News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Wolfie's 71 restoration

Started by Wolfie12B, December 04, 2012, 05:28:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wolfie12B

I purchased a 1971 Charger hardtop. Originally a 318. Doesnt have the engine or trans. Paid 600 for it. Needs work. I know it aint gonna be easy. But I want to work on a piece of history. And i would much rather try my hand on it then let it sit and rust. It needs 1 quarter panel replaced for sure. The other, if i can, i want to try and patch maybe. It has all the parts, minus the engine and trans. And a full axle thats not just a tube  :brickwall:. Any way. I have 1 picture of it at the moment. It doesnt have the grill in it at the moment. It doesnt have all the head light bulbs. But i have pretty much all the parts for the front end. But yeah. Needs an axle. And a mirror.

Heres my only picture

JB400

First and foremost, welcome to the group :cheers:  It looks to be a decent project.  What's your build plans?  Your 73/4 RR looks to be a decent project car as well, or is it your daily driver?

tan top

Quote from: stroker400 wedge on December 04, 2012, 06:29:59 PM
First and foremost, welcome to the group :cheers:  It looks to be a decent project.  What's your build plans?  Your 73/4 RR looks to be a decent project car as well, or is it your daily driver?

:yesnod: :cheers:   :2thumbs:
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

Wolfie12B

The RR isnt mine. The Charger is still at the house of the guy I bought it from. I plan on restoring it to original. So seeing it had a 318 auto. Im going to try and put a 318 with an auto transmission back into it.The only thing i might do different from original is the paint. I am going to put a vinyl canopy top on it again. I would prefer a full top but I am my fine with a canopy top.

I dont plan on doing anything crazy with it. Im tempted to put a sixpak hood scoop on it. Change the interior color. And paint it a color I like. Thats what I want to do. Not trying to put a big engine in it or anything. Just a warm nice weather driver I can enjoy working on. And have my Cherokee be my crummy weather vehicle.

Wolfie12B

I have a question for you guys. Would getting 2 half quarter panels instead of patching my 1 panel and getting a full panel for the other side. (which i dont really need). Or what would you guys suggest? Im having a master welder friend help me weld it up. I dont have a great amount of body work experience. I have some yeah. But I dont think im to the point of being able to do a full or half quarter panel... Or 2 for that part. But I can replace the fenders. And the 1 rocker that might need to be replaced. Oh and the floor. I can do that... Yeah I might need some advice from the people on here who are much more knowledgeable then i am on my journey to restore this nice 71.

tan top

Quote from: Wolfie12B on December 04, 2012, 07:08:15 PM
I have a question for you guys. Would getting 2 half quarter panels instead of patching my 1 panel and getting a full panel for the other side. (which i dont really need). Or what would you guys suggest? Im having a master welder friend help me weld it up. I dont have a great amount of body work experience. I have some yeah. But I dont think im to the point of being able to do a full or half quarter panel... Or 2 for that part. But I can replace the fenders. And the 1 rocker that might need to be replaced. Oh and the floor. I can do that... Yeah I might need some advice from the people on here who are much more knowledgeable then i am on my journey to restore this nice 71.

to be honest ,  need to see  close up pictures , whats surrounding metal like  etcetc  even strip the quarters to bare metal , to see whats what ,  then make the call full / half or patch panel  :Twocents:
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

Wolfie12B

Alright when i get the chance to do such things. I will take pictures after i strip it. Will post more pics of the entire car soon.

Ghoste

Wolfie12B

So today I took the spare tire from Charger. I also took a boat load of pictures. So give me some suggestions/opinions on how much of a pain i have in store for me. Hope I dont get ragged on too bad for my $600 purchase.

Wolfie12B

Last post

Drivers side front fender/door

Trail gate lid. I dont know why it wont close...

What is this weird thing here? little indent kinda thing?

The spare tire from the Charger fits on the C 8 1/4.

Wolfie12B

Ok fixed all the pictures.

