and wheels. RTspecialties has some on their site but the application is not clear for all of them.

http://www.rtspecialties.net/products.asp?cat=10

:cheers:

Rollers...you would think I'd come up with that but noooooo.   :lol:

Since I'm switching my manuals for power regs maybe I can transplant the rollers or at least find out which ones I need exactly.  There's so much on that site it's making my head spin.

Thanks for the help!   :2thumbs: