News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Question about 1974 440

Started by Dodgerdallas, December 08, 2012, 09:41:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dodgerdallas

Got a chance for a 440 out of a 74 Dodge 4x4 PU with the Trans,going in my 66-I know there's some issues w some engines when you go from one application to another so is this a good start for a high performance build w/o the Trans?
This is gonna be cheap and easy......

JB400

As long as the block isn't cracked, it'll be alright.  Just remember that post 72(????) blocks are a thinner casting.  Un for sure about the cutoff date for  the thicker casting.  They will still be good for around 500 hp or so, I wouldn't go much above that for reliablility.

skip68

Keep in mind that 74 440's are low compression motors with a cast crank.   If you're not looking for a high HP motor it will be perfect and reliable.  All depends on what you're looking for in a motor and how good a deal it is.   :cheers:
skip68, A.K.A. Chuck \ 68 Charger 440 auto\ 67 Camaro RS (no 440)       FRANKS & BEANS !!!

Dodgerdallas

They want 6 or 700 for it and the Trans-wont separate them,I told her no way w/o knowing the condition.  I was wanting about 400 hp when finished,good pwr but still streetable. Is that not a good idea w a cast crank? Obliviously the price will have to come way down too.
This is gonna be cheap and easy......

heyoldguy

Quote from: stroker400 wedge on December 08, 2012, 11:04:45 AM
As long as the block isn't cracked, it'll be alright.  Just remember that post 72(????) blocks are a thinner casting.  Un for sure about the cutoff date for  the thicker casting.  They will still be good for around 500 hp or so, I wouldn't go much above that for reliablility.

Lets not continue to perpetuate this thin walled myth. There is no such thing as a thin walled year or years of block. Myself and others have tested many years of blocks and there is no pattern to wall thickness. Each block must be sonic tested for wall thickness. The thinest block I ever tested was a 1969 (.093" wall) and the thickest was a 1977 (.200" wall) in the thinest spot. I have a 1972 casting date, 1973 model year block that we use to get 850+ HP normally aspirated. Just recently tested a 1970 block that was only .110" at it's thinest and a 1974 that was .165".

skip68

You could absolutely get 400 HP out of a 74 block. 
skip68, A.K.A. Chuck \ 68 Charger 440 auto\ 67 Camaro RS (no 440)       FRANKS & BEANS !!!

areibel

:iagree:
And IIRC if it's a 4x4 the tranny will have the transfer case bolted to it, won't be useable in a passenger car application.
Tell the guy he'd be ahead to sell the trans to the 4wd crowd (there's a demand!) and sell the 440 to you.  And it won't take much to get 400 hp out of it, the very basic stuff will do that!

JB400

Quote from: heyoldguy on December 08, 2012, 02:43:37 PM
As long as the block isn't cracked, it'll be alright.  Just remember that post 72(????) blocks are a thinner casting.  Un for sure about the cutoff date for  the thicker casting.  They will still be good for around 500 hp or so, I wouldn't go much above that for reliablility.

Lets not continue to perpetuate this thin walled myth. There is no such thing as a thin walled year or years of block. Myself and others have tested many years of blocks and there is no pattern to wall thickness. Each block must be sonic tested for wall thickness. The thinest block I ever tested was a 1969 (.093" wall) and the thickest was a 1977 (.200" wall) in the thinest spot. I have a 1972 casting date, 1973 model year block that we use to get 850+ HP normally aspirated. Just recently tested a 1970 block that was only .110" at it's thinest and a 1974 that was .165".
How about doing the world a favor and reposting the link.  Thanks

John_Kunkel

Read on:

http://arengineering.com/tech/sonic-checking-the-mopar-big-block/

The OP didn't state whether the trans is standard or auto, '74 is probably the last year that a truck 440 might have a forged crank with a manual trans.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

Cooter

Op said:
"Got a chance for a 440 out of a 74 Dodge 4x4 PU with the Trans"

As stated, it's a low comp motor if left alone. However, if built correctly, you can hit 400 HP without doing a whole lot. Maybe headers, cam swap, and a good induction system. Just make sure if trying to run a 4-speed, you will need to either have the flywheel balanced for the EXTERNAL balance crank, or swap out ALL internals of that engine with a steel crank INTERNALLY balanced engine. That "Truck" trans from 4X4 will NOT work in a "Car" app.
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

1974dodgecharger

No thin wall I read the 'mopar big blocks' and they even said in there.  They say though the casting in general is weaker though after 74? I read that darn book now 4 times on how to build engines so I take notes every so often.

They believe it was propaganda from chrysler so that folks dont expect too much HP from their cars after a specific year. 
Quote from: stroker400 wedge on December 08, 2012, 04:31:56 PM
Quote from: heyoldguy on December 08, 2012, 02:43:37 PM
As long as the block isn't cracked, it'll be alright.  Just remember that post 72(????) blocks are a thinner casting.  Un for sure about the cutoff date for  the thicker casting.  They will still be good for around 500 hp or so, I wouldn't go much above that for reliablility.

How about doing the world a favor and reposting the link.  Thanks

Sixt8Chrgr

For questions about block thickness go to 440 Source's site and read their piece about blocks. Great read and very informative. As one one said, there isn't a disparity between block thickness after a certain year. The thickness is random regardless of year.

Troy

The transfer case is separate ("divorced") in that year. It should be a full-time 4WD using an NP203. The tail shaft on the transmission might be shorter than a car but, otherwise, would work. I'd grab it all - but, then again, I have a garage full of "spare" parts. The transmission "core" is worth $100-150 in most cases (depending on availability). Not sure what an NP203 would be worth since most guys switch to a part-time case.

The cast crank 440 in my 1976 Power Wagon had plenty of power for a 6,000 pound 3/4 ton 4x4 truck with 33" tires. I think you'll be all right. Perhaps a new cam, intake, and headers if everything inside looks ok. I believe you'll need an oil pan, motor mounts, and perhaps some accessory brackets to make it fit. You'll be fighting the low compression for sure if you don't rebuild it.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.