News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

For 73-74 owners - what is this heat shield bolted to the k-frame on my 73?

Started by WH23G3G, November 12, 2012, 08:52:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WH23G3G

I found a heat shield on a 74 Coronet that I had seen before on some 73 Chargers. So I took it off to see if it belongs on my 73 Charger. I saw it listed under the Frame section of the 73 Parts Manual but didn't understand the breakdowns of what engine or what model uses what and how many. I only saw it on the driver's side rear K-frame bushing. It has a cutout for the torsion bar but I don't really see what purpose it serves. Nothing in that area would really be damaged by the heat from the exhaust pipe since it's all metal there. Do they only use these on 318 or 400 2bbls? I have the 400-4 in mine and not sure if it should even be on. I was just curious if anyone knew which models of Chargers should have it and what it was used for.

ODZKing

Here is the pic from the parts book.  They call it "front suspension C member support lower side splash shield. 3642965 -  Listed for 318, 400.   :shruggy:  Only listed for one side.
Huh ... got me ???? I don't remember that on mine  :scratchchin:

WH23G3G

I've got the 73 parts book too. And I could only assume that it's for the 318 Chargers and Chargers with the 400-2BBL with the crossover pipe for the single exhaust system. I'm guessing it would protect the crossmember bushing there from melting from exhaust heat, but I couldn't imagine it getting that hot seeing as how it wouldn't be that close together. I pulled it from a 318 Coronet and tried to install it on mine but it rubs the center link so I just packaged it up and kept it.

Nacho-RT74

Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html