News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Didnt know Heads were so damn...

Started by 1974dodgecharger, November 27, 2012, 02:44:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

1974dodgecharger

EXPENSIVE  :o Was looking at some Indy heads the complete package and OMG seriously 3 to 5k for some heads. I was thinking of only spending 600 bucks for one head so max 1200 dollars.

Someone told me the INdy heads were the best, but damn my wallet saids NO.

Cooter

My experience with Indy wasn't great. Were kinda rude Infact. Bottom line is you wanna go fast, Indy heads will certainly get you there, but I don't know if you have been mistakenly looking at the cheaper Edelbrock heads and simply got confused that ALL cylinder heads were that cheap, but an Eddy head out the box and an Indy head out the box there is no comparison.

Eddy heads are produced for Chrysler simply because there's a market for cheap aluminum heads for Mopar. (Look at the Stealth). But, make no mistake, B1 or Indy are produced Strickly for making MOPARS perform. They are considered by many to be the Top-o-the line.

Look at Rocker arms. Crane "Gold" are what? Like $360.00/set? Or something.
Now look at a set of T&D Rockers for Mopar.....Like what? $1200.00/set...Get what you pay for.
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

Ghoste

Ain't that the truth.  Just look at all the threads on a variety of forums with broken Crane Golds for testimony.

mauve66

stealths are closer to your pocket book, the cheapest i've seen eddy rpm is 749 + s/h, each
Robert-Las Vegas, NV

NEEDS:
body work
paint - mauve and black
powder coat wheels - mauve and black
total wiring
PW
PDLKS
Tint
trim
engine - 520/540, eddy heads, 6pak
alignment

1974dodgecharger

Quote from: Cooter on November 27, 2012, 07:25:35 AM
My experience with Indy wasn't great. Were kinda rude Infact. Bottom line is you wanna go fast, Indy heads will certainly get you there, but I don't know if you have been mistakenly looking at the cheaper Edelbrock heads and simply got confused that ALL cylinder heads were that cheap, but an Eddy head out the box and an Indy head out the box there is no comparison.

Eddy heads are produced for Chrysler simply because there's a market for cheap aluminum heads for Mopar. (Look at the Stealth). But, make no mistake, B1 or Indy are produced Strickly for making MOPARS perform. They are considered by many to be the Top-o-the line.

Look at Rocker arms. Crane "Gold" are what? Like $360.00/set? Or something.
Now look at a set of T&D Rockers for Mopar.....Like what? $1200.00/set...Get what you pay for.

just pricing out for motor build up and it was a complete package though on their website. I was basing the price off the size of the engine I Planned to have and HP expectations out of it. 

I guess you do get what you pay for, but damn....im still shaking my head.

FLG

You gotta pay to play!

Imo... Look for deals here and on moparts

I got a set of eddy heads port and polished, titanium retainers... Etc never run for around 1500 or so? I forgot but they were a steal considering the guy probably had almost 3k in em.

Cooter

Quote from: 1974dodgecharger on November 28, 2012, 12:43:30 AM

just pricing out for motor build up and it was a complete package though on their website. I was basing the price off the size of the engine I Planned to have and HP expectations out of it. 

You aren't paying $5-6K for the cost of making the heads. They prolly don't cost anymore to produce than Eddy's.....

It's the "Secret Ninja sh*t" that costs you. Indy heads out the box will blow Eddy's right in the weeds. Ported? Forget it. ALOT of R&D is in the price.
Just like when your Mechanic charges you $150.00 to diagnose your elecetrical problem that turns out to be a blown fuse. You aren't paying for his ACTUAL time. Just because he can find the problem quicker than you due to 30 years experience, doesn't mean you ain't gonna get charged for that experience. Nothing is free, and like it was stated on PINKS one night, "4K dollar race cars won't get it done"...

Nothing is cheap these days. Especially, if Made in the USA.
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

charger_fan_4ever

Quote from: Cooter on November 28, 2012, 07:53:06 AM
Quote from: 1974dodgecharger on November 28, 2012, 12:43:30 AM

It's the "Secret Ninja sh*t" that costs you.

Now thats funny right there.
Its very true though.

Either spend thousands on porting eddy's/906's ect ot just buy a set of indy's and be done with it. I would only consider indy heads for track only. A set of out of the box  eddy's on a healty 440 with some compression will make more than enough grunt for a street car.

randy73

Depending on your engine (SB vs BB), everywhere I have read, Eddy's performer (SB) flow just a little less then Indy's heads and for the cost of Indy's, you can get the flow of the eddy's to be a LOT better than Indy's and still have coin in your pocket. From what I read, Indy's flow a lot better than eddy's on BB's, but I still do not think they are worth the cost or weight, unless you are racing.

I am putting eddy's on both my 340 and 383 and for the cost of the Indy's for both engines, I am getting heads, roller cams,roller lifters and bottom end rebuilt and will have money left over.

cdr

THE STEALTH otb flow enough to make a 3700 lb car go 10.90 @ 121 ish = to 550 hp
get the good retainers & locks & have have a good machine shop ck them out ie,guide clearance & valve sealing,what ever heads you buy need to be checked
going with the stealth you would have approx 1200.00 for the pair ready to bolt on.
LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr

1974dodgecharger

Quote from: cdr on November 29, 2012, 06:07:26 PM
THE STEALTH otb flow enough to make a 3700 lb car go 10.90 @ 121 ish = to 550 hp
get the good retainers & locks & have have a good machine shop ck them out ie,guide clearance & valve sealing,what ever heads you buy need to be checked
going with the stealth you would have approx 1200.00 for the pair ready to bolt on.

thats what im thinking get the stealths they seem 'robust' enough based on reviews and edys on the same site has them also for 700 bucks or so.

my73charger

I went with the Stealth heads and have been very happy with them. OTB I picked up a full half second at the track.  I went from high 12's low 13's to 12.35-12.45 consistently with no other modifications other than changing the retainers and locks to comp retainers and locks.  This last year I had the heads mildly ported and polished but have not made it back to the track yet to see what I pick up.

cdr

440 Source
From now until Friday at 5PM, order a set of Super Stealth heads and we'll throw in our 200-1125 .650" offset aluminum roller rockers at NO CHARGE. Thats a $300 value for FREE!! Ask for Kim. This deal is available on the phone only, not available on our web store. While supplies last only!
LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver

heyoldguy

Quote from: cdr on December 11, 2012, 03:51:00 PM
440 Source
From now until Friday at 5PM, order a set of Super Stealth heads and we'll throw in our 200-1125 .650" offset aluminum roller rockers at NO CHARGE. Thats a $300 value for FREE!! Ask for Kim. This deal is available on the phone only, not available on our web store. While supplies last only!

Kim? Hey thanks for the help recently. I have the heads at the machine shop for the new intake seats. When we get them back I'll rough in the bigger valves and we'll port these Stealths to 340 cfm. As I understand they are going on a turbo charged engine. Can you imagine, 340 cfm Stealths (not Super Stealths) on a turbo charged stroker? I had 340 cfm 906 heads on my 451 stroker (554 RWHP) and the dyno opertator was dying to put a Pro Charger on it. Claimed it would make 1500 HP to the rear wheels. I had stock main caps and stock 440 crank so I declined. Too many pieces to pick outta the asphalt.

cdr

Quote from: heyoldguy on December 11, 2012, 08:42:25 PM
Quote from: cdr on December 11, 2012, 03:51:00 PM
440 Source

Kim? Hey thanks for the help recently. I have the heads at the machine shop for the new intake seats. When we get them back I'll rough in the bigger valves and we'll port these Stealths to 340 cfm. As I understand they are going on a turbo charged engine. Can you imagine, 340 cfm Stealths (not Super Stealths) on a turbo charged stroker? I had 340 cfm 906 heads on my 451 stroker (554 RWHP) and the dyno opertator was dying to put a Pro Charger on it. Claimed it would make 1500 HP to the rear wheels. I had stock main caps and stock 440 crank so I declined. Too many pieces to pick outta the asphalt.

no it's charlie,just tryin to help them sell their heads  :icon_smile_big: