News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Anyone into slot car drag racing?

Started by Ghoste, December 05, 2012, 03:19:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ghoste

I have been hearing about it a little more lately for some reason but I've never tried it or even watched it.  Is it a worthwhile thing?

Old Moparz

Bob               

Going Nowhere In A Hurry

41husk

1969 Dodge Charger 500 440/727
1970 Challenger convertible 340/727
1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904
1983 Plymouth Scamp GT 2.2 Auto
1950 Dodge Pilot house pick up

Old Moparz

:D

But it can be fun. Our neighbors kid had a birthday party at a place that has several tracks. They sell cars, parts, make modifications & it can be pricey. My daughter had fun when she was a little younger & I even purchased a small figure eight set to see how much she liked it. She enjoyed it, but moved on so there is no need to add more. I still have the HO scale Aurora/AFX stuff from when I was a kid. Must be 100 feet of track or more, 50 to 60 cars, too.
               Bob               

Going Nowhere In A Hurry

Ghoste

Yeah, I had one of the HO sets myself when I was a kid but its only recently that the drag racing version came into my radar.  It seems like it would be less than thrilling to me.  :shruggy:

Old Moparz

Quote from: Ghoste on December 05, 2012, 03:38:46 PM
Yeah, I had one of the HO sets myself when I was a kid but its only recently that the drag racing version came into my radar.  It seems like it would be less than thrilling to me.  :shruggy:

Funny, the set I bought were several used sets from a kid in school that was tired of them. One set was a drag race set that had 2 dragsters, the starting line section of track & a finish line flag that tilted to the side of the track that won. It worked, but after a few passes it was just as exciting as watching grass grow.  :lol:

I had more fun setting up all kinds of configurations to mix it up. For a while I managed to set up 8 lanes of an oval track, but that got boring, too. I think I'd probably enjoy building realistic scenery now instead of the actual racing, but don't want to devote all that space for it.
               Bob               

Going Nowhere In A Hurry

Aero426

I love slot cars.    I spent hours of my youth (and older) racing.     I could still spend hours if I dared to set up the track in the basement.  

I absolutely do not understand the attraction to slot car drag racing.     Two seconds and you're done?   I am sure some of it is the pleasure of building the cars.  

For some reason, I really like this set.

nvrbdn

back in the 60's and 70's hobby shops and slot car tracks were big. we used to go to the tracks and race all night. we built cars for nascar style racing and drag racing. we would have 20 people show up for a night of drag racing and enter 3 or 4 cars each. so the racing could last a while. now that time has passed, i dont think i could get in to it that deep. im still into the slot car tracks though. :shruggy:
70 Dodge Charger 500
70 Duster (Moulin Rouge)
73 Challenger
50 Dodge Pilot House

69_500

That reminds me of the drag racing R/C cars that I saw at the hobby store the other day. Slot car drag racing wouldn't seem like much fun to me. Then again I have only been motivated enough to set up the actual slow car track I have 3 times in the last 10 years. But when I do set it up, it sure makes for hours of fun. Only thing that is annoying is the 1 to 2 hours it takes to set it all up.

nvrbdn

Quote from: Aero426 on December 05, 2012, 09:17:32 PM
I love slot cars.    I spent hours of my youth (and older) racing.     I could still spend hours if I dared to set up the track in the basement.  

I absolutely do not understand the attraction to slot car drag racing.     Two seconds and you're done?   I am sure some of it is the pleasure of building the cars.  

For some reason, I really like this set.

ive got the carrera evolution set, but havent actually ever set it up yet. plus have picked up a few extra cars to run. maybe one day.
70 Dodge Charger 500
70 Duster (Moulin Rouge)
73 Challenger
50 Dodge Pilot House

Todd Wilson

One winter many many years ago we got into slot car racing.....I had a spare bedroom and we setup a big track with high bank curves and did a lot of racing. I had the Richard Petty set with the Bird and one of his modern cars. Had the Days of Thunder Set and several other cars. Since we were racing in a big high banked oval I did some testing in my spare time and used that sticky gum like stuff you hang posters up on the wall with and scaled out the car. I could put a small glob of that stuff under on the body in certain spots and get the cars to stay on the track in the curves and full throttle. Took a little while before my friends caught on!HAHA!

I got my cars in the room somewhere here...........I'll have to dig em out!

Todd

Ghoste

Yes, I can definitely see the attraction of the closed course sets and might even get one of those myself some day.

nvrbdn

i have a few sets of the old marx sky jump tracks with the open wheel cart cars. those are pretty fun to run also. they take more room to set up like the carrera sets, and the eldon sets.
70 Dodge Charger 500
70 Duster (Moulin Rouge)
73 Challenger
50 Dodge Pilot House