So im really curious now if the C8 1/4 will work. I know that the pinion angles might not be right. But i kinda want to try. Because if itll work. I got me a axle i can use. Which saves me a bit of money.

Anyway the Charger his a good amount of rust... sadly... But Its saveable. Might just take me awhile... and a good amount of cash. What do all of you think?

Ghoste

Well you've assessed it properly, it has a lof of rust and will take a lot of cash but it can be done if you're determined.

Cooter

The "Recess" area you refer to is where the factory welded the roof on. There's a longer version at the rear quarter top, behind quart glass filled with lead. That one WAS filled with lead, but rust has popped it out.
Trunk lid looks to have been moved too far forward in adjustment, and then closed causing the lid to "Crimp" like that. Either that, or the hinges are bent.
Nice project. ALOT of that rust you can tackle yourself.
Rust is a time breaker...not a deal breaker.
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

Wolfie12B

So how SOL am I with this ol thing? I kinda think the drivers side fender might be saveable? The drivers side rear quarter needs replacing. The passengers side patchable? Drivers side needs to be replaced. I think the passengers side door might need to be. Might replace both doors if I find both forsale.

Why wouldnt the trunk be able to close? And i dont think the bench is saveable. So if there are any buckets for sale i might just put those in.

In your or anyone elses personal opinion. What should i tackle first? The interior? Body? Or Engine/trans/axle if the C8 1/4 wont work?

skip68

:-\  I've got to be honest with you..... It can be fixed but I'd use that car as a parts car I think.    :Twocents:   Sorry to be blunt but that's my thoughts.  The first thing I would do is strip the car to metal and see how bad it really is.  Good luck no matter what you decide to do.    :cheers:
skip68, A.K.A. Chuck \ 68 Charger 440 auto\ 67 Camaro RS (no 440)       FRANKS & BEANS !!!

Wolfie12B

Every Charger ive tried to buy ends up getting sold before I get there to look at it. Ive called and had the cash in hand and it was gone. This is honestly the closest thing I could get my hands on. I understand its rusty. I understand it aint gonna be cheap. But I dont want to give up already.

Would 73 fenders work? Or would it mess up the body lines? Are fiberglass fenders a bad idea?

Back N Black

Its a lot of work, but if you can stay the course it can be done. What's you plan WRT finish product? a good driver or everything looking pretty? What condition is the frame and floors?

Wolfie12B

Driver. Frame is good. I physically got under the car looked it over. Tapped it with a hammer. Did a bunch of stuff to make sure the frame was good. And it is. Its actually alot better then my 95 Jeep Cherokee's body. The drivers side floor needs a patch. other then that the floor is solid.

So the passengers side quarter panel patchable? Or do i need a half/full panel? Drivers side panel fixable or do i need a new 1 also?

Thank you about the trunk lid. Ill look at it later.

Wolfie12B

So a 73 fender wont work? or will it?

skip68

Wolfie's, can you do all the welding yourself?  If you can do most all the work then you'll be fine.  :cheers:
skip68, A.K.A. Chuck \ 68 Charger 440 auto\ 67 Camaro RS (no 440)       FRANKS & BEANS !!!

Wolfie12B

Whatever i cant do. I have many friends who can help me for a 24 pack. Thank you very much for giving me some hope n confidence.

chargd72

73 fenders will not work. Only 71/72 will work for your car.

'72 Charger SE 4bbl 318                          '76 Power Wagon 400 W200                                 2011 (attempt at a) Charger

Wolfie12B

Quote from: chargd72 on December 05, 2012, 11:01:48 PM
73 fenders will not work. Only 71/72 will work for your car.

Thank you for the answer. Why will it not work may I ask? Is it the body liners or what? If you don't mind educating me.

JB400

It can be done, but it's going to take some dedication and a healthy income even if labor is cheap.  You might want to continue checking for a better car, but if this is what you have to go with, don't give up on it.  Right now, I'd get a catalog and find out what parts run new, then start looking for used replacement parts so you get an idea of prices.  Then make your own conclusions on your car.  Best of luck :2thumbs: