News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

What Radar Dectector do you use and how good does it work?

Started by oldcarnut, November 22, 2012, 08:28:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

oldcarnut

Mine quit tonight and it's outdated anyway.  Thinking of getting another during the sales this weekend.  It's rare that I use it to intentionally speed but it does keep me in check if I'm a few miles over or in fast traffic when it goes off. Most the local revenue generators hand out tickets like candy and write the tickets for city ordnance violations instead of a point ticket.  Fines are higher and more money stays in the city instead of going to the state.  About pays for itself first time needed. No offence intended as there are many good guys out there and on this board that are in enforcement and help people out.

Silver R/T

I have Beltronics RX65, pretty good radar detector for $200 range. If you have extra couple hundred I'd get Passport 9500ix
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

bordin34

Get a Valentine V1, there is no better detector for the money.

1973 SE Brougham Black 4̶0̶0̶  440 Auto.
1967 Coronet Black 440 Auto
1974 SE Brougham Blue 318 Auto- Sold to a guy in Croatia
1974 Valiant Green 318 Auto - Sold to a guy in Louisiana
Mahwah,NJ

FJMG

Cooter

" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

FJMG

DixieRestoParts

Dixie Restoration Parts
Ball Ground, Georgia
Phone: (770) 975-9898
Phone Hours: M-F 10am-6pm EST
mail@dixierestorationparts.com
Veteran owned small business

The Best Parts at a Fair Price

lasvegas69charg

69 dodge charger 383/727/3.55 (my dad is the original owner-matching number) stroked to a 496😉

JB400

I don't use electronic babysitters, I obey the law. Heck of a lot cheaper.

oldcarnut

Quote from: Silver R/T on November 22, 2012, 08:35:54 PM
I have Beltronics RX65, pretty good radar detector for $200 range. If you have extra couple hundred I'd get Passport 9500ix
Seems like the Passport rates good on most of the reviews.
http://radar-detectors-review.toptenreviews.com/

Tilar

It's been a lot of years since I used one, Can't even remember the name of it any more but I used it when I would make the run from my place in Texas to Ohio, always at night. I used to make that 1200 mile run in an easy 15 hours including stopping for fuel, grab a fast sandwich and restroom stops. At this age I don't want to do that anymore.  :rotz:
Dave  

God must love stupid people; He made so many.

Bob T

Quote from: Silver R/T on November 22, 2012, 08:35:54 PM

I have a Beltronics GX 65, good range and features, had it over 3 years and its good, but the model has been superseded.
Paid around $1000 NZD for it.
Did I get tucked for it?, what do they go for locally?

Reviews;

http://www.radardirect.co.nz/
Old Dog, Old Tricks.

Silver R/T

I've had cheap $50 Whistler and I didn't have tickets. It got stolen and I got ticket. I got radar detector again and no tickets.
Coincidence? Perhaps not.
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

stripedelete

I used to use a Passport.  It worked well. Upgarded for laser.   But it turned out to be just a ticket notification device.  So I just slowed down.   

mauve66

always used whistler, don't even know if they are in business anymore, never got a ticket when it was turned on
haven't had one in 15 years now but have gotten 4 tickets since then, always had a lawyer reduce them to parking tickets, cost a little more but insurance never went up either
i speed, everyday, speed doesn't kill, inattentive drivers, driving past your skill or the vehicles capabilities does.
but if i get a ticket i don't begrudge the officer, he's doing his job, i just got caught, that's all
always wanted a valentine to try out, probably get stolen the first night in my neighborhood..............
Robert-Las Vegas, NV

NEEDS:
body work
paint - mauve and black
powder coat wheels - mauve and black
total wiring
PW
PDLKS
Tint
trim
engine - 520/540, eddy heads, 6pak
alignment

Mike DC

QuoteBut it turned out to be just a ticket notification device.

A major problem with RDs.  You already have the ticket by the time it senses anything.

kab69440

Quote from: stroker400 wedge on November 23, 2012, 12:06:41 AM

Even that doesn't work in Ohio. EVERYONE pays into the Smiling Policeman Fund. I don't care how lawfully you drive. Even if the ticket gets thrown out, by the time you pay the court fees, you still might as well have paid the citation. The only benefit is not getting points against your license.
Imagination was given to man to compensate him for what he is not;  a sense of humor to console him for what he is.      Francis Bacon

WANT TO BUY:
Looking for a CD by  'The Sub-Mersians'  entitled "Raw Love Songs From My Garage To Your Bedroom"

Also, any of the various surf-revival compilation albums this band has contributed to.
Thank you,    Kenny

Jesus drove a Honda. He wasn't proud of it, though...
John 12: 49     "...for I did not speak of my own Accord."

JB400

Quote from: kab69440 on November 24, 2012, 06:35:10 PM

Even that doesn't work in Ohio. EVERYONE pays into the Smiling Policeman Fund. I don't care how lawfully you drive. Even if the ticket gets thrown out, by the time you pay the court fees, you still might as well have paid the citation. The only benefit is not getting points against your license.
Why in the heck would I get pulled over if I'm driving like I'm supposed to and have a fully legal vehicle????  Don't break the law and they won't bother you.  Unless they are looking to cause trouble.

kab69440

Quote from: stroker400 wedge on November 25, 2012, 12:51:29 AM

Why in the heck would I get pulled over if I'm driving like I'm supposed to and have a fully legal vehicle????  Don't break the law and they won't bother you.  Unless they are looking to cause trouble.

If you don't give them an excuse, they will make one up. Ordinarily, they are fishing for drunks or hoping for an excuse to search for contraband. I cannot tell you how many times in how many vehicles I have been pulled over for a non- functional license plate light that was working just fine and dandy when I got out to inspect it. "Must have a short in it" is the usual reply to my glare of cynical disbelief.  Yeah, buddy. I'll just bet.

Just a couple of months ago, I got pulled over for failing to signal a lane change.  I changed lanes directly in front of a Statie with no other cars between us. I KNOW I signaled!  When I reqested to review the footage from the dash cam to witness my violation I was informed that it would not be necessary be cause she was not going to cite me.  She just "wanted to make me aware so that I would be more careful in the future". This is Ohio. Any excuse or no excuse, they will find SOMETHING to write you up for.
Imagination was given to man to compensate him for what he is not;  a sense of humor to console him for what he is.      Francis Bacon

WANT TO BUY:
Looking for a CD by  'The Sub-Mersians'  entitled "Raw Love Songs From My Garage To Your Bedroom"

Also, any of the various surf-revival compilation albums this band has contributed to.
Thank you,    Kenny

JB400

Quote from: kab69440 on November 25, 2012, 06:31:33 AM
Quote from: stroker400 wedge on November 25, 2012, 12:51:29 AM

Why in the heck would I get pulled over if I'm driving like I'm supposed to and have a fully legal vehicle????  Don't break the law and they won't bother you.  Unless they are looking to cause trouble.

If you don't give them an excuse, they will make one up. Ordinarily, they are fishing for drunks or hoping for an excuse to search for contraband. I cannot tell you how many times in how many vehicles I have been pulled over for a non- functional license plate light that was working just fine and dandy when I got out to inspect it. "Must have a short in it" is the usual reply to my glare of cynical disbelief.  Yeah, buddy. I'll just bet.

Just a couple of months ago, I got pulled over for failing to signal a lane change.  I changed lanes directly in front of a Statie with no other cars between us. I KNOW I signaled!  When I reqested to review the footage from the dash cam to witness my violation I was informed that it would not be necessary be cause she was not going to cite me.  She just "wanted to make me aware so that I would be more careful in the future". This is Ohio. Any excuse or no excuse, they will find SOMETHING to write you up for.
Sounds like you need to whine to the athorities.  Start complaining to the city and state.  They will get tired of it quick.  Let them know you've had enough.  I was getting pulled over for walking to Wal Mart at 11 p.m. in a commercial district.  11 times in 4 months.  Sometimes with bags in hand. One time, it was twice in the same weekend.  I flat out let that last cop have it.  Had 2 cops pull guns on me for moving a buddies' car.  I've been pulled over because I was overdressed for yard work. I got one ticket because officer couldn't read my plate from 50 ft. $35 bucks.  I've had enough of their bs.  I actually go up and tell them when they made a mistake.  I have everything documented.  I've cooled down since they've laid off of me.

kab69440

Quote from: stroker400 wedge on November 25, 2012, 09:37:04 AM
Sounds like you need to whine to the athorities.  Start complaining to the city and state.  They will get tired of it quick.  Let them know you've had enough.
[/quote]

BWAAAAAAAHAHAHAHA(*TEARS :lol:!)HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!! :lol:

WANT TO BUY:

Thank you,    Kenny

NYCMille

As someone who's done just about every cross-country rally in the book at speed, I can tell you that the V1 is far and away the BEST unit on the market. Combine that with a pair of K40 laser jammers and you're golden. Those two units alone have literally saved me THOUSANDS of dollars and my license over the years.

ACUDANUT

Your wasting your time and money. Unless the cop leaves his radar on, it ain't ganna help you.  I point the gun, hit the trigger and it tells me how fast you are going. No advance warning, even if you have a 10K unit. :Twocents: :cheers:Your wasting your time and money.

Ghoste

Assuming there are no cars between you and the detector user that you point the gun and hit the trigger on first.  :D