News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

My Deal of a Liftime

Started by tin_soldier, August 18, 2005, 10:22:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

itchyballs

i think my deal of a life time would be my 69 R/T charger. all original sheetmetal and matching numbers#. paid $900 for it about 7 years ago. man i wish i could find some more deals like that. sounds like a good deal  tin soldier. post some pics and your progress for us..... :) :) :) :)

JimShine

Congrats! I am from CT myself. Actually bought (accidentally) the '69 I grew up looking at from my school bus window.

Tom_440

41husk

I bought my 68 with matching 383 and a 68 roller for $4,000 cost $1200 have it delivered and sold the roller for $2,000 and put about $6,000 in it so I now have a nice driver for about $9,000.  I think that is about the best deal I ever made.
1969 Dodge Charger 500 440/727
1970 Challenger convertible 340/727
1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904
1983 Plymouth Scamp GT 2.2 Auto
1950 Dodge Pilot house pick up

3XBlack73SE

Why bring back such an old thread? August 18, 2005??

MOPARHOUND!

Quote from: 3XBlack73SE on October 28, 2005, 07:41:08 PM
Why bring back such an old thread? August 18, 2005??

Why not?  :icon_smile:

Any updates?  ???
1971 Charger R/T, 440 H.P., Auto, A/C Daily Driven (till gas went nuts).  NOW IN CARS FOR SALE SECTION: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,48709.0.html
1969 Charger 318/Auto (latest addtion): http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,31948.0.html
*Speed costs money son, how fast do you want to go, and for how long?"
*"Build the biggest engine you can afford the first time."
*"We normally wouldn't use a 383 for this build, parts and labor for a 440 cost the same."

cudaken

I just check and Tin was on line yesterday, but has not posted on this thread. Guess no news is good news.

Cuda Ken
I am back

'CUDA360

Right.. It's great when you can keep it in the family and everyone is on board

One time my father in law pointed a 'CUDA out to me in the paper!!
I still have that one

tin_soldier

***UPDATE***

I recently was going to sell my Charger.  I know shame on me after all the talk of my dream car.  I must admit I was down hearted.  It took me forever to get the tranny in.  Hey I am new at this stuff what would take a semi-pro would take me double the time.  Not that I am new to working on cars but I am new to doing everything on my own.  After the tranny was in I wanted to turn the motor over so I got the socket and the biggest wrench I could find and I could not turn the blasted thing over.  That is when I broke down.  I lost all interest and started to look for buyers.  :icon_smile_dissapprove:

Then a buddy told me to pull out the plugs.  I did that and wouldn't you know it turned over once that happened, it was like a weight was lifted.  That night I did more work on the car than I had ever done to date.  Ever time I go to work on it now it is fun and everything just seems to be flowing just right.  I hope to keep this pace up.  I guess I just needed a  :nutkick: to get back in line

Thanks for the help guys.  I do come here regularly for tips.  :2thumbs:

Old Moparz

Hang in there, spring is coming. When you see a few other nice cars at a local cruise, you'll feel even more motivated. It's easy to get discouraged, but try to ignore that part & close the garage door for a little while. The old car bug hardly ever goes away, it just hybernates, but most everyone has one of those "I regret I sold it" stories.
               Bob               

Going Nowhere In A Hurry

Charger_Fan

Glad to hear you didn't sell & are now playing with it more. :thumbs:

Just keep going a little at a time & before you know it, you'll be mostly done! :thumbs:

The Aquamax...yes, this bike spent 2 nights underwater one weekend. (Not my doing), but it gained the name, and has since become pseudo-famous. :)

CB

Quote from: CHARGER_FAN on February 10, 2006, 03:19:20 PM
Glad to hear you didn't sell & are now playing with it more. :thumbs:

Just keep going a little at a time & before you know it, you'll be mostly done! :thumbs:

yea, right.... ;)
1968 Dodge Coronet 500

ChgrSteve67

Where are the progress pictures?
I would love to see an action shot of you trying to turn the motor with the plugs still in and pissed off.

My wife has one of me holding a lit cutting torch in my hands staring at the car.
For some reason she won't tell me where it is.

Truth of the situation is the radiator bolts were rusted solid and I could not cut them off with a hack saw so I fired up the torch.
I think you can guess who won after that, I only had a few extra holes in the radiator support to patch.

Don't sweat the not knowing how to do something. I work on mine until I'm stuck, then I ask for help. Even if it has to sit for a year or more or take it to someone to get past the crap I just can't do (Like installing a custom exhaust system). Just make sure you don't let the weather screw up the good work you have done. Make sure you keep it covered when you are not working on it and keep the inside dry (even if it does not have an interior).

Make a list of what needs to be done, prioritize the list and put a dollar amount next to each item. I try to create phases in the rebuild, outline what I want to do next and see how much money I need to complete that phase. If the phase cost two much money I think about how I can break up that phase into smaller tasks that I can afford.

I have been working on mine for the last 4 years. Safety came first (Breaks, Fuel System and lights), them came the drive train (rear end, trany, motor and electrical), next is metal work, body work, chrome, paint then interior.

My next phase is metal work. Hood scoop, sub frame connectors, spoiler and deck plating for the trunk area.
After I have all of my parts I'm taking the Charger to a metal worker to have it all installed.
Total price for this phase is around $2500.00 and should be done by September.
Currently I'm about $900.00 short and still missing my hood scoop.

Don't let passed dates get you down, there is always next year.
Make sure you set a new date.

Planning, thought and patience plays a big part in rebuilding these cars and lots of money really helps.

Oh I almost for got to tell you. "They are never done"

http://66-67charger.com/v-web/gallery/Steve-Shirley