News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

General lee tech board.

Started by JB400, November 26, 2012, 04:44:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Should the Mods set up a technical board for GL builders

Yes
32 (45.7%)
No
38 (54.3%)

Total Members Voted: 70

Voting closed: December 10, 2012, 04:44:52 PM

kikgas01

They were never the same. They never primered them. They painted over green, red, black, blue, white....So that is why there was so many different shades..... I had my interior pieces color scanned and have the exact match and code and I always share my info with others......  

kikgas01

The dash in my second General

Dash in my 3rd General...

Didn`t finish the cluster and such as I sold the turd,,,,

Brock Lee

Quote from: Indygenerallee on November 29, 2012, 09:46:11 AM
LEE 1 was Hemi Orange and then they went to Corvette Flame Red after they quit filming in Georgia.

Lee1 was not Hemi Orange. Nor was Lee2 or Lee3.

mauve66

thank G** they weren't mauve, some would say it was pink instead........... :popcrn:
Robert-Las Vegas, NV

NEEDS:
body work
paint - mauve and black
powder coat wheels - mauve and black
total wiring
PW
PDLKS
Tint
trim
engine - 520/540, eddy heads, 6pak
alignment

Dino

Quote from: Brock Lee on November 29, 2012, 04:31:10 PM
Quote from: Indygenerallee on November 29, 2012, 09:46:11 AM
LEE 1 was Hemi Orange and then they went to Corvette Flame Red after they quit filming in Georgia.

Lee1 was not Hemi Orange. Nor was Lee2 or Lee3.

Was it hugger orange?
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

Ghoste

Does anyone actually know what color they were?

Brock Lee

I am not in a place where I am ready to share much. My point here is basically this: Don't believe what you read on the internet. Hell, don't even take my word for it. Do your own research, in real life, and see what you find.

In my opinion, based on what I know for indisputable fact based on hard evidence (meaning actual paint from these cars), Corvette Flame Red will get you close enough to any era of the TV show. Even Lee1 and the other 2 early cars with the additional red pigment are closer to CFR than any of the theorized colors suggested by the "experts". The largest issue these cars had with colors is the orange paints bought were cheap and some faded faster than others. Some paints faded to a somewhat brownish orange, some faded to an almost sherbet highlight. They started at the same place with a slight tolerance to the old style paint mixing. The California sun did the rest.

cdr

Quote from: Brock Lee on November 29, 2012, 05:43:16 PM
I am not in a place where I am ready to share much. My point here is basically this: Don't believe what you read on the internet. Hell, don't even take my word for it. Do your own research, in real life, and see what you find.

In my opinion, based on what I know for indisputable fact based on hard evidence (meaning actual paint from these cars), Corvette Flame Red will get you close enough to any era of the TV show. Even Lee1 and the other 2 early cars with the additional red pigment are closer to CFR than any of the theorized colors suggested by the "experts". The largest issue these cars had with colors is the orange paints bought were cheap and some faded faster than others. Some paints faded to a somewhat brownish orange, some faded to an almost sherbet highlight. They started at the same place with a slight tolerance to the old style paint mixing. The California sun did the rest.

now here in lies the problem lmao, now the gl has top secret paint
LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr

cdr

glad when i ask a question for a non gl charger , i ALWAYS get help from DC.COM
LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver

kikgas01

It was also because they painted over what ever color they were. No primer, just paint. That changes the colors as well...

Mike DC

And let's not forget that the moon would not have been at the same stage of waxing/waning during the time when each car was painted.  I'm thinking that would affect it too.

General_01

I voted no for the simple fact that there are other sites which cater to the DOH and General Lee(Confederate General Lee Fan Club) already. The arguments about the Aero part of the board is a non-comparison because of the simple fact that they were factory stepchildren.

I loved the General and even owned a replica for 7 years, but making a special place on the board to discuss the exterior color, interior dye, small pushbar/large pushbar is just not neccessary in my opinion. It will also keep the infighting down. You can go to those sites and discuss the General with people who really embrace the car and show without the party crashers who just can't stand the car and need to let you know they can't stand the car.
1971 Dodge Charger Super Bee
496 stroker
4-speed

Ghoste

Three days, fives pages, eleven hundred views and less than fifty votes still basically tied.  I still don't see a need.

bill440rt

"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

cdr

yep i want to change my vote ,is that possible?

Captain D

I do tend to write a lot, eh, lol? Sorry about that,   icon_smile_wink

Although a fan, such as myself, wouldn't mind hearing of what others may not agree on with regards to Dukes' just to better learn why all the negativity - its probably best to just let it ride since we all simply have different views to say the least  2thumbs.

As for a new tech section coming from a fan's perspective, either way with or without is cool at this point. Coming from that fan's perspective, yeah, it would be nice to have a section where those building a G.L. can post to receive some more hands-on knowledge on what was used on the show and what works/what doesn't work, as well as see variances on how different builders built them (as Kilgas01 had shown) simply because the 'garage' section on those fan sites can be quite limited with the amount of responses as compared to the wealth of knowledge on this site. After all, it's possible to focus on the positive, rather than the negative, in practically anything when it comes down to if we so choose to do so. However, if this new possible new section may lead to a Dukes bashing frenzy, then I agree it may be best to simply separate the two boards altogether. As a Dukes fan, I can just as easily post there as I can here. After all, I can also respect this board, and all of its members, enough to state that if they want it Dukes free so as to focus primarily on just the 68-70' Charger without any additional themed car topics then so be it. Since I got my 69' over six years ago, this site has been a true Godsend in the amount of helpful information that I've received over the years and I just don't want to stir up any ill feelings because of the respect that I have for this site. With that, I'll exit from this discussion as gracefully as I can and say that I hope y'all have a great holiday and see you in the threads to come!  cheers

High regards,
Aaron         

Ghoste

As someone who voted no and maintains his opinion I can also tell you that I don't think the forum should be Dukes free either.  I think the GL has existed quite nicely within the forum as it is now and hasn't needed to be put in a secluded area.  The topic originally came up as a way to avoid animosity and I don't think it would accomplish that myself.  I think it would happen just as much.

Cooter

I think if GL fans would post the same about OEM Hemi sh*t every time a thread is opened by purists, maybe THAT would stop the hating on the GL?

The simple fact that GL fans don't do it now, is why it continues with the GL. You knwo, squeeky wheel and all.
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

Ghoste

Assuming its Hemi fans who post bad things about GL's.  Better to be safe and just post nasty stuff in every single thread that isn't devoted to loving adoration of the GL.

Cooter

Quote from: Ghoste on November 30, 2012, 07:08:35 AM
Assuming its Hemi fans who post bad things about GL's.  Better to be safe and just post nasty stuff in every single thread that isn't devoted to loving adoration of the GL.

Well, assuming everybody loves the HEMI, then it's correct. However, a taste of their own medicine might be in order..."Disguised" as "Humor" mind you.
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

Ghoste

I imagine the results would work spectacularly.

Mike DC

To say it again, I agree with Ghoste.  

The GL is a welcome topic on the discussion and the tech forums as long as neither place gets overrun with GL threads.  The existing policy has worked pretty well for many years so I see no reason to change it now.  And there is such a thing as having too many separate forums.  If people wanna get too far into GL tech, there are numerous GL sites with their own forums already.  

Some of us who have GL's don't belong to the other dukes sites.

No I haven't voted yet.

Cooter

Quote from: Mike DC (formerly miked) on November 30, 2012, 04:08:43 PM
To say it again, I agree with Ghoste.  

The GL is a welcome topic on the discussion and the tech forums as long as neither place gets overrun with GL threads.  

If that were the case, this thread, along with many others, wouldn't exist. But alas, I am in agreement that there shouldn't be a GL specific section. We know where we stand here, no need to create even MORE Problems.

jb666

Quote from: Cooter on November 30, 2012, 07:04:05 AM
I think if GL fans would post the same about OEM Hemi sh*t every time a thread is opened by purists, maybe THAT would stop the hating on the GL?

The simple fact that GL fans don't do it now, is why it continues with the GL. You knwo, squeeky wheel and all.

Hey.. I can do both!!  Well, almost.. I don't have a factory Hemi..  But I can't stand the frickin' motor.. If I were to do it all over again, I'd have a BBC stuffed under the hood.. which would REALLY piss the purists off...  What's all the hype about the Hemi anyways.. only cool thing I see are the valve covers...  :lol: