News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

727 Small Block Transmission - WIW?

Started by TUFCAT, December 04, 2012, 08:22:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TUFCAT

Is a torqueflite from a 1967 318 desireable as a core? I would think so compared to a 904, but driveshaft issues may negate this benefit...your thoughts? 

TUFCAT

randy73

Never heard of a 727 behind a 318, but I had one for sale for months from my 73 and the only offer was for the valve body.
So I would say there is not much call for them.

rebby

I've seen a few of these as "rebuildable cores" on Craigslist lately. Usually priced anywhere between $50 and $100.
Curt Rebelein, Junior
1969 Charger R/T SE (500 Stroker/833/D60 w/XP VIN)
1969 Charger (440/727/8.75, GL Project)

TUFCAT

I'm assuming the driveshaft woud have to be altered if the car was originally equipped with a 904?

Dino

I'm sure nobody has ever said this to you, but you need a shorter shaft...  :nana:

If you're going from a 904 to a 727 you'd also need converter and flexplate.

I've seen 318's with 727's though.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

greenpigs

My guess would be plenty of trucks got a 727 behind the 318's.
1969 Charger RT

Living Chevy free

randy73

Misread your statement, thought you were saying the 727 came w/car.  :brickwall:

I had a 904 behind my 318 68 charger and had it rebuilt and it was a stout tranny, they can be made to handle 500hp and I knew several guys who ran them at the local drag strip and had no problems.

I would not convert to a 727, unless you are planning on building a 6-700hp motor, it just does not seem to be cost effective.

And yes, you will have to get a new driveshaft or cut yours down and have it rebalanced.

Troy

My first 68 Charger had a 727 behind the 318. I was 16 and knew nothing about numbers so it's likely someone swapped it along the line. I don't remember anyone questioning it when I was buying parts though. For the record, Challengers and Cudas always got a 727 when equipped with the 340. I don't know if Darts had the same requirement. The 318 in those years (and earlier) should have come with the 904. The drive shaft will be the same length as a big block with a 727 as far as I know. Nothing special there. The small block 727 is rarer than the big block version. I looked for a long time to find one for my Challenger. I ended up with a later model lockup style from an Aspen. That, of course, doesn't make them a lot more expensive - unless you have one with the correct numbers for an AAR or T/A.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

TUFCAT

Thanks Troy,  I was thinking the same about the 340 E and B bodies through 1972.

This transmission will be the coming from my 1967 Coronet 318.  It's not staying around here once I put the 383 in.

Troy

Is it original? I pulled the engine and trans from a 67 Satellite with the 318 and it had a 904. That's what I was going to use until I found the later model 727 (which is still incorrect of course). If it's not original then get the numbers off the side so we can figure out what it came from. Depending on price/condition I might know someone who needs it. :scratchchin:

Troy

TUFCAT

Quote from: Troy on December 07, 2012, 02:47:14 PM
Is it original? I pulled the engine and trans from a 67 Satellite with the 318 and it had a 904. That's what I was going to use until I found the later model 727 (which is still incorrect of course). If it's not original then get the numbers off the side so we can figure out what it came from. Depending on price/condition I might know someone who needs it. :scratchchin:

Troy

Troy, I've always assumed it was the original one. :scratchchin:  You've got me a bit worried.  Everything else is original including starter motor and alternator so I always assumed the trans was also.

I'll crawl under there (hopefully this weekend) when I have time to get numbers for you. It definately looks like a 727 pan. :shruggy:  The trans was always good so I've never done anything with it.

Troy

Some people (with more knowledge than me) swear it just wasn't possible. However, if you look at an interchange site (not always the most reliable source) and/or Rock Auto you'll see both 318/727 and 318/904. A quick Google search returns both examples on seemingly original cars (67 Coronets and 68 Chargers). Some Mopar specific documentation says the small block 727 never came behind an "LA" engine (except the 340) before the 70s.

As I said, I was a teenager and didn't know anything about documentation or numbers - but I did work on it a lot and even rebuilt the transmission. I also had a 70 Challenger *at the same time* with a 318/904 combo so I know the transmissions weren't the same. I just can't imagine someone going through the trouble of finding a small block 727 only to stick it behind a factory 318 2bbl. I always just assumed the bigger B-body got the heavier duty transmission. I finally gave up asking because I have no proof of anything.

This link is less than helpful but check at the bottom:
http://www.extrememopars.com/mopartorqueflite.htm

Troy

TUFCAT

That's good info Troy.  I'll let you know what numbers I find as soon as I get underneath it.... Stay tuned.  :popcrn: