News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Viper V10 or 57' 392 Hemi in a 68 Charger

Started by hollywood1336, November 12, 2012, 11:05:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hollywood1336

Just looking for an opinion here. I have a 68 318 Charger I am going to do an engine swap on, I just purchased a 2001 Gen2 Viper V10 motor with 6 speed transmission for the swap. I am also building a 1939 Plymouth P7 Road King Coupe which I put a 57' 392 Hemi in, freshly rebuilt and never started, yet. The Plymouth project required a new frame as the one the previous owner had built was a rolling death trap. The Viper motor will take some effort to get into the Charger because of the oil pan configuration, engine will have to be placed back into the firewall. The Gen2 Viper motors have the oil pick-up for the oil pump as an integral part of the oil pan, it is a cast channel at the front of the oil pan where the oil pump runs directly off the crank, so replacing the pan with something different would be a big effort.
A friend of mine mentioned putting the 392 Hemi in the Charger and the V10 in the Plymouth, I've done the measurements and the V10 will fit straight in with very minor mods and as the car is still in the construction stage would be easy. The Hemi will go straight into the Charger with very minor mods to the shock tower sheetmetal.
Another friend said you never put an earlier motor in a car so putting the Hemi in the Charger is not a good idea. What's the general opinion out there, would it be cool to see an old Hemi in a Charger or should I continue with the V10 install.
Any and all opinions will be welcome, good or bad,Thanks for your help.

JB400

There are a few guys on here that are/did put the viper engine in their Charger.  Some are using custom k members and I think one guy was looking at using the stock one. Some hack the firewall and others just move the radiator.  I guess it comes down to what weight distribution you want.

As far as sticking a 1st gen hemi in one, it can be done, just haven't seen too many do it.  I for one enjoy seeing them in the rods more better.  It just fits in the era of hot rodding more than a v10.  I've heard of a few viper powered hot rods, but I think they are more for those that just like to burn off the rear tires.

My  :Twocents: leave the 392 in the rod, it's already in there.  But, sticking a v10 in the charger would be a big task, but it can be done, just a lot of fab work.  How about selling the v10 and buying a newer 392 for it instead?

PA Dodger

'69 Charger / '69 Dart convertible/ '74 Cuda

hollywood1336

I was actually looking at a newer 392 motor for the Charger. The Viper motor only has 7400 original miles and I got it for 7k, killer deal. The cheapest I saw the new 392 for was 9k, without tranny and had 35k on it. The miles wasn't the issue but the cost was a little pricey. Believe it or not, even though I have both projects going on I do have a budget, and a very understanding wife. The newer 392 would definitely be easier to put in though.

JB400

Glad you are exploring all your options :2thumbs:  I'm not saying do one or the other, but I'd be the one with the newer 392 in the charger.  Have you read about the new crate 392 hemi engine.  It is priced about in the same territory and comes with a warranty from Chrysler.  I'll find the thread

Here it is:  http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,96341.0.html

Just another option

randy73

Quote from: hollywood1336 on November 12, 2012, 11:05:53 AM
Just looking for an opinion here. I have a 68 318 Charger I am going to do an engine swap on, I just purchased a 2001 Gen2 Viper V10 motor with 6 speed transmission for the swap. I am also building a 1939 Plymouth P7 Road King Coupe which I put a 57' 392 Hemi in, freshly rebuilt and never started, yet. The Plymouth project required a new frame as the one the previous owner had built was a rolling death trap. The Viper motor will take some effort to get into the Charger because of the oil pan configuration, engine will have to be placed back into the firewall. The Gen2 Viper motors have the oil pick-up for the oil pump as an integral part of the oil pan, it is a cast channel at the front of the oil pan where the oil pump runs directly off the crank, so replacing the pan with something different would be a big effort.
A friend of mine mentioned putting the 392 Hemi in the Charger and the V10 in the Plymouth, I've done the measurements and the V10 will fit straight in with very minor mods and as the car is still in the construction stage would be easy. The Hemi will go straight into the Charger with very minor mods to the shock tower sheetmetal.
Another friend said you never put an earlier motor in a car so putting the Hemi in the Charger is not a good idea. What's the general opinion out there, would it be cool to see an old Hemi in a Charger or should I continue with the V10 install.
Any and all opinions will be welcome, good or bad,Thanks for your help.

when I was 18, I tried to put a 392 into a 74 Duster, it fit width wise, but I need a very shallow oil pan and it sat with no arb about level with top of the hood. Gave up on that and put a 68 440 out of a New Yorker into it. Man I wish I had that 392 now, it cost me $200 out of 57 Dodge, I still remember the Red Ram valve covers. I think a Y block could fit, but you would need a shallow oil pan and mod your K frame.

Rolling_Thunder

I see 392 Hemi engines Gen III for about $6500
1968 Dodge Charger - 6.1L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.55 Sure Grip

2013 Dodge Challenger R/T - 5.7L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.73 Limited Slip

1964 Dodge Polara 500 - 440 / 4-speed / 3.91 Sure Grip

1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye - 340 / A-518 / 3.23 Sure Grip

Mopar Nut

Quote from: Rolling_Thunder on November 12, 2012, 11:06:05 PM
I see 392 Hemi engines Gen III for about $6500

:iagree:
"Dear God, my prayer for 2024 is a fat bank account and a thin body. Please don't mix these up like you did the last ten years."

Chryco Psycho

Neither will be an easy swap , fitting an early hemi is tough , they are too wide , interfere with brakes & steering on the left side & you need to have headers built .
Fitting the viper may be easier or may not , other have done this swap & it requires a lot of reworking of the floor &  firewall .