News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

OK, opening a can of worms, but, What is so Great about the General Lee?

Started by johnnyseville, November 20, 2012, 09:12:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JB400

mauve66

:2thumbs:
we always learn something new on those threads, or at least i notice somehting different
Robert-Las Vegas, NV

NEEDS:
body work
paint - mauve and black
powder coat wheels - mauve and black
total wiring
PW
PDLKS
Tint
trim
engine - 520/540, eddy heads, 6pak
alignment

cdr

FREDDY---------you can do it  :2thumbs: :2thumbs:

my car started off gold, thats worse than green
LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr

kikgas01

Quote from: rebby on November 25, 2012, 10:41:09 AM
Quote from: kikgas01 on November 25, 2012, 10:10:28 AM
You can`t win. If it is a General, people bitch. If it is green/green like mine, people don`t like it. I don`t care anymore.... I have a double whammy. If it don`t get traded, it will be orange. Shouldn`t bother anyone as it is only a 383 green car with green interior anyway.....

I'm in the minority as I love the triple green. My GL to be started life as a triple green car. It's nowhere near a triple green car now though, the exterior has had primer sprayed over the factory paint, the interior has been (mostly) converted to black, and the vinyl top was removed. It's actually in a great place to convert to a GL. My other Charger started with a tan interior so I'm just going to do a swap.

As for your car... I'd be hesitant to do a GL conversion on yours. From what I understand, it's a survivor, and in fantastic condition at that. If you do decide to convert it though, have at it, it's your car! Who cares what everybody else thinks?
It is far from a survivor. Had many things done to it years ago. BBD is looking for a General I am sure. Really would like him to get it

I haven't really posted many pictures of my car either for the same reasons as Freddy. Mine started as a green R/T. GL build threads would turn into a build-n-bash thread, although I think most comments would be positive.

+1 for a build thread Freddy.

marshallfry01

When I get a charger it will be a general lee. I don't care if it is a numbers matching R/T, Se, or 4 speed car. It's just paint.  But hopefully I'll find a XP charger. Oh, and let's see that build Freddy!
1969 Charger 383/auto
1969 Charger R/T 440/auto (waiting to be restored)
1972 Chevelle SS clone 383 sbc
1959 Chevy Apache short bed stepside
1968 Charger (glorified parts car)
Yes, I know I have too many cars. My wife reminds me daily.

mauve66

i didn't want to say anything.................. lets wait and see......... :popcrn:
Robert-Las Vegas, NV

NEEDS:
body work
paint - mauve and black
powder coat wheels - mauve and black
total wiring
PW
PDLKS
Tint
trim
engine - 520/540, eddy heads, 6pak
alignment

TheGhost

Quote from: cdr on November 25, 2012, 12:28:15 PM
FREDDY---------you can do it  :2thumbs: :2thumbs:

my car started off gold, thats worse than green

Dunno about that.  My old Barracuda was gold.  I was pretty fond of the color.
Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.  Especially if they have access to the internet.

Cooter

Ya know what is really funny bout forums and "Hater type threads"?

I find it amazing that most positive type threads see maybe 10 replies.....Yet, post something bout how you "Disagree" with/about the General Lee and you have a 6 page thread going.....THAT'S the really weird thing.

Tis a sad, sad day when the people on a forum are so fed up with these type threads/posts, they refuse to post their own car build....I mean seriously? I know a Dodge Charger based forum had no illusions that they would never see a GL build, or have topics about one.
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

JB400

Your right Cooter :2thumbs:  It is pretty bad when the purists and haters have given a certain group of people that favor a certain paint scheme a negative impression about their tastes in cars.  The Hollywood buildups of these cars are a part of the heritage of these cars.  The silver screen has always displayed these cars since thier conception; putting these cars at/near the hallmark of pop culture.  it is because of this and the chargers' history on the racecar circuits and family memories that has created our hobby, our parts, and this site.  With the sacrifice of a small percentage of these cars, more and more attention has been brought to our favorite cars, thus creating the aftermarket supply of parts.  The purists and enthusiasts of these cars should be thanking Hollywood, not despising it.  If it wasn't for Hollywood,these cars would either be rust stains on dirt, or reincarnated as a Chevy Volt or some other pathetic hybrid.

Maybe I should build a General.  It's better to build a General Lee, than not build a Charger at all.

kikgas01

Maybe put NO GENERALS ALLOWED on the front page of the site?? It would eliminate the lovers/owners.

Ghoste

Better yet, how about no labels?  Not all purists are haters and I'll bet you most of the so called "haters" don't actually hate it.  Just because you may not want one doesn't mean you hate it.

freddyd02

Ghoste there are plenty of haters on this site and you know. But i bet if they were out mowing their front lawn and they heard a 69 Charger rolling buy that was decked out in GL attire they would stop and stare.  :nana:

Ghoste

There are no doubt some who actually hate the car but I think they are far fewer in number than some believe.

skip68

I was just going to say what you said Ghoste.  Puritans and haters are stronger words than I would use.    ;)  
skip68, A.K.A. Chuck \ 68 Charger 440 auto\ 67 Camaro RS (no 440)       FRANKS & BEANS !!!

Mike DC

A lot of Charger guys are just sick and tired of it. 

Who can blame them?  I'm a GL fanatic and even I think it has been overdone in the last decade.

Ghoste

Us squabbling about it is certainly getting old.  Mike, do you think maybe the movies, preceded by a couple of original cast made for tv feature length films, fueled some mania and that it may be dying down now?

Personally I don't see what is so appealing about the new movies, if anything it would put me off. They totally lacked the charm of the original series that made it so successful. I did enjoy the reunion movies with the original cast though.

I seriously doubt the last run of movies contributed to the craze much, and I think once the generation that grew up with the General grows older and moves away from it that it will then eventually die down. Also if they stop playing re-runs to capture future generations it will eventually die off.

Cooter

Quote from: Mike DC (formerly miked) on November 26, 2012, 01:15:58 AM

A lot of Charger guys are just sick and tired of it.  

Who can blame them?  I'm a GL fanatic and even I think it has been overdone in the last decade.

The same could be said for Hemi cars, 440 cars, etc.
I certainly get tired of seeing the same ol same ol, but Even I understand the Hemi takes center stage to the 440. The 440 takes center stage to the 383. The 340 takes center stage to the 273...

I think the sooner the "Charger guys" stop the negative posting and "Baiting" with these type threads, you will see another side of this story, but until then, these types will be considered "Haters" simply because of how they keep B*tching/whining/complaining/dramatizing/etc. (Did I cover all the bases? Don't want anybody having any misconceptions about how the "Haters" post).

Again, I certainly believe the "Charger guys" are/would've been smarter than to assume there would be NO GL being discussed on a Charger board. I'm a member of CGLFC board, and guess what? I don't think I've ever seen a thread on that board like "Oh lordy, another General Lee being converted back to OEM original. The Horror!"
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

Ghoste

I never get tired of seeing the Hemi cars personally.  Ain't it great how there's room for all?

Quote from: Ghoste on November 26, 2012, 07:30:00 AM
I never get tired of seeing the Hemi cars personally.  Ain't it great how there's room for all?

During winter we get all couped up and argue till summer rolls around.

Cooter

Quote from: Ghoste on November 26, 2012, 07:30:00 AM

Well, I'm, sure there are some that certainly do....I'm almost positive, there are some that would love to read about some guys 318 making 380 HP on Pump gas. But, alas, the Hemi will always take center stage even IF something else is cooler.

Ghoste

JB400

No matter what niche it is, people will get tired of it and complain about it.  I'm sure in the 67-68 Mustang group, there are some that are tired of Eleanor.  I for one, am tired of seeing nothing but Shelby's, but I'm polite and keep my mouth shut.  I just overlook them.  No sense in bashing someone else's taste just because I don't like it or am tired of it.  Everyone has the right to get into the hobby.