News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

68 Guage Questions (Working but not reading correctly)

Started by 68CoronetRT, December 19, 2012, 12:22:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

68CoronetRT

Hello everyone! This is my first post on here but I have been lurking for quiet sometime. I was really looking for a 68-70 Charger but fell upon this 68 Coronet which for the price I can live with :icon_smile_big:.

Anyway, I'm about ready to buy this car and took it for a test drive the other night and it feels pretty solid but I noticed non of the gauge cluster gauges work correctly. When you first fire up the car the temp gauge reads 3/4, the oil pressure reads zero and has the oil light on and the gas gauge reads 1/2 even though the tank is full.

So of course I asked the owner whats up with that? and he said that has been one issue he never got around to fixing but was running mech. gauges for a while and everything is in normal temps/oil pressure as they should be. I did not pay much attention to the volt meter(If it even has one?). Also this is the cluster with the sweeping speedo FYI. He also said that in his attempt to fix it he replace all the sending units and still had the same issue, he feels as if the problem lies in the circuit board on the back side of the cluster.

Just for FYI the car was an original 318 auto that has since been converted to a 440 4 speed, the conversion all looks good to me with the tunnel swap etc... I've been trying to research a fix for this problem and have come up with nothing so far other than possible that circuit board which he also thought could be the issue. I'm wondering if maybe a voltage regulator is going bad? or maybe something to do with the SB to BB conversion since it sounds like no wiring was changed? It also is running MSD electronic ignition with the coil/box.

I hope someone has some insight to this issue, its not quiet a deal breaker for me but I like to see everything working properly on the car even though I understand its a 44 year old car.

Thanks alot! Probably going to buy the car if these issues dont sound as bad as I'm thinking!

Side note: the corner side marker in the rear works on the drivers side but nothing on the pass side, is this a common replace a bulb type deal? Same thing with the fender mounted turn signal indicators, neither of those work. Are both of these parts just subject to needing new parts replaced? I found all those parts online if need be. Everything else electrical works on the car.

JB400

There are resto companies like Just Dashes and Redline Guages that can restore your guages for you to get them working properly.  I haven't had it done yet myself, but others on here have.  They check them all and make sure they work properly and then silk screen the faces to make them look brand new.

As far as your lightbulb issue, I'd try replacing them first.  If that doesn't work, it could be a grounding issue and just need to clean everything up.

Welcome to the group and don't be afraid to post pics of your ride or chime in on our discussions. :cheers: :2thumbs: