News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

OK, opening a can of worms, but, What is so Great about the General Lee?

Started by johnnyseville, November 20, 2012, 09:12:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kikgas01

Khyron

Before reading my posts please understand me by clicking
HERE, HERE, AND HERE.

Khyron

Before reading my posts please understand me by clicking
HERE, HERE, AND HERE.

Ghoste

Quote from: Khyron on November 23, 2012, 04:40:25 PM
Quote from: Ghoste on November 23, 2012, 04:27:57 PM
Exactly.  (I don't own a DMCL Charger either but I wouldn't necessarily rule it out)

You can LOL

I admit it's crossed my mind a couple of times.   :lol:

Lennard

Quote from: Daytona Guy on November 23, 2012, 03:17:27 PM
I believe I have the right to an informed opinion on this. Loved the TV program, built and owned a GL (age 19) when the show was pop. I am a MOPAR guy. Having said that, the GL thing can get old. Just depends why and how someone does the GL thing. If it is "nobody", thinking that owning a GL will give them attention trying to gain self-worth from a car, this person is a looser and needs to go see a Psychiatrist. I have met these kind of GL owners and they are nut jobs, and you really want to get away from them the moment they start talking, because they will not shut up. It is the same type of nut job that wears a Darth Vader costume to a Star Wars movie or attends their conventions. Be a balanced healthy person, enjoy the history, don't be "That Guy", and have a blast owning the GL. They bring back great memories of a great era.  
On the other side, the purists needs to also loosen up, life is more than a car. If you own your car, you have the right to do what you want to your car. You owe nothing to no one. If you want to build a butt uggly car - go for it. If you want to build a low budget car, go for it. You want to mortgage your house to build a frame off, go for it. Let's just enjoy what we all do together. It takes everyone :)
Dane

::) A lot of these Dukes and General threads are started by haters that need attention... not by Dukes lovers and General Lee owners.
So who are nut jobs?

Magnumcharger

1968 Plymouth Barracuda Formula S 340 convertible
1968 Dodge Charger R/T 426 Hemi 4 speed
1968 Plymouth Barracuda S/S clone 426 Hemi auto
1969 Dodge Deora pickup clone 318 auto
1971 Dodge Charger R/T 440 auto
1972 Dodge C600 318 4 speed ramp truck
1972 Dodge C800 413 5 speed
1979 Chrysler 300 T-top 360 auto
2001 Dodge RAM Sport Offroad 360 auto
2010 Dodge Challenger R/T 6 speed
2014 RAM Laramie 5.7 Hemi 8 speed

kikgas01

Glad it is torn apart so imbeclies don't bother you. Sounds like a excellent reason to tear apart a complete Charger. So how long has it been apart and what has been done to it so far?

Mike DC

Are there some whackjob DOH fans?  Yes, certainly.  

There are also some whackjob Christians too.  But that doesn't mean I would put any Christian believer (or even any strong believer) into that category. 

People aren't that simple.  Fans of popular things usually come in a wide range of flavors.  

marshallfry01

Quote from: Daytona Guy on November 23, 2012, 03:17:27 PM
I believe I have the right to an informed opinion on this. Loved the TV program, built and owned a GL (age 19) when the show was pop. I am a MOPAR guy. Having said that, the GL thing can get old. Just depends why and how someone does the GL thing. If it is "nobody", thinking that owning a GL will give them attention trying to gain self-worth from a car, this person is a looser and needs to go see a Psychiatrist. I have met these kind of GL owners and they are nut jobs, and you really want to get away from them the moment they start talking, because they will not shut up. It is the same type of nut job that wears a Darth Vader costume to a Star Wars movie or attends their conventions. Be a balanced healthy person, enjoy the history, don't be "That Guy", and have a blast owning the GL. They bring back great memories of a great era. 

On the other side, the purists needs to also loosen up, life is more than a car. If you own your car, you have the right to do what you want to your car. You owe nothing to no one. If you want to build a butt uggly car - go for it. If you want to build a low budget car, go for it. You want to mortgage your house to build a frame off, go for it. Let's just enjoy what we all do together. It takes everyone :)

Dane

Daytona Guy, you even look a little like John Schneider in the picture. lol  I love your replica!
1969 Charger 383/auto
1969 Charger R/T 440/auto (waiting to be restored)
1972 Chevelle SS clone 383 sbc
1959 Chevy Apache short bed stepside
1968 Charger (glorified parts car)
Yes, I know I have too many cars. My wife reminds me daily.

Ghoste

Sabre

I was born in 1979 so I grew up with the Dukes of Hazzard.  First and foremost the General Lee is great because it's a Dodge Charger.  As I said, I grew up with the Dukes and the show introduced me to the 2nd gen Charger.  I can remember whenever I went to a store and saw a 2nd gen Charger toy I had to have it.  Didn't matter what color, what size, or if it had a crazy paint job on it.  If it was a 2nd generation Charger I had to have it.  I LOVE the body style.

As for the General Lee, like I said above it's a 69 Chager.  That alone is why it's so great BUT the show made the car even more legendary.  It was the Duke boys "iron horse" that they rode to save the day.  It could jump and outrun the corrupt law but also the bad guys.  The sound of the car accelerating, the bright orange paint, the vector wheels, the horn, 01 on the doors, "General Lee" and the battle flag on the roof did it for me.  It was an automotive superhero, those reasons are what make the General Lee so great.  Add to that the show was a fun, action/adventure/comedy that was a family show.

Sabre

Quote from: Brock Lee on November 23, 2012, 01:13:03 PM
Quote from: UH60L on November 23, 2012, 01:08:07 AM
Quote from: Brock Lee on November 20, 2012, 09:07:32 PM
"Dukies" are a sensitive lot.

So are "purists"....

I am neither. Being on the outside looking in, at least the purists are preserving something "real". The original configuration of these cars. Dukies, on average, are trying to preserve a dated TV show with bad writing and mediocre (at best) acting like it is some gleaming symbol of a "right" and "just" world. Never understanding that world is as "real" as Star Trek, or any other work of fiction.

I wouldn't call the DOH a dated show.  I can remember in the 1990's when TNN started airing reruns again.  Many young kids thought it was a new show and not realizing it had been off for over a decade.  Hair styles, clothes, aren't exaclty dated either if you look at seasons 4 on.  As for bad writing, sure a few episodes imo sucked, but what t.v. show doesn't have it's bad eggs?  All in all for what it was I thought the writing was pretty good.  Acting was good IMO, not the Coy and Vance eps though.

Sabre

Quote from: Chris G. on November 22, 2012, 03:51:28 PM
Quote from: BrianShaughnessy on November 22, 2012, 10:03:05 AM
DOH is probably one of the most iconic shows on TV just for the fact that it continues to live on almost 30 year since it went off the air.    Anybody ever heard of a Seinfeld festival yet?  Me neither.   Star Trek yeah OK,  but all those other critics darlings shows just go away after 7 years.

You're not seriously comparing DOH to Seinfeld...are you? If the Seinfeld cast ever did some sort of fan reunion, there would a huge turnout. The DOH will never be remembered for the actual show, it will be remembered for the car.

And John Schneider is making peanuts for these meet and greets...just ask him. Jerry Seinfeld gets $$$ every time his show is on...which is pretty much any time of the day.

The GL is by far the most recognised car in TV history...the show...not so much.

I disagree to an extent, as time passes sure the DOH will fade like alot of other shows of the past.  I do feel many still remember the show as one of the last that was family friendly.

freddyd02

I cant stand this hate for the car. Are you guys that jealous of the attention it gets? Let me ask you "Whats so great about HATING the General Lee"??? I'm in the middle of restoring one. I chose to restore one because i used to watch the show with my dad. My dad and I had are ups and downs but we both liked watching the show for the car. Now all i wanna do is give him a ride in mine before he passes away. Is THAT OK for you guys that HATE the car??? Or should i not make one because you think its stupid?????????

Go kick rocks haters. Seems like you have nothing better to do anyways.  :fu:

I also opted not to make a build thread on this site just because of the sheer hate this car gets on here.

Kern Dog

Freddy, you have a nice ass. I hope your car turns out just as nice.

greenpigs

I still don't understand why people start more of these threads. :shruggy:

All they ever do is get SOME of the member worked up and create bad feelings for one another.

For me the bottom line is building what you want. Like I said before I wanted a 69 Charger because of the show, but a clone wasn't for me.
1969 Charger RT

Living Chevy free

I don't think this thread is full of haters, not nearly as bad as some other threads have been. I also believe there are only a handful of haters that are vocal about their hate for the General Lee. I can totally understand how they get frustrated about the comments and so forth. General Lee's are also mostly stock with bolt on's and can easily be converted back - tubbed, caged, half chassis cars not so easily.

Dino

I didn't know we actually had haters.  Members that have no love for the GL sure, but outright hating it?  That's a bit weird.  I wouldn't want a GL myself but I'm sure other members would not want a white charger either.  Nothing wrong with that.

Freddy for what it's worth I would love to see the build of your car.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

cdr

Quote from: Dino on November 25, 2012, 08:09:40 AM
I didn't know we actually had haters.  Members that have no love for the GL sure, but outright hating it?  That's a bit weird.  I wouldn't want a GL myself but I'm sure other members would not want a white charger either.  Nothing wrong with that.

Freddy for what it's worth I would love to see the build of your car.

:iagree:

Freddy yes would really like to see a thread of your car build,thanx for saving one more charger.
LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr

skip68

X2 Freddy.    :cheers:  

I built mine because it was my dream car and my kids loved it.  My next car will be another 68 Charger but not a GENERAL LEE.  It was fun but I've got a yellow & white combination in my mind.   Plus, all the attention does get old.  I would love to just enjoy my car without having the same conversation with people 10 times a day, all the pictures and distractions.   I'm NOT complaining, I just want less attention when out and about.  I will be prepared for the typical "are you gonna make a general Lee"? comments though.  
Again, not complaining.  It's just sometimes you want to get somewhere or cruise without talking to 10,000 people.   We loved the car, just time for something different.  
skip68, A.K.A. Chuck \ 68 Charger 440 auto\ 67 Camaro RS (no 440)       FRANKS & BEANS !!!

kikgas01

You can`t win. If it is a General, people bitch. If it is green/green like mine, people don`t like it. I don`t care anymore.... I have a double whammy. If it don`t get traded, it will be orange. Shouldn`t bother anyone as it is only a 383 green car with green interior anyway.....

skip68

No kikgas01, your car is gay!  Next comment please.  Moving on...... :nana: :nana:   :icon_smile_big:
skip68, A.K.A. Chuck \ 68 Charger 440 auto\ 67 Camaro RS (no 440)       FRANKS & BEANS !!!

rebby

Quote from: kikgas01 on November 25, 2012, 10:10:28 AM
You can`t win. If it is a General, people bitch. If it is green/green like mine, people don`t like it. I don`t care anymore.... I have a double whammy. If it don`t get traded, it will be orange. Shouldn`t bother anyone as it is only a 383 green car with green interior anyway.....

I'm in the minority as I love the triple green. My GL to be started life as a triple green car. It's nowhere near a triple green car now though, the exterior has had primer sprayed over the factory paint, the interior has been (mostly) converted to black, and the vinyl top was removed. It's actually in a great place to convert to a GL. My other Charger started with a tan interior so I'm just going to do a swap.

As for your car... I'd be hesitant to do a GL conversion on yours. From what I understand, it's a survivor, and in fantastic condition at that. If you do decide to convert it though, have at it, it's your car! Who cares what everybody else thinks?
Curt Rebelein, Junior
1969 Charger R/T SE (500 Stroker/833/D60 w/XP VIN)
1969 Charger (440/727/8.75, GL Project)

JB400

I don't know what the deal is about a triple green car.  Try having one that's gold with a green interior.  :eek2: It's going to be orange when I'm done.

Ghoste

All those in favor of Freddy starting a build thread of his own?   :2thumbs: