News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

tic toc tac

Started by cowboy4x4n, November 12, 2012, 02:04:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cowboy4x4n

guys,

i pulled my gauges out to try and get them working.  my tach is what is confusing me.  its held into the back of the panel by three screws. i have an orange wire which works the light.  now the only other connector is a threade stud in the center back.  this was connected to a hot wire that tested hot.  where is the tac to the neg coil hooked to.  I see no other connecting points

JB400

Maybe in the circuit board :shruggy:

cowboy4x4n

yeah theres no circuit board on the tac.  its all self contained. 

Dino

Sounds like a clock and not a tach.  Tach should have 3 or 4 connectors.  Clock only has one.  Ground is the three screws holding it to the frame.

If you actually do have a tach then I'm sorry I can't help you, but others will chime in.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

cowboy4x4n

def a tach there.  surrounding the clock

Carrnutt

Perhaps a pic of the back would help, but should have several connections; light, clock, ign. power and tach signal.

Like in the pic here...

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php?topic=34220.0
1969 Rest-O-Fied Charger 383HP, Disc brake conversion, electronic ignition.
1993 D350 Curmmins
2006 Magnum R/T AWD
2003 Ram 3500 Cummins

Dino

Does it look like this on the back?

Dans 68

If the photo does not help do a search on "tic toc tach". There are dozens of threads out there with lots of information.

Dan
1973 SE 400 727  1 of 19,645                                        1968 383 4bbl 4spds  2 of 259

Dino

cowboy4x4n

lol well throw egg on my face i thought the surrounding numbers were the tac itself.

Dans 68

No Worries...we've all been there.   ;)

Dan
1973 SE 400 727  1 of 19,645                                        1968 383 4bbl 4spds  2 of 259

Dino

Quote from: cowboy4x4n on November 12, 2012, 03:27:44 PM
lol well throw egg on my face i thought the surrounding numbers were the tac itself.

You are not the first my friend.  I've done it myself.   :icon_smile_big:

So now that you know you have a plain clock, all you need to do is hook up the bulb and the hot wire to the center stud.  Ground will be hooked up when it's bolted in place.  If you do want the tach you will need an addtional wiring harness to install it and if you have electronic ignition you definitely want to read up on how to make the tach read correctly.

For the record, those clocks run way off.  After sitting a day or two, mine runs about 10 minutes fast.  If you want it to run correcty you'll need a quartz upgrade.  Around $70 at instrument specialties, also on ebay.

cowboy4x4n

now for sac of asking.  instead of forking out close to 300 for a tic toc.  can i add a tac to the factory console and keep the factory gauges.  make it look clean in the factory dash and plastic.  

cowboy4x4n

yeah the clock i dont really care for i wanted the gauges tach and everything else to work.  my oil and temp gauge dont seem to function.  the alt gauge has been by passed by the previous owner and only the speedo and fuel gauge work.  this is my first tackle with dodge so im scratching my head on how they wired everything

Dino

Quote from: cowboy4x4n on November 12, 2012, 03:31:28 PM
now for sac of asking.  instead of forking out close to 300 for a tic toc.  can i add a tac to the factory console and keep the factory gauges.  make it look clean in the factory dash and plastic.  

Of course, I used to have a tach on the column, very old school.   :icon_smile_big:

You can put a tach wherever you want and keep your stock gauges.  You can also find an aftermarket tach the size of the clock and mount it in the cluster if you wish to do so.  Others have done so before.

cowboy4x4n

thats exactly what im trying to do is put it in the factory cluster where the clock is.  what size would work any suggestions.

Dino

Quote from: cowboy4x4n on November 12, 2012, 03:33:11 PM
yeah the clock i dont really care for i wanted the gauges tach and everything else to work.  my oil and temp gauge dont seem to function.  the alt gauge has been by passed by the previous owner and only the speedo and fuel gauge work.  this is my first tackle with dodge so im scratching my head on how they wired everything

First thing to do is check the circuit board, the pins may be lose or the board itself may be cracked.  Also, replace the voltage limiter with a solid state IVR4 if you can.  $60 shipped and if I wasn't so cheap before, my gauges would not have fried.  You can find the oil and temp gauges from members here or ebay but make sure they work first, they might be okay.  It may also be the sending units by the way.  Oh and never put more than 5 volts to the gauges or they're done for.

I test mine with two AA batteries taped in series to give me 3 volts, that should bring the needle just over half on the gauges.

Quote from: cowboy4x4n on November 12, 2012, 03:36:14 PM
thats exactly what im trying to do is put it in the factory cluster where the clock is.  what size would work any suggestions.

I don't know offhand what the size of the clock or tach is but they are ususally pretty standard sizes.  I'd look up what's out there tach wise that you like and then see if it's available in the size you need.

rebby

IIRC, a 3 3/8" tach will fit in the stock location. There are a few threads here that discussing modifying a factory dash to do this very thing.
Curt Rebelein, Junior
1969 Charger R/T SE (500 Stroker/833/D60 w/XP VIN)
1969 Charger (440/727/8.75, GL Project)

Dino

Quote from: rebby on November 12, 2012, 03:40:59 PM

IIRC, a 3 3/8" tach will fit in the stock location. There are a few threads here that discussing modifying a factory dash to do this very thing.

I think you are correct.

Cowboy, check out the last post : http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,18979.0.html

Is this what you're after?

cowboy4x4n

awsome thanks guys.  i know the oil gauge is bad the needed is flopping around barely hanging on.  temp gauge not sure.  the prongs looked tight.  i tried the h20 sender and no go.  so i think is with the dash or gauge itself

cowboy4x4n

thats exactly what i am after.  thanks for the help

Dino

The needle is an easy fix, you just need to be very careful handling it as it is super fragile.  My temp unit was the one that fried the most as well so it may indeed be done for.  you can use the base of any gauge though to make it work.  I drilled the rivets holding the faceplate on, got another gauge and rivetted the face onto that one.  Works fine.

Quote from: cowboy4x4n on November 12, 2012, 03:47:25 PM
thats exactly what i am after.  thanks for the help

You're welcome

cowboy4x4n

now dino how do i do the battery trick u suggested.  i have the gauges out so id like to test them

Dino

Quote from: cowboy4x4n on November 12, 2012, 03:50:18 PM
now dino how do i do the battery trick u suggested.  i have the gauges out so id like to test them

Take any two 1.5 volt batteries, AA, AAA, D, doesn't matter.  Have one positive end touch the other's negative so they line up and form one long battery, then tape them together so they don't move.  Hook up one wire to the positive end, and one wire to the negative.  Now hook those up to the gauge studs and watch the needle go.  Doesn't mater which wire goes to which stud.

In the back of the gauge housings are two small holes and if you look inside you can see metal teeth.  You can stick a small screwdriver between those teeth and carefully force it one way or another.  This will shift the mechanism inside so you can fine tune the gauges.  This is not an axact science however.  I did my temp gauge like that and it still reads 180 at operating temp.  I think that's a bit low for a 440.

Read this thread: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,37999.0.html

It'll show you a much better way of doing the 3 volt trick but the batteries will work in a pinch.

cowboy4x4n

Dino

moparfan53

Quote from: Dino on November 12, 2012, 03:31:08 PM
Quote from: cowboy4x4n on November 12, 2012, 03:27:44 PM
...For the record, those clocks run way off.  After sitting a day or two, mine runs about 10 minutes fast.  If you want it to run correcty you'll need a quartz upgrade.  Around $70 at instrument specialties, also on ebay.

A few years ago I noticed the owners manual for my 69 Charger had info regarding regulating the clock. I tried it and it did help the accuracy quite a bit. However it was a bit of a pain, I did the adjustment many times over a few weeks (the info indicates it only changes by 20 seconds each time). A friend tried it but did not help on his so I suppose it depends on the condition of your 40+ year old clock. ;D

Here is the info in case anybody wants to try it.  :cheers: