News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

General lee tech board.

Started by JB400, November 26, 2012, 04:44:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Should the Mods set up a technical board for GL builders

Yes
32 (45.7%)
No
38 (54.3%)

Total Members Voted: 70

Voting closed: December 10, 2012, 04:44:52 PM

Fred

Are you paying attention Chuck?   :nana:

I still love you man!  In a backwoods sort of way.

Tomorrow is promised to no one.......drive your Charger today.

Do you really want Fred's upside down opinion. Look what happened when he tried to post a picture of his Bronco.  :lol:

skip68

Stroker, the problem with letting the Aussies in is then we have to let the Canadians in.  Before you know it, Ponch will see this and then we've got the Mexicans.  Next will be Nacho and the Brazilians.   Then comes CB and the Belgians.  On and on it goes until finally we end up with the guy from Panama "which is a moderator" joins in.  You see, total chaos.  
skip68, A.K.A. Chuck \ 68 Charger 440 auto\ 67 Camaro RS (no 440)       FRANKS & BEANS !!!

Fred

Quote from: 440 on November 28, 2012, 01:37:25 AM
Do you really want Fred's upside down opinion. Look what happened when he tried to post a picture of his Bronco.  :lol:

Hey! I explained all that. It caught up in a cyclone while on it's way to the forum.  :nana:

JB400

Let them in, the more the merrier.  Besides, Fred has shrimp.  What do you have skip, crabs?

Fred

Quote from: skip68 on November 28, 2012, 01:40:52 AM
Stroker, the problem with letting the Aussies in is then we have to let the Canadians in.  Before you know it, Ponch will see this and then we've got the Mexicans.  Next will be Nacho and the Brazilians.   Then comes CB and the Belgians.  On and on it goes until finally we end up with the guy from Panama "which is a moderator" joins in.  You see, total chaos.  

Come on now, if it wasn't for me this forum wouldn't be half the fun it is and you know it.  :nana: :nana:

Fred

Quote from: stroker400 wedge on November 28, 2012, 01:44:21 AM
Let them in, the more the merrier.  Besides, Fred has shrimp.  What do you have skip, crabs?

Quite possibly but he didn't get them from me!   :nana:   :smilielol:

skip68

Fred, I was here before you and I'll be here after your gone ....
Stroker, I told you about the crabs in confidentiality.  DAMN YOU!   
skip68, A.K.A. Chuck \ 68 Charger 440 auto\ 67 Camaro RS (no 440)       FRANKS & BEANS !!!

JB400

Maybe that will teach you not to spy on me :nana:

Fred

Quote from: skip68 on November 28, 2012, 01:54:34 AM
Fred, I was here before you and I'll be here after your gone ....

That may will be but in the meantime................I'm having fun.   :icon_smile_big:

You can join me if you want but only after you rid yourself of the small livestock you have corralled on your person.

Fred

Quote from: stroker400 wedge on November 28, 2012, 01:56:52 AM
Maybe that will teach you not to spy on me :nana:

That's it stroker, stand up to him now or he will be forever on top of you.  :D :D  And he can get pretty heavy :slap:

skip68

Livestock?   How dare you sir.   These are my pets.  I'm not a rancher, just a host.

skip68

Man, we can sure f-up any thread can't we?   

JB400

Quote from: skip68 on November 28, 2012, 02:37:38 AM
I was thinking the same thing.  You should have made one up in the off topic discussion.

Fred

Quote from: skip68 on November 28, 2012, 02:35:18 AM
Livestock?   How dare you sir.   These are my pets.  I'm not a rancher, just a host.

Well I hope to God you haven't given them all names...........you'll never get rid of them   :lol:

Fred

Quote from: stroker400 wedge on November 28, 2012, 02:38:51 AM
I was thinking the same thing.  You should have made one up in the off topic discussion.

I am in the off topic discussion..........I've been banned from the other by skip.  :slap:

Fred

Learnt from the best.  :2thumbs:   :nana:

skip68

I think We can make more people mad here and do more damage.    :2thumbs:

JB400

Quote from: skip68 on November 28, 2012, 02:43:52 AM
I think We can make more people mad here and do more damage.    :2thumbs:
That's for sure,  almost as bad as mentioning General Lee and tech board.  One full page is hijacked.  I'm blaming you Skip

Fred

I think We can make more people mad here and do more damage.    :2thumbs:

Lead on.

skip68

I can't believe ........Ahhhh, never mind. 

Fred

Quote from: stroker400 wedge on November 28, 2012, 02:45:08 AM
I think We can make more people mad here and do more damage.    :2thumbs:
That's for sure,  almost as bad as mentioning General Lee and tech board.  One full page is hijacked.  I'm blaming you Skip

That's alright, nowhere does it say you can't hijack your own thread..............you are well withing your rights.  :2thumbs:

JB400

Now back to our regularly scheduled programming

G-man

Why not just put a link on top that does not move like "Show us your chargers, post here" thread that never moves. Make one for the GL like that that will eventually turn into 100 pages long like the rest of them. At least its in one spot on the discussion forum or something for people to check up minor things. Considering it was really just Vector SE wheels, 01 on doors, general lee flag and orange, i dont see that turning into a long paged discussion as theres not much to it, at least however its in one spot for the GL guys or whatever in a normal section. Wouldnt bother with a whole new section for it like Aero Cars, thats silly.

SO I voted NO for a whole new tech board section but i do say YES to making it a pinned thread like the charger pictures.

Captain D

I voted ay' to the idea of a G.L. tech section,  ;).

Reason being, those specific G.L. sites are certainly valuable in that they possess a wealth of information to those wishing to build a replica, but it seems that the sheer volume of mechanical questions in restoring a "1968-1970 Dodge Charger" can, in general, be quite limited simply because they generate other discussions, such as events, model making, and random off-the-wall questions about the series as a whole, etc. but, I personally just haven't seen them generate a lot of debate in the mechanical field. They are more 'generalized,'  ;). In the past for example, when building my Lee, I would post a question and I'd be lucky if I received a reply or two. On the other hand, more often than not, when I'd post here instead it would generate a lengthy discussion thread simply because there are more mechanical gurus here than at any 'fan site' - regardless of what hobby it may be.

For instance, I once posted what other G.L. builders used to go with the brown padding instead of the very common black roll-bar. I was curious to see if any Lee owners used any brown polyethylene roll-bar padding by chance, where they found it at, how much it was, or if companies don't make the stuff in this particular color did they paint it - if so, what brand was used, did they use a dye rather than a rattle can, has anyone used gaffers tape, if so, what were the results, etc. In addition to the roll-bar question, I asked a series of other mechanical questions only to not have a single reply. Yeah, perhaps no one out there has a brown roll-bar in their Lee to chime in with or didn't know the answer to those other questions, but with more knowledge here than at a typical fan site perhaps it could have started a lead on how best to go about help with those questions considering the fact that you guys have more insight and personal experiences on modification, etc. Another question I asked pertained to whether or not to add a zinc additive with my engine oil. Out of 100+ reviews, I had only one reply. Sure, I truly appreciated and respected his experience but it was different than what I was hearing here as a consensus of what is needed for oil in these older cars. Not to say that he was wrong necessarily, but if I had relied solely on that fan site and from a single response, this G.L. owner (like others who may be out there) may have been in trouble with my engine later on down the road - which is why I am grateful towards those who replied here to my question.

Besides, the G.L. is more than just an orange car, a push bar, roll-bar, and a rebel flag on top as someone casually mentioned previously. During the show, variances in modifications were done on the car, such as back-up lenses and side-marker lenses were removed, grilles were tweaked/modified, and the overall structure of the car was reinforced for stunts - I think it would be interesting to generate some fresh mechanical insights on the different options on how one can best go about doing these variances on their build if they choose to do so if they're building one on a budget - and do it safely - that only a place like this would know best since some GL owners may not even know about this site in the first place.

Can you tell that I'm biased, lol?  :icon_smile_cool: Anyhow, I'll get off my soapbox and end it by saying that either with or without a G.L tech section I still love this site and I'm not in any way trying to bash the other G.L. fan sites in any way shape or form or its members who respond in their garage section to say the least, but simply to say in a nutshell that I think by adding this tech section for those G.L. owners, such as myself, can be a good idea for it may help to generate not only more members, but also serve as a home base for everything Mopar for those seeking as much insight as we can regardless of our builds. Just a perspective and .02 cents...
Best regards,
Aaron