News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Windshield installer no house calls

Started by HeavyFuel, October 03, 2012, 03:58:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Indygenerallee

Sold my Charger unfortunately....never got it finished.

HeavyFuel

Quote from: bull on October 06, 2012, 02:15:16 PM
Don't many of these glass guys have mobile service?

Yesterday I checked with another glass outfit in town, and they said he said they could probably get to me in a few months, when things slow down for them.

Plus a $50/ hour charge for the house call, on top of the regular charge. :-\ 

bakerhillpins

One great wife (Life is good)
14 RAM 1500 5.7 Hemi Crew Cab (crap hauler)
69 Dodge Charger R/T, Q5, C6X, V1X, V88  (Life is WAY better)
96' VFR750 (Sweet)
Capt. Lyme Vol. Fire

"Inspiration is for amateurs - the rest of us just show up and get to work." -Chuck Close
"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." -Albert Einstein
Go that way, really fast. If something gets in your way, turn.
Science flies you to the moon, Religion flies you into buildings.

Indygenerallee

Butyl will shrink over time and can have adhesion problems down the road. Dow U-418 is the best stuff to use as it is a primerless adhesive for the glass to be able to bond with the rubber seal properly.

IMAG0578 by indygenerallee1, on Flickr

bakerhillpins

One great wife (Life is good)
14 RAM 1500 5.7 Hemi Crew Cab (crap hauler)
69 Dodge Charger R/T, Q5, C6X, V1X, V88  (Life is WAY better)
96' VFR750 (Sweet)
Capt. Lyme Vol. Fire

"Inspiration is for amateurs - the rest of us just show up and get to work." -Chuck Close
"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." -Albert Einstein
Go that way, really fast. If something gets in your way, turn.
Science flies you to the moon, Religion flies you into buildings.

HeavyFuel

So I call Auto City Classics (ACC) to ask about their windshields, and they carry two brands.....PPG and PMK

PMK ? ....no google hits on that...had him repeat it like three times, the guy must think I'm re-re.   :coocoo:

Anyway...I want Pilkington. 

He says, "Do they make the glass themselves, because they buy alot of windsheilds from other places." 

I ask him if Pilkington puts their logo on it after they buy from another manufacturer.  I get silence on the line.

He says that ACC only stocks glass that meets OEM specs and that I shouldn't be concerned about thickness.   Well, that's great....but I'm still concerned.

Or should I be?  Is it worth the hassle I'm going through for a Pilkington, or is PPG just fine?   My local glass shop can get me a Pilk Classic for about $325 delivered (not installed). :scratchchin:

moparstuart

The OEM glass in the car would have been PPG but who knows if the thickness is still the same on stuff they are making today ?  you will just have to get one and measure it  .
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

HeavyFuel

Quote from: moparstuart on October 09, 2012, 11:51:59 AM
The OEM glass in the car would have been PPG but who knows if the thickness is still the same on stuff they are making today ?  you will just have to get one and measure it  .

It's a fact that the PPGs of today are thinner than OEM of yesteryear.

The comparison has already been done by Just 6T9.  It came out to .191 inches vs .201.......1/100 of an inch.

I'm just getting wrapped up on some posts were a few guys got leakage through the seals, and glass thickness was suspect.  Maybe it had more to do with not having sealant in the groove where the glass lives.

bill440rt

Huh.
1/100th of an inch is not very much. From what I had seen, some of the current PPG's were much thinner than that.
I can attest the Pilkington I put in was thick like the original, but that was a few years back now & anything could have changed.

Have you researched AMD's prices??
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

HeavyFuel

You're right, 1/100th is a tiny amount...I wouldn't be worried about that little bit.......Chris did that measurement a while ago.

I couple weeks ago I looked at AMD....I think they are the most expensive place out there.

Glass =         $250
shipping =     $125
box charge =   $30

That's over $400 bucks from AMD......no thanks.

Sorry about the  :horse:

I read a few of the horror stories out there concerning hiring out the install.  Definitely made up my mind about doing it myself.

oldgold69

there was a liquid butyl that we used to put between the glass and the rubber to seal the glass very seldomn leaked     that is different from the ribbon butyl that holds the backglass in   ive never used the urethane they make now  the original urethane  [1970s] was to stiff the glass would lift  off the seal  and leak   had a new 74 caprice come in with the glass 3 inches from the top lip  slipped right off the seal  im sure they improved it since then  it is probably the answer for the backglass now  wont settle

HeavyFuel

Pulled the trigger on the Pilk tinted with blue shade...about $325 from Pilkington Classics.  Got the phone # right off the public website.  It should arrive at my local glass shop this week.

The back glass cleaned up nice.  I couldn't obtain any glass dam at 5/16 thick without getting a whole box, so I picked up some 3/8 x 3/8 black automotive dense foam weatherstriping (self stick on one side).  The weight of the back glass will compress it a bit, so it should work OK.  (EDIT----5/16 is too thick!) http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95015.0.html

I'm using the Dow U418 HV (high viscocity) urethane; that should also help to hold the back glass at the correct height of 5/16.  (EDIT----5/16 is too thick!)

The FSM specs a rubber block spacer to hold the rear glass correctly in the opening.....I'm finding that it is too small, and the glass/pinchweld overlap at the roofline is too narrow.  There is supporting evidence of this in the fact that the factory sealant had 'leaked' into the car in places, which I noticed during cleanup/prep of the rear glass.  A bigger rubber spacer will be used to center the glass better in the opening.

If everything comes together, I'll be putting both glass in on Friday....I'll take lots of pics.

HeavyFuel

Just got a call from the local glass guy....they got the Pilk delivered today.  

The shipping cost was $110 because it got sent in a super duper wood crate.  The guys at the shop were pretty impressed, since other glass gets shipped to them in a cardboard box for $40.

Also, he located 8mm (5/16") and 6mm foam dam sold by the foot ($.48) by his supplier.   I'm gonna get 15' of each size, 'cause it's cheap, and probably will use the 8mm.  I'll compare the compression of the 8mm foam to the 3/8" automotive foam that I picked up to see which one holds true to the thickness I need for the glass trim to fit correctly.

Good plan.....I'll probably dork it up anyway. :lol:

Indygenerallee

Pilkington glass is nice!! you won't be dissapointed!!

UH60L

I got all 8 pieces of glass for my '69 as set for $1200.00 from the paddock when they were still around.  (which means it was probably marked up a few bucks from whoever they got it from....)

I'm curious how this all works out as I still need to isntall all of my glass and have never done a windshield (or rear window).  I'm pretty mechanical, and can do most of my own work if I have to, but doing it that first time....well, you don't want to mess up a windshield or scratch that paint......

Good info on that Dow sealant, might go get some of that.

HeavyFuel

Quote from: UH60L on November 01, 2012, 09:47:43 PM
I got all 8 pieces of glass for my '69 as set for $1200.00 from the paddock when they were still around.  (which means it was probably marked up a few bucks from whoever they got it from....)

I'm curious how this all works out as I still need to isntall all of my glass and have never done a windshield (or rear window).  I'm pretty mechanical, and can do most of my own work if I have to, but doing it that first time....well, you don't want to mess up a windshield or scratch that paint......

Good info on that Dow sealant, might go get some of that.

I used the Dow 418 HV for the back glass, where glass adheres to metal (painted).

I'm not sold on using it up front for the rubber to glass application.  I did a test on the back side of the rubber gasket, and the Dow popped right off when touched the next day.  I'll probably use the 3M bedding and glazing gooy crap, the same stuff that is used between the windshield gasket and channel.