News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Tool Question...

Started by moparfreak, February 10, 2006, 10:20:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

moparfreak

mmm, good to be back. I've been gone from this forum for a couple months now, been busy finishing up school and searching for that elusive first salaried job...

But I'm back, sadly don't get to work on my charger cause it's 90 miles away...

Anyways, I was looking into purchasing a small benchtop hydraulic press, 6 ton or so. In the course of my tranny rebuild, there were a few times it would have come in handy.

I was curious as to how many of you think it's a tool that would be worthwhile, or should I just say the hell w/ it and spend money on something else and have things taken to a shop when I need stuff pressed in/out??

Thanks,
Adam

Blown70

Quote from: moparfreak on February 10, 2006, 10:20:26 AM
mmm, good to be back. I've been gone from this forum for a couple months now, been busy finishing up school and searching for that elusive first salaried job...

But I'm back, sadly don't get to work on my charger cause it's 90 miles away...

Anyways, I was looking into purchasing a small benchtop hydraulic press, 6 ton or so. In the course of my tranny rebuild, there were a few times it would have come in handy.

I was curious as to how many of you think it's a tool that would be worthwhile, or should I just say the hell w/ it and spend money on something else and have things taken to a shop when I need stuff pressed in/out??

Thanks,
Adam

Depends, How often will you use it?  If it is once or twice may not be worth it.

Tom

Ghoste

What he said.  I have one and it's paid for itself many times over but it also seems to be a tool that friends aren't calling all the time to see if they can use it. 

Telvis

I'm sure you could probably find one at Harbour Freight or Northern Tool fairly inexpensively. That might make it a bit easier to justify.

moparfreak

That's what I figure, I can get a benchtop 6 ton press at HF for $60. I figure, if I need to have something takne to a shop, it'd be at least that much.

Adam

4402tuff4u

I've used a 10 ton jack with, several threaded rods, steel angles to press off some of my stuff. It worked great! I was to cheap tp buy one and to lazy to go to some shop to get it done. :icon_smile_big:
"Mother should I trust the government?........... Pink Floyd "Mother"

Blown70

Quote from: moparfreak on February 10, 2006, 02:31:14 PM
That's what I figure, I can get a benchtop 6 ton press at HF for $60. I figure, if I need to have something takne to a shop, it'd be at least that much.

Adam

For that price I would get it. 

not worth the hastle going to a shop a couple times for that price

Tom

Skyview69

Buy it. You can never have enough tools. $60 is cheap.

John_Kunkel

:iagree: I only use my press a few times a year but wouldn't be without it.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.