News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

69 Charger--Painting the inside of the passenger cabin/roof interior

Started by Chatt69chgr, November 04, 2012, 07:09:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chatt69chgr

I had my car media blasted and then sprayed with epoxy primer.  It has also been sprayed with urethane primer now.  I was thinking of spraying the inside of the passenger cabin with single stage body color (R6) before I get the outside done in bc/cc.  I know the car was not painted body color on the inside like this from the factory.  But would it be a good idea to do it now as an extra protection step against rust?  Considering what I've spent so far, the cost would be negligible. 

Chargen69

POR15 would be better to stop the rust from coming back, its not like you'll see that body color through the headliner

Charger-Bodie

I usually spray the inside a similar color to the interior that way it blends in better if theres a space or gap anywhere. Or if its an odd color, black blends into the shadows best.
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

JB400

The only part on the inside that wasn't painted on mine was the floor.  All of that was done in body color except parts of the doors, which were painted interior color.  I'd say it's up to you. But, I agree with Daytona, paint it interior color and you don't have to worry about body color peeking out at odd places.

Silver R/T

Quote from: Chargen69 on November 04, 2012, 08:14:34 AM
POR15 would be better to stop the rust from coming back, its not like you'll see that body color through the headliner

actually you can see body color through perforated headliner
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

Chatt69chgr

I'm glad I asked. Had not thought about seeing the red through the perforations in the headliner.   My car is going to be black interior (R6 exterior).  I can see now how it would be a good idea to paint the inside of the cabin black.

twodko

This is the time to do all of these things when your car is apart. I thought I had everything covered when I did my car. My big regret and future big PITA is to pull the seats, console and carpeting back out of the car........AGAIN.......and install Dynamat. I foolishly thought "it doesn't get really hot here in NorCal so why bother". I should have bothered.  :brickwall:
FLY NAVY/Marine Corps or take the bus!

HeavyFuel

Quote from: Chatt69chgr on November 04, 2012, 02:09:01 PM
I'm glad I asked. Had not thought about seeing the red through the perforations in the headliner.   My car is going to be black interior (R6 exterior).  I can see now how it would be a good idea to paint the inside of the cabin black.

I'd go body color and just hit the areas with black that the factory would have.

The factory just did primer, and then hit just the corners of the roof with black.

For example:

Lennard

Quote from: Chatt69chgr on November 04, 2012, 07:09:22 AM
I had my car media blasted and then sprayed with epoxy primer.  It has also been sprayed with urethane primer now.

Quote from: Chargen69 on November 04, 2012, 08:14:34 AM

POR-15 - Paint Over Rust!
Once rust and corrosion starts, it must be properly treated or it will ruin your classic. POR-15 allows you to paint over rust. POR-15 is a high-tech, high performance rust-preventive coating designed for application directly on rusted or seasoned metal surfaces. POR-15 dries to an incredible rock-hard, non-porous finish that won't chip, crack, or peel, and it prevents rust from recurring by protecting metal from further exposure to moisture. POR-15 is great for painting over rusty frames, floor pans, farm equipment, marine equipment, or even a heavily corroded battery tray.