News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Truck swap

Started by twodko, November 21, 2012, 03:06:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

twodko

We bought a new 2011 1/2 ton Chev Silverado LT extend cab 2wd in December 2011. We now find ourselves needing a crew cab and have the truck offered as a trade for same same. We own the truck outright and my question is, if I find someone to trade trucks with, how does the title transfer work? There will be no cash exchanged.  :shruggy:
FLY NAVY/Marine Corps or take the bus!

Dino

In Ca?  I think it's pretty much the same as selling and buying another in that you need a smog certificate and pay tax on the vehicle you acquire.  Even if you sell it for a dime, you're still paying tax on market value, I can't imagine you can dodge that bullet even in a straight trade.  I'd give the DMV a call.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

twodko

I think thats the case too. It just fries my onions to pay sale tax twice. :RantExplode:

Dino

Quote from: twodko on November 21, 2012, 03:47:14 PM
I think thats the case too. It just fries my onions to pay sale tax twice.b :RantExplode:

Yep, every time you buy a vehicle you're going to be stuck with it.  There may be a better way though, give them a call and ask.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

JB400

You need to both come up with an agreed value for both trucks.  Your basically selling your truck to the other guy for the same price that you are paying for his.  When you come up with an agreed value, both of you need to write up a Bill of Sale for each truck with the vin and the price.  Then, you both need to sign the BoS.  Just to let you know, whatever value is on the Bill of Sale, is what your taxes will be based off of until the assessor revalues it next year.

Does this answer your Question?

mauve66

check DMV, nevada doesn't care what you bought it for, they tax you based on what they want it to be
Robert-Las Vegas, NV

NEEDS:
body work
paint - mauve and black
powder coat wheels - mauve and black
total wiring
PW
PDLKS
Tint
trim
engine - 520/540, eddy heads, 6pak
alignment

twodko

Thanks gang, verified my suspicions. Even if both parties agreed price was next to nothing that itself might raise a red flag. A DMV web surf will prolly answer the question...........working.......

1970Moparmann

I traded a Dart for my Charger and even though I filled out the paperwork saying it was an even trade, IL still questioned the deal.

After answering some questions, it was processed. 

It's always about taxes to make sure it is collected. :RantExplode:
My name is Mike and I'm a Moparholic!

71green go

if you trade at dealer you dont do you?

stripedelete

Quote from: 71green go on December 02, 2012, 09:57:37 PM
if you trade at dealer you don't do you?

If I'm interpreting your post correctly, it's not quite the same.  The dealer is not the end user.  The guy who buys your trade will pay the tax and the state will be "whole".

F8-4life

Sheesh they even tax a bartering exchange? That sucks. If they are gonna pull that bs on the oldest way of trade, might as well just say you sold your present truck and just bought the other. Might be easier that way? If their is no incentive to label it a "trade" it may present more hassle then its worth.

daveco

That's how we pay for all the stuff we "give" away.
R/Tree