News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Removing the locking ring on an in-tank fuel pump

Started by Paul G, November 12, 2012, 07:54:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paul G

I will be driving my Charger to work this week. Not a bad thing, but I would like to get my truck running again. It is an 05 Ram SRT10. Throwing codes P0442 and P0445. Evap leaks. Tracked it to the evap filter device on top of the fuel tank. I pressurized the tank with air using the discharge from my shop vac, and that filter thing blew bubles from around the base like crazy. Dont look removable. Me and my neighbor both wiggled and fiddled with it. Then it came off the tank. Glued down to the tank it looks like. Glue let go and it started to loose it's seal. Anyway I have to change the tank, $500 tank! Cant seem to get the locking ring on the fuel pump to move. Tried a hammer and big screwdriver in the slots, no go. Is that the only way to remove it? How hard should I be smacking it?

Tank and a vid of the filter thing blowing bubbles, click on it.

1972 Charger Topper Special, 360ci, 46RH OD trans, 8 3/4 sure grip with 3.91 gear, 14.93@92 mph.
1973 Charger Rallye, 4 speed, muscle rat. Whatever engine right now?

Mopars Unlimited of Arizona

http://www.moparsaz.com/#

BrianShaughnessy

I don't have a FSM for a srt10 with me so pardon my inexperience on them..  but there's a couple specialty tools for fuel pump rings out there.   I had to overnight a OEM 25156 ring tool to change out the pump on my 98 GC.... twice  :icon_smile_dissapprove:

My guess is you probably need this http://www.amazon.com/OTC-6599-Universal-Fuel-Sender/dp/B000F5LJ7S/ref=pd_bxgy_hi_text_z

I'm sure if yo shop around there's better prices if that is indeed what you need.   :shruggy:
Black Betty:  1969 Charger R/T - X9 440 six pack, TKO600 5 speed, 3.73 Dana 60.
Sinnamon:  1969 Charger R/T - T5 440, 727, 3.23 8 3/4 high school sweetheart.

69rtse4spd

Local dealer might lone you one, or maybe Auto Zone or Advance might rent one. :shruggy:. Might ask someone at the dealer if the ring has some type of sealent on it also. Could you try & reseal the evap.  :shruggy:.

Chryco Psycho

before I spent $500 I would buy some really good glue , but that is me

Patronus

'73 Cuda 340 5spd RMS
'69 Charger 383 "Luci"
'08 CRF 450r
'12.5 450SX FE

Paul G

I tried to epoxy it back down. After I got my fingers un-stuck I went and bought the new tank with a new fuel pump o-ring. Ended up costing $525 with tax. They gave me a 10% discount for belonging to Mopars Unlimited of AZ. Put a half gallon of gas in and went and filled it up. Put 25.7 gallons in a 26 gallon tank. At least now I know where truely empty is on the gauge lol.
1972 Charger Topper Special, 360ci, 46RH OD trans, 8 3/4 sure grip with 3.91 gear, 14.93@92 mph.

Cooter

Just get ready for those "Evap, Small leak" codes to be back soon. WAY more places to "Leak" than that, but the system only pressurises to about 5 PSI..That shop Vac was prolly more like 25 PSI. These are the most expensive (READ time consuming) codes to repair. After the first $500.00, most Customers simp;ly give up and stop caring bout that light and just get the vehicle scanned eveyr oil change to see if any different codes are in the system.

Good luck.
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

Paul G

Man Cooter, How do they get by emissions testing? From what I have heard if you disconnect battery to clear codes and then go straight to emissions they will turn you away for " too soon to test" or something like that. If you drive long enough to be able to test the CEL comes back on? What do they do?