News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Head scratcher about EPA mileage...

Started by Troy, November 15, 2012, 01:36:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

resq302

wow!  Thats pretty sad.  My 2007 F150 Lariat quad cab 4x4 with short bed can tow about 10,000 maybe a little more as I have the 3.73 gears and the 5.4 V-8.  When I tow our enclosed 24' car trailer with my charger, I get anywhere from 8-10 mpg when we went out to Carlisle or other places.  Around town combination of city and highway to and from work, I get an average of 13-15 mpg cruising at a highway speed of 70 mph with the cruise control on.  I have noticed that the numbers for my highway mileage has been slipping a little.  Im hoping its from the oxygenated fuel they have been putting in the pumps now as it is down to the lower to mid 14s.  The truck has its oil changed every 3000 miles and tranny fluid changed every 24,000 miles with filter every time.  Mileage is now just turning over the 70,000 mile mark.
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

skip68

Now keep in mind this was running on gasoline only.  I have still yet to find mpg's on E85.   Some guys were claiming 21-22 MPG and some were claiming 14-15 MPG.   This may have to do with conditions, geographic locations and drivers foot.         
skip68, A.K.A. Chuck \ 68 Charger 440 auto\ 67 Camaro RS (no 440)       FRANKS & BEANS !!!

skip68

Found it.  You can't run E85 in the ecoboost engine.   
skip68, A.K.A. Chuck \ 68 Charger 440 auto\ 67 Camaro RS (no 440)       FRANKS & BEANS !!!

Troy

Quote from: skip68 on December 05, 2012, 04:08:55 PM
Found it.  You can't run E85 in the ecoboost engine.   
I think I've mentioned that a few times already. How hard were you looking? :P

As for towing, most of the responses on those forums mention that the Ecoboost is just as capable as the *older* diesels when not towing at the max (say, up to about 9,000 pounds). Several people (who tow regularly) have posted cost comparisons as justification for their purchase. Some with vehicles as new as a 2008 Duramax. The Ecoboost has the same power and torque numbers as most of the 2000 model year diesels - but maintenance is cheaper, fuel is cheaper, and the truck weighs a lot less. One guy had savings of almost $3,000 over 10,000 miles.

I've been having a lot of trouble finding towing data for anything other than travel trailers. I'm positive that pulling a 10,000 pound load of rock is more efficient than pulling a 10,000 pound TT (with the aerodynamics of a barn) into a headwind. I have an open car hauler and my Tahoe would only lose about 2.5 mpg towing a big block Charger (about 5,700 pounds total).

There are great deals here - I can pick up a brand new F150 (5.0 or Ecoboost) for about the same cost as a new Tacoma. I'm not looking at the Lariat or Platinum though. I can't see how anyone could buy a pickup truck costing well over $50k.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

skip68

Evidently not hard enough.  I was mostly looking at mpg's and problems that engines had.   Plus I cheated and skimmed through the posts.  Lesson learned. 

Steve P.

Yeah, what more can we expect from a guy that bought a 68' GL??   :smilielol: :smilielol: :smilielol: :nana: :nana: :nana: :nana: :nana: :nana:

I have been trying to get my info. from guys with loaded up Super Crew's. 2 and 4 wheel drive. For the most part I can't find anyone that really uses 4 wheel drive enough to say one way or the other and the one guy that plows has a 5.L. He says the truck never misses a beat and is one of the best plow trucks he's ever had, but had trouble putting a plow on it due to some design problems and that the 8 foot plow was a bit heavy on the nose. That was an extended cab truck and in my humble opinion I believe he was running too wide a tire for plowing..

BUt as I said on the rest earlier, (SKIP), if you plan on good mileage while towing your 7 foot tall wind hungry wall down the road you better pick up a cummins....

And Skip, Troy let you off pretty easy.. I was about to NAIL YOUR ASS!!!  Hahahahahahahahaha.... Love ya like a brother, sister.....  :smilielol: :smilielol:
Steve P.
Holiday, Florida

skip68

Steve P.

Steve P.
Holiday, Florida