News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

General lee tech board.

Started by JB400, November 26, 2012, 04:44:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Should the Mods set up a technical board for GL builders

Yes
32 (45.7%)
No
38 (54.3%)

Total Members Voted: 70

Voting closed: December 10, 2012, 04:44:52 PM

LaOtto70Charger

The only issue is if you make it a specific General Lee tech section than ask your question on roll cages you will probably only get answers from the members very interested in General Lees as many others will probably stay away.  Putting that question in the current tech section for interiors though will get you a far more varied response which from your response is what you stated you want.  Potentially even from people who race them for real in the first place.  As for all the General Lee build options through the years a simple search here will show Mike probably already answered those questions in various threads through the years.  Please note and reread his response on this question since he has provided a lot of movie car information over the years. 
Oh and realize that the only paint, decals, and a push bar comment is also one General cloners use when rationalizing taking a restored blue Charger and making it a General.

Mytur Binsdirti

Quote from: skip68 on November 26, 2012, 06:24:28 PM
Here's my take.  Everything Charger related is already the terms for Charger Discussion.  That means DOH Chargers, DMCL Chargers, F&F Chargers, Bullit Chargers, Big Fish Chargers, Blade Chargers,  etc. etc...................   It would'nt be a bad idea for technical questions like paint color, interior, wheels etc. etc.  Guys could show their builds and ask questions with less drama so I guess looking at it like that makes sense... But then again, it still won't solve the whole issue. I think it's best left on the Dukes websites.  This way we don't get overrun with Dukies, the equivalent of inbread, i live in my moms basement Trekies :icon_smile_big:  :2thumbs: :rofl: KEEP IN MIND GUYS, THIS IS COMING FROM A GUY THAT BUILT A GENERAL LEE.  I love that car....

A section titled "Clown Car Chargers" would cover all bases.  :smilielol: :lol: :smilielol:

No, That would be a thread titled "Please post pics of non charger based General Lee's"

I'm a bit surprised at the results of the poll so far, 40 voters so far and it's a dead split 50%/50%

Ghoste

I wouldn't put much faith in it anyway, only 40 people so far care about either choice.  That is likely a more telling statistic.

40 so far is a reasonably healthy poll, what it doesn't tell you is the ratio of General Lee fans compared to others who just want it off the main topics.

The 20 who voted "no" are most likely the don't care group.

Ghoste

It has been read over 800 times.  No telling how many of the 800 are repeats of course but if its half that still only means 10% of the people who looked at it could be bothered with it.  No matter how you slice it up I think its very difficult to determine much from it of any use.

True, only people who have an interest in it will likely vote, and my guess is that most of the votes came from people who post regularly although there is no telling. We'd be lucky to have 200 people who post regularly.

JB400

Well, by the results so far, is anyone surprised?

Captain D

"Clown cars" and "Dukies comparable to Trekies"?

Really? Come on guys,  ;) One thing that I feel that we should keep in mind is that all T.V shows, regardless of the era, have a degree of corniness - especially the 70s and 80s. Heck, in this era we have Everyone Loves Ramon and The Big Bang Theory. I had brought myself to watch the latter show and thought that it was more corny than any T.V. show that I had ever seen. And, watching Everyone Loves Ramon, I felt that I needed two beers after work - one for work and the other from this show for it wasn't enjoyable and relaxing to say the least - by the end of each show everyone was yelling and screaming at each other. How is this so funny? I was still so stressed out,  :eek2:. As I mentioned, all T.V. shows from every era has a degree of corniness.

Personally, I don't quite understand the negativity towards Dukes. In a nutshell, the Dukes combined awesome stunts and driving sequences with our beloved 69' Charger, great character actors, teaching kids the importance of honesty and integrity, the setting taking place in the bygone simple Americana rural farmhouse family environment that is missed in our technological day and age, and something unique we don't see on T.V. anymore - prayer and saying grace at the table. Not that I've seen too many Trekie episodes/movies, but I don't recall seeing too many Kling-ons saying grace/prayer prior to when they ate, lol.

Besides, restoring a 69' Charger is no cheaper for us 'Dukies' than for anyone else in the hobby. Body part suppliers owe their business from both G.L. and non-G.L. restorers alike. After all, if there are those who feel that Dukes destroyed a great many 69' Chargers they are correct in feeling that way (when I talked with Ben Jones/Cooter - he said 309 were destroyed). However, Dukes fans should be recognized as for saving/preserving/restoring just as many Chargers that were destroyed - if not more - to help make up for that loss. My G.L., for instance, was almost to the point of being a parts car in that 'everything' needed to be replaced and I recall family and friends saying that this car will never see the road. But, as of two weeks ago, my G.L. miraculously won both a plaque and trophy at a few car shows! If Dukes hadn't come along I seriously doubt that I would have ever rescued a 69' Charger and give it a second chance at life  :2thumbs:

When I go to these car shows with my G.L., people - both young and old - constantly come up to the car and want to have their picture taken with it because they recognize it as symbolizing the simple life, family values, and good clean wholesome fun that is rare in an age where sexuality and violence keeps pushing the limits to what can be shown on T.V. nowadays. Although winning plaques and trophies can certainly be rewarding, I don't care if I ever win anything at any of the shows for two reasons: 1.) I like to give back that sense of nostalgia, 2.) Making people happy. Last month, we surprised a 12 year old boy who has a mild form of autism and down-syndrome by pulling up in his drive-way and taking him for a spin. He was just about to go into the hospital  for a new problem involving his stomach the day after we surprised him and as he sat in the passenger seat with the wind in his hair as we cruised down the road he had the biggest smile on his face. There for a moment he forgot all of his problems and his parents came up to me afterwards and said that being able to go for a ride in the General Lee was the best medicine in helping to boost his spirits prior to going into the hospital. With that being said, it is moments like that that I live for and helped building this G.L. worthwhile.

And, to those asking the question, "what's the big deal about Dukes," all I can add further is that if you watch the show try to look past any sense of corniness that is found in every T.V. show of every era and see the underlying positive values that made the show a hit in the first place. As Mopar guys, if anything, we should feel privileged that our 69' Charger was used for such an honor. Anyhow, just my personal experiences and take from it what you may...

Best regards,
Aaron  

Cooter

Ok so we got a tech board for GL.

You know how many heated discussions there are about what the original color of the GL was? Holy sh*t.

Everybody has some kinda "proof" that they heard it from so and so that painted the cars.

Everybody also has a different idea of what orange/red was used. As with the "Christines", Until I can talk with one of the guys still living, that actually shows me the can of paint from which he has a picture of him mixing paint color from, it didn't happen.

And this is just the color of the car. Interior is another can of worms still. Too much drama. We GL folks almost NEVER open a discussion on here about ANYTHING GL related as we already know the haters are out in full force. Seen it too many times, but there's always that newbie that will begin a thread, and once the haters come in, it's on.

Also, there are ALOT of GL owners here that simply don't post at all. So, this poll is slanted at best. Half haters, half supporters.
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

Brock Lee

Quote from: Cooter on November 29, 2012, 01:03:00 AM

You know how many heated discussions there are about what the original color of the GL was? Holy sh*t.

Everybody has some kinda "proof" that they heard it from so and so that painted the cars.

Right. NONE have a shred of real proof. It is 100% hearsay. When it comes to the earliest cars ,even the most respected "experts" are full of shit as they do not have hard proof.

G-man

We all know a GL is Hemi Orange. Its an Orange with a redish tinge to it. If anyone disagrees with that, get your bloody eyes checked cause you are clearly colour blind.

Brock Lee

Based on what you see on TV? Where colors are tweaked extensively in post production? Or photos where two different angles will show two different colors?

Ghoste

Not to mention the settings on your television.

Mike DC

Both pics of the same car, both in natural daylight, both taken in about the last year or so:

:    

Ghoste

Big difference.  And it reminds me that Hemi Orange nearly always looks red to me in magazines (tangentially relevant but does help underscore how much appearance can change).
By the way, is that you in the white shirt lecturing the others on GL fine points?

Mike DC

QuoteAnd it reminds me that Hemi Orange nearly always looks red to me in magazines (tangentially relevant but does help underscore how much appearance can change)

That's why the DOH crew switched to the Corvette orange color for the GLs pretty quickly.

QuoteBy the way, is that you in the white shirt lecturing the others on GL fine points?

Haha . . . I wish I had that guy's money.

Cooter

Damn, we's arguing about it already and it ain't even a section for it.
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

Cooter

Quote from: G-man on November 29, 2012, 04:32:32 AM
We all know a GL is Hemi Orange. Its an Orange with a redish tinge to it. If anyone disagrees with that, get your bloody eyes checked cause you are clearly colour blind.

And I ask for your PROOF.

Hugger Orange, BBO, Vitamin C, Flame Red, blah, blah, blah. There isn't a 100% definitive color.

skip68

See, here we go...... 
I was always under the impression that the GL had less air pressure in the left front tire.   That's what I was told but found out later it was false ....... 

Leave this kind of stuff for the general Lee / DOH forums. 
skip68, A.K.A. Chuck \ 68 Charger 440 auto\ 67 Camaro RS (no 440)       FRANKS & BEANS !!!

Ghoste

Indygenerallee

LEE 1 was Hemi Orange and then they went to Corvette Flame Red after they quit filming in Georgia.
Sold my Charger unfortunately....never got it finished.

Ghoste

And don't misunderstand me.  It's not that I don't think those discussions aren't worthy, I just can't see a need for a whole section devoted to it.  By all means argue the color but I think Troy has provided plenty of areas that can handle it already.  (just an opinion though and not trying to speak for anyone else)