News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Paint choice for floor

Started by AmadeusCharger500, March 15, 2013, 07:21:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AmadeusCharger500

I will be installing complete soundproofing over my new AMD floor. What paint is usually used for this type of application?
I would use the typical base clear if its the most durable, but I dont want to just throw away good paint.

jfreakofkorn

Yuu can always coat with POR 15 and than apply the soundproofing it ...

NHCharger

72 Charger- Base Model
68 Charger-R/T Clone
69 Charger Daytona clone
79 Lil Red Express - future money pit
88 Ramcharger 4x4- current money pit
55 Dodge Royal 2 door - wife's money pit
2014 RAM 2500HD Diesel

cdr

i am using spray in bed liner
LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr

Chargen69

Quote from: jfreakofkorn on March 15, 2013, 08:39:22 AM
Yuu can always coat with POR 15 and than apply the soundproofing it ...

that's what we did too

joe dirt

I have always used bed liner. just make sure all of what your painting is really clean. its best to take a rag and wipe everything down with mineral spirts. let it dry and then spray it lightly. let it sit a while then for second coat spray a good heavy layer... you could always use the roll on stuff to. that's what I did in my trunk...
*THE ORIGINAL JOE DIRT*

john108

Just an added question:
If the existing floor is undamaged, just the paint looks old.  It may have looked that way 44 years ago.
Obviously, not the same paint as the exterior.
Would you paint it at all?  POR-15, bedliner, primer & paint?  Ma Mopar didn't seem to be worried.
Various suggestions have already been made but it will be covered with sound proofing, carpet, etc.

green69rt

If you have existing paint then I personally wouldn't use POR15 on top of that without a lot of prep.  Over existing paint I would sand it up to remove loose junk and to get some tooth to the surface then spray with primer, maybe a single coat of paint on top to be REALLY thorough.  Or use something like a combo black primer/paint from a rattle can.