News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Thoughts on "SSnake-Oyl" seatbelt restorations

Started by Charger454, November 06, 2012, 08:40:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Charger454

Years ago I knew them to be the best. Tell me about your experiences please. I intend to send in my belts from my 73 for a quote...unless you scare me.

http://www.ssnake-oyl.com/mm5/merchant.mvc

Thanks
I have no "sense of entitlement". I only deserve what I've got off my ass to earn!

Charger454

Quote from: Brightyellow69rtse on November 06, 2012, 08:51:02 PM
last i checked they were crazy expensive.

Thank you for your input.

Respectfully, and luckily I can say that money is not a concern. I just want it done right due to safety concerns.

Do you have any recommendations?
I have no "sense of entitlement". I only deserve what I've got off my ass to earn!

twodko

FLY NAVY/Marine Corps or take the bus!

NHCharger

Quote from: Charger454 on November 06, 2012, 09:01:24 PM
Quote from: Brightyellow69rtse on November 06, 2012, 08:51:02 PM
last i checked they were crazy expensive.

Thank you for your input.

Respectfully, and luckily I can say that money is not a concern. I just want it done right due to safety concerns.

Do you have any recommendations?

I met a lady at Carlisle that reproduces new seat belt sets for our cars. I think she quoted me $350.00 for a set for my 68 Charger. She's out of Texas, her business card is somewhere in my shop.
72 Charger- Base Model
68 Charger-R/T Clone
69 Charger Daytona clone
79 Lil Red Express - future money pit
88 Ramcharger 4x4- current money pit
55 Dodge Royal 2 door - wife's money pit
2014 RAM 2500HD Diesel

bill440rt

I recently had a set done by a guy named Bill Edwards. New black webbing, sewn on tags, etc. They came out very nice, & quick turnaround. He used to sell a lot of restored sets on Moparts.
His email is beewagon69@yahoo.com

:Twocents:
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

Ghoste

I can only speak from looking at their products as displayed at swap meets, but the Ssnake-Oyl belts looked fantastic.  They are very pricey though so if there are other options out there offering equal quality for less money... :scratchchin:

Charger_Dart

SSnake-Oyl restored the seatbelts in my 68 13 years ago. I sent them the original set out of the car and they were really nasty looking. It was tough to find any chrome left on them because of all the rust.  They had to call me to verify the paint and webbing colors! When they came back they were perfect and looked gorgeous. The chrome plating was perfect. Today they still look great except for a few paint chips on the drivers buckle caused by usage and me.

They are expensive, but the quality is excellent. 
68 Charger R/T & 68 Dart GT Convertible

471_Magnum

I had them do the shoulder belts on my 69.Charger many moons ago. They came out perfect.
"I can fix it... my old man is a television repairman... he's got the ultimate set of tools... I can fix it."

Charger-Bodie

They do awesome work. If money is not an object. Ive Ised a few sets now of the Repop ones from B,E&A and I dont see anything wrong with them either. Not to mention they are less than half the money.
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

DixieRestoParts

Quote from: 1HotDaytona on November 07, 2012, 09:07:54 AM
They do awesome work. If money is not an object. Ive Ised a few sets now of the Repop ones from B,E&A and I dont see anything wrong with them either. Not to mention they are less than half the money.

I've been told the repop's say to use at your own risk as they are not DOT certified. Is that true to your knowledge? Did they come with a disclaimer?

I am having a set done by Bill Edwards and hope to offer his services in the near future through my company, if we can work out the details. In the meantime, I think the quality he offers for the price is outstanding. I'm not sure most people would notice the difference in his belts and SSnake's.

Let us know what you decide and your thought's on the belts you get.

Randy
Dixie Restoration Parts
Ball Ground, Georgia
Phone: (770) 975-9898
Phone Hours: M-F 10am-6pm EST
mail@dixierestorationparts.com
Veteran owned small business

The Best Parts at a Fair Price

Dodge Don

I had my belts restored by SSnake-Oyl . The results were awesome including the white part number labels. Expensive yes but at the time there were no repro belts.

maxwellwedge

Quote from: Dodge Don on November 07, 2012, 12:46:41 PM
I had my belts restored by SSnake-Oyl . The results were awesome including the white part number labels. Expensive yes but at the time there were no repro belts.

I concur - Hard to beat the quality......a must for any OE type resto. Used them a few times. For anything less than an OE resto - a re-pop or nice used set is a good 2nd choice.

bill440rt

Quote from: DixieRestoParts on November 07, 2012, 11:21:14 AM

I've been told the repop's say to use at your own risk as they are not DOT certified. Is that true to your knowledge? Did they come with a disclaimer?

I am having a set done by Bill Edwards and hope to offer his services in the near future through my company, if we can work out the details. In the meantime, I think the quality he offers for the price is outstanding. I'm not sure most people would notice the difference in his belts and SSnake's.

Randy

:iagree:

He did a retractor for me for my '70, a few misc belts I needed for the rear in my '69, & most recently a whole set for my '68.
VERY happy with the quality, price, & turnaround time.
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

tan top

Quote from: maxwellwedge on November 07, 2012, 12:51:12 PM
Quote from: Dodge Don on November 07, 2012, 12:46:41 PM

I concur - Hard to beat the quality......a must for any OE type resto. Used them a few times. For anything less than an OE resto - a re-pop or nice used set is a good 2nd choice.

yep  :yesnod: :iagree:

Quote from: DixieRestoParts on November 07, 2012, 11:21:14 AM

Randy

yeah i've been wondering about that ,  not as if the repop belts have been tested to safty standards
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

odcics2

So if you get in a wreck and get hurt you won't be covered by insurance?   :shruggy:
I've never owned anything but a MoPar. Can you say that?

Charger-Bodie

Are the ssnake oyl ones dot tested and approved??
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .

Ghoste

I don't think so.  They use all of the proper webbing and stitching so I would think they are as safe as the originals but I imagine to get DOT approved would be an expensive undertaking?

tan top

Quote from: 1HotDaytona on November 07, 2012, 09:15:51 PM

Quote from: odcics2 on November 07, 2012, 09:02:15 PM
So if you get in a wreck and get hurt you won't be covered by insurance?   :shruggy:
Quote from: Ghoste on November 08, 2012, 01:10:31 AM
I don't think so.  They use all of the proper webbing and stitching so I would think they are as safe as the originals but I imagine to get DOT approved would be an expensive undertaking?

all good points ,  i'm sure with these repoped belts , there is no problem , & webbing is webbing ,  can't help thinking about  the stitching to the seatbelt Anchor eyes,  also how the buckle would hold up under a real  impact situation , with a 200 pound driver being flung against it , i'm thinking about getting a modern , aftermarket inertia belt set up ,
this one , maybe  :scratchchin:

https://www.yearone.com/Product/1966-74-a-b-e-body/mn727blku

but have these been tested in a real life crash situation  :shruggy:
not  trying to  :stirthepot: anything about these products , but any OEM belt that has been fitted to a car in production has has the belts tested in real life , situations
& worst case scenarios .
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

DixieRestoParts

Quote from: tan top on November 08, 2012, 07:34:17 AM
Quote from: 1HotDaytona on November 07, 2012, 09:15:51 PM

Quote from: odcics2 on November 07, 2012, 09:02:15 PM
So if you get in a wreck and get hurt you won't be covered by insurance?   :shruggy:
Quote from: Ghoste on November 08, 2012, 01:10:31 AM
I don't think so.  They use all of the proper webbing and stitching so I would think they are as safe as the originals but I imagine to get DOT approved would be an expensive undertaking?

all good points ,  i'm sure with these repoped belts , there is no problem , & webbing is webbing ,  can't help thinking about  the stitching to the seatbelt Anchor eyes,  also how the buckle would hold up under a real  impact situation , with a 200 pound driver being flung against it , i'm thinking about getting a modern , aftermarket inertia belt set up ,
this one , maybe  :scratchchin:
https://yearone.com/Product/DisplayProduct/306330
  but have these been tested in a real life crash situation  :shruggy:
not  trying to  :stirthepot: anything about these products , but any OEM belt that has been fitted to a car in production has has the belts tested in real life , situations
& worst case scenarios .

I was told the repops are only 1500 psi tensile strength and the 69 and older originals are 5000 psi. I think I remember those numbers correctly.  :scratchchin: Not sure how either of those equate to forces encountered in a 30, 50, 60 mph collision. Not sure what the human body can withstand before they cut through either. I suppose if you're driving the car on a regular basis then it's something to seriously consider. If it's a show car, then maybe it's not that important. What level of risk are you willing to assume? It's a personal choice.

Dixie Restoration Parts
Ball Ground, Georgia

maxwellwedge

Only a few short years before this, seat belts were an option......and not many people bothered wearing them back then anyway! Even me.....I didn't bother until the seat belt laws came in.....and only because I didn't want the ticket....LOl. Now - I have been programmed to buckle-up as soon as I get in a car.

Almost nobody ever bothered with the shoulder belt.....still don't.... Somehow the elastics got wrecked anyway!  :lol:

Ghoste

Get hit in one of these cars hard enough to pop 1500 lbs and you were likely getting killed anyway, no?

Charger-Bodie

I called Mike at B,E&a yesterday. He told me that he has no idea where the 1500 number came from. The info I got was that the webbing will take close to 10k lbs. And that everything else is made the same way as original as far as hardness of the steel etc. With that said I can't see where they would be a weak link.

maxwellwedge

DixieRestoParts

Quote from: 1HotDaytona on November 09, 2012, 07:50:46 AM
I called Mike at B,E&a yesterday. He told me that he has no idea where the 1500 number came from. The info I got was that the webbing will take close to 10k lbs. And that everything else is made the same way as original as far as hardness of the steel etc. With that said I can't see where they would be a weak link.

I was told they come with a disclaimer to use at your own risk? Is that true? It would sure make a difference in deciding to use them.
Dixie Restoration Parts
Ball Ground, Georgia