News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

69 GENERAL LEE 440 R/T - LOSING FUEL PRESSURE :(

Started by 69generallee, November 30, 2012, 08:44:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

69generallee

Good Morning,

I've to a 1 year old newly restored 69 general lee charger 440 r/t  and occationally i'll lose all fuel pressure in the line.  I've pulled the sending unit, and took the filter sock off of it to prevent it from collapsing.  that put on a new braided steel fuel line that goes to a new electric fuel pump then all the way up to the filter (filter is not see thru so i dont know if any gunk is in there but i'm going to change it this weekend) then right after the filter, is a gauge so i can see the pressure in the line.   usually reads about 3-5lbs (should it vary like that?) then it goes right in to a new edelbrock carb.  no reason i should be intermitantly losing pressure is there?  For instance, i drove it up from DC to Gettysburg one day. 2 hour drive.  did great.  drove back and stopped at at a rest stop after about 40 mins.  got back on the road and it hesitated on the entrance ramp.   then it was ok.  but when i got about a mile from home i was humming along at 35mph and it just stalled out.  no pressure in that line.  i just replaced the fuel pump (use and electric one cause the mechanical doesnt work) about 6 months ago because the first one burned out.  can you think of anythign i'm missing?  If i change that fuel filter up by the engine to a glass one and when the line loses pressure i see that the filter is not filling up with gas, should i then be looking to yet another fuel pump?  the gas tank and line are brand new.  no gunk in there.  Any suggestions would be very much appreciated.  thanks!
'69 Charger 440 R/T SE General Lee

Cooter

First off, NICE GENERAL LEE!

I'd look into seeing if it's a fuel Supply problem, or a Fuel "Metering" problem(Carb).
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

69generallee

well, thats what i'm wondering.  There's nothing impeding its traveling from the tank to the fuel pump to the filter.  right after that filter which i've got just under the hood, is a pressure gauge.  when it cuts out, that thing is reading ZERO.  i just can't imagine why no gas is coming up the line from the tank unless, the fuel pump isn't doing its job?

ACUDANUT

69generallee

cdr

if your gas cap vent is not working it could be drawing a vacume on the tank.
LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr