News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Factory exhaust for a 440

Started by Voss, November 25, 2012, 07:51:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Voss

This topic has probably been discussed before, but I'm looking to replace the complete exhaust on my -68 R/T. I want everything stock and factory-like. Also when it comes to the sound. I do not have the ambition to do any upgrades or modifications, just getting things back to original (or as close as possible). Engine is stock, and no headers.

I have talked to Accurate, and looked at TTi. The system from Accurate looks promising (with their Hemi mufflers).

Any thoughts or comments?

Thought I post a thread since most other exhaust threads are about modifications and upgrades.

b5blue

It's going to be a while for me but I think you can't go wrong with them. One point nobody really mentions but was important to me is the gauge of steel. Accurate uses a thicker steel then most and that could effect not just durability but tone as well.  :2thumbs:

histoy

I've gotten the Accurate system for for our '68 Charger, and our '71 Charger.  They were excellent!

Just 6T9 CHGR

I have a full Accurate LTD system in the Charger as well.  Had it custom made to a full 2.5"  Tom Swope is a good guy to deal with as well.  I think you just missed their Black Friday sale as well :(
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

Voss

Quote from: Just 6T9 CHGR on November 25, 2012, 10:09:31 AM
I have a full Accurate LTD system in the Charger as well.  Had it custom made to a full 2.5"  Tom Swope is a good guy to deal with as well.  I think you just missed their Black Friday sale as well :(

Just a check up: Factory style is 2.5" exhaust pipes with 2.5" H-pipe and 2.25" tail pipes, yes?

Mopar Nut

TTI custom made a complete full 2.5" stainless steel exhaust system for my Charger, mounts to the stock exhaust manifolds.  
"Dear God, my prayer for 2024 is a fat bank account and a thin body. Please don't mix these up like you did the last ten years."

twodko

Have an Accurate system on my 69 and am very pleased with it. The H pipe is a piece of art!
FLY NAVY/Marine Corps or take the bus!

Just 6T9 CHGR

Quote from: Voss on November 25, 2012, 04:29:09 PM
Quote from: Just 6T9 CHGR on November 25, 2012, 10:09:31 AM

Just a check up: Factory style is 2.5" exhaust pipes with 2.5" H-pipe and 2.25" tail pipes, yes?

Correct....the H-pipe cuts down to 2.25" at the mufflers.  I had them keep it 2.5" all the way to the tailpipes.

I got the complete system back in the spring of 2005 & still looks as good as the day I installed it.

A few different muffler changes through the years as well

Chris' '69 Charger R/T

Rolling_Thunder

Accurate or nothing....    for factory styles no one can beat them.   :2thumbs:
1968 Dodge Charger - 6.1L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.55 Sure Grip

2013 Dodge Challenger R/T - 5.7L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.73 Limited Slip

1964 Dodge Polara 500 - 440 / 4-speed / 3.91 Sure Grip

1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye - 340 / A-518 / 3.23 Sure Grip

resq302

I agree. I  have had my Acurate Exhaust on my charger since 2006 and no issues at all!  We also have an Acurate exhaust on our chally and have had no issues either! :2thumbs:
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

maxwellwedge

FYI

ECS is now making correct Hemi mufflers....as well as E body mufflers and resonators. They are the best out there next to NOS. No pipes - just mufflers.

Dino

So hpw much are we talking about for a full system with H pipe?  Do they make them to fit headers as well or just manifolds?
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

Voss

Quote from: Dino on November 26, 2012, 12:03:56 PM
So hpw much are we talking about for a full system with H pipe?  Do they make them to fit headers as well or just manifolds?

I called Tom yesterday but we only discussed a system which fit manifolds. Give him a call and ask, he seems to be a good guy to deal with.

For a complete system with H-pipe, mufflers, exhaust pipes, tips, hangers and gaskets you are looking at $900, approximately. Tom recommended to keep it 2.5" all the way. No cut down to 2.25"...

Voss

Quote from: histoy on November 25, 2012, 09:20:17 AM
I've gotten the Accurate system for for our '68 Charger, and our '71 Charger.  They were excellent!

Do you have the 2.25" cut down at the mufflers or did you keep it 2.5" all the way?

Voss

Talked to Tom yesterday. I will order a complete system with ACM-55 mufflers and 2.5" all the way.

Will post pics in this thread when I install the new parts.

Voss

I changed my mind and finally decided to go all factory style with the 2.5" neck down to the mufflers (I know, 2.5" flows better but I want factory for this car). I ordered a complete system with H-pipe, ACM-6885 mufflers, tips and hangers from Tom and it is on its way now.

Will update this thread with pics when I get the parts!