News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

This might be the one...

Started by charlie45, November 01, 2012, 03:47:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

charlie45

After long searching I think I may have found a nice 1968 Charger for me... :2thumbs:

I had a guy who owns a mopar shop evaluate the pictures and he said everything looked pretty decent. Nonetheless, I would love to have a second opinion and hear what you guys think based on the pictures. Everything look okay? Any red flags?

You guys have been very helpful in the past and I appreciate your help!  :cheers:

http://s1272.beta.photobucket.com/user/Charlief-c/media/DSC09342.jpg.html?sort=3&o=0#/user/Charlief-c/media/DSC09342.jpg.html?sort=3&o=0&_suid=135180227394900028170729388531934 

JB400

I don't know,  Fred sees this one and he'll probably want it. :nana:  Car looks great.  Of course, that does depend on how much mud it has under the paint.   It does have some rust issues that need to be taken care of, but no big deal. Hope it turns out alright, and hope you get it :2thumbs:  Good luck :2thumbs:

Dino

Crooked stripe and '69/'70 doors...I've seen this car before...

Anyway, it's a modern day resto meaning that it got fresh paint, lots of armorall inside and total neglect towards anything else.  I love to see shiny Chargers with rusty gauges.   ::)

So is it numbers matching?  What's the asking price?
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

tan top

cant see the pictures  :shruggy:  

**** edit  can now *********
:popcrn:

see a few iffy areas
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

1974dodgecharger

alot of cars that dont sell get recycled around alot and especially the cars that get the so called 'resto' where the owner paints the car from maaco and makes it look nice in the pictures and and sell its 15k over the actual value price.

Quote from: Dino on November 01, 2012, 04:07:20 PM

Anyway, it's a modern day resto meaning that it got fresh paint, lots of armorall inside and total neglect towards anything else.  I love to see shiny Chargers with rusty gauges.   ::)

UH60L

I guess to an extent, I'm still a newbie, but, what is the difference between '68 and '69 doors?  I thought they were the same.....

bakerhillpins

In 68 the door lock pull is located back near the latch side of the door. In 69/70 the pull moved forward about 6-8 inches so that it now rests near the drivers shoulder.

There are several theories out there as to why it was moved forward.
One great wife (Life is good)
14 RAM 1500 5.7 Hemi Crew Cab (crap hauler)
69 Dodge Charger R/T, Q5, C6X, V1X, V88  (Life is WAY better)
96' VFR750 (Sweet)
Capt. Lyme Vol. Fire

"Inspiration is for amateurs - the rest of us just show up and get to work." -Chuck Close
"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." -Albert Einstein
Go that way, really fast. If something gets in your way, turn.
Science flies you to the moon, Religion flies you into buildings.

charlie45

Wow, that kind of burst my bubble... :'(

Really "total neglect towards anything else"???

I know its not as nice as many of the cars that some of the forum members have on here. But I thought it would be a good basis for me. It is not a matching numbers vehicle, but it is an RT car. Plus, I don't need a matching numbers car, I would like to do a number of mods to make the car a street performer (Hotchkis TVS, Big Brakes, engine mods, etc.). That would just be a shame to do to a matching numbers vehicle...?

Another advantage is that the car is already in Europe meaning that I don't have to deal with all the customs/duties in Germany .That makes a big difference, we have to pay around 30% of the US purchase price over here for that.

The car is around 30.000 EUR. We'll see if I end up getting it... 

JB400

I agree with you.  If you want it and have the change, by all means go get it. :2thumbs:  I understand what you mean about customs, I have yet to meet someone that enjoys doing paperwork. :eek2:

1974dodgecharger

get it..... :2thumbs:

Quote from: charlie45 on November 02, 2012, 03:38:53 AM

I know its not as nice as many of the cars that some of the forum members have on here. But I thought it would be a good basis for me. It is not a matching numbers vehicle, but it is an RT car. Plus, I don't need a matching numbers car, I would like to do a number of mods to make the car a street performer (Hotchkis TVS, Big Brakes, engine mods, etc.). That would just be a shame to do to a matching numbers vehicle...?

Another advantage is that the car is already in Europe meaning that I don't have to deal with all the customs/duties in Germany .That makes a big difference, we have to pay around 30% of the US purchase price over here for that.

Bob T

Well, does'nt raise any major red flags with me, its good that your friend that owns a workshop and works on these type of cars has had a look over it and says its decent, take your time going over it and get it up on a hoist if you can and take it for a good drive.

It is a 44 year old car so it will have some issues somewhere, it could well be an honest enough car for the money and as you say it is local( ish ) to you so that beats the hassles of checking/buying/transportation/importation/customs , believe me - that eats up a lot of coin  :icon_smile_big:

Good luck with the hunt on the 68  :cheers:
Old Dog, Old Tricks.

Dino

Sorry, didn't mean to burst your bubble.  It's not a basket case of a car, it's a good solid project I'm sure but it's that same typical 'give it a paint jpob and clean the seats and carpet a bit' sales attitude that gets to me.  It costs $50 and a Saturday afternoon to redo those gauges so why people don't do things like that is a mystery to me.  Why the stripe isn't even a little bit straighter is a total mind boggler but that's easily fixed.

Germany, that's why I've seen it.  It's in the Netherlands isn't it?  I don't know how much they usually go for over there but I guess if you'd find the same here and then do the whole shipping/taxes, you'd be out of that amount as well.  Not to mention the convenience of going to look it over yourself and being able to drive it home.  (a stop at a reputable LPG installer may be a good idea though  :icon_smile_big:  ) 

I'd still go over it with a fine tooth comb just in case something's out of whack.

Cooter

Gotta reallize Charlie ANYTHING that gets posted here for sale gets ripped apart by people who many don't even own a Charger, yet are all to glad to rip on someone else's car posted for sale. I mean Really?, a 1968 Charger R/T that has a $75K resto done on it gets posted here for sale and everybody says seller is "Crazy if he thinks he'll get that much", even though the damn thing looks flawless, and is clearly worth it. Yet, a typical and CHEAPER "Resto" being offered up for sale @$15K needing a few things gets crucified....But post up a rust bucket and it doens't even get a hint of interest....It's a typical fact of life.
I don't like it any better than you. It would appear that  when others are selling, they tend to pound on the negative only. If you want that 68, then by all means get it, but if you are hoping for some positive encouragement about a car you posted here that's being sold, better have on your protective Skin....Just FYI.
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

Dino

Cooter if you're implying me, which is fine, let me be clear.  I don't want to rip cars apart or burst peoples bubble but you know as well as I do that people get ripped off with these so called restored cars all the time.  I'm just trying to help people, as do most people here.  We do not comment on what's good, we can all see the good, but us Charger owners know what to look for that is not so good.  That's what I'm trying to do.  Maybe it doesn't come over that way and maybe my words are stout and harsh, if so I apologize.  I'm just trying to prevent anyone from falling into a hlpaq trap, that's all.

If we all went oh wow awesome car, I'm sure it's great and the guy buys it and it turns out to be a turd then what good have we done?  Yes I focus on the hidden stuff, on the bad and the negative because that's how I find it.  when I have my rosy shades on, all I see is a wild car and when putting down that amount of coin you need to leave your emotions at home.

Charlie, I apologize if I offended you, I'm only trying to help.

1974dodgecharger

Well you have to understand where cooter is coming from he is currently a seller right now so he wants the highest price possible from a buyer who is willing to buy it.  He bought it high and now wants to unload......

Cooter you know darn well we rip sellers becuase those sellers are the folks who try to rip the buyer. NOthing is fair in this world YES we are adults and we know this, but to not fair and then get a anal ripping after purchasing something hurts even more.  Alot of forum members on this board have high knowledge of the chargers hence thats why folks come on here to ask for a good asking price.  One person might know the engine really well, another might know the body well, and another guy might know the electric well to give feedback.  So to assume we rip on someone is well disrespectful to other forum members since each has their expertise on the charger itself.

We were not ripping his decision to buy the car at all the folks gave him a honest opinion on it he can take it or leave it and/or buy the car. 

Usually your posts are honest and non attacking to members, but in this case you went too far  :flame:

I can understand why your going to far since you yourself is trying to selling your charger also  ::)

Alot of forum members have helped each other purchase cars that were 'fair' and 'honest' and thats the purpose of this forum to help each other not attack.

Quote from: Dino on November 02, 2012, 06:58:24 AM
Cooter if you're implying me, which is fine, let me be clear.  I don't want to rip cars apart or burst peoples bubble but you know as well as I do that people get ripped off with these so called restored cars all the time.  I'm just trying to help people, as do most people here.  We do not comment on what's good, we can all see the good, but us Charger owners know what to look for that is not so good.  That's what I'm trying to do.  Maybe it doesn't come over that way and maybe my words are stout and harsh, if so I apologize.  I'm just trying to prevent anyone from falling into a hlpaq trap, that's all.

If we all went oh wow awesome car, I'm sure it's great and the guy buys it and it turns out to be a turd then what good have we done?  Yes I focus on the hidden stuff, on the bad and the negative because that's how I find it.  when I have my rosy shades on, all I see is a wild car and when putting down that amount of coin you need to leave your emotions at home.

bakerhillpins

Quote from: Cooter on November 02, 2012, 06:47:03 AM
Gotta reallize Charlie ANYTHING that gets posted here for sale gets ripped apart by people who many don't even own a Charger, yet are all to glad to rip on someone else's car posted for sale. I mean Really?, a 1968 Charger R/T that has a $75K resto done on it gets posted here for sale and everybody says seller is "Crazy if he thinks he'll get that much", even though the damn thing looks flawless, and is clearly worth it. Yet, a typical and CHEAPER "Resto" being offered up for sale @$15K needing a few things gets crucified....But post up a rust bucket and it doens't even get a hint of interest....It's a typical fact of life.
I don't like it any better than you. It would appear that  when others are selling, they tend to pound on the negative only. If you want that 68, then by all means get it, but if you are hoping for some positive encouragement about a car you posted here that's being sold, better have on your protective Skin....Just FYI.

I took advantage of the knowledge and experience of this board when I was looking for my Charger as I had been on the receiving end of a bad deal when I was younger. I have no one to blame but myself in that situation, live and learn.  But as a counter point to yours Cooter, your remarks were exactly why I posted and asked for others opinions. I was really good at seeing the beauty of a Charger, I needed the help to see the ugly duckling lurking beneath. I used that information to try to get into the best situation that I could. In the end I think I did just fine.  :cheers:

Quote from: Dino on November 02, 2012, 06:58:24 AM

Dino, as I mentioned above, your feedback was exactly what I was looking for. I don't think you stepped out of line or hurt anyone. I think that you actually did a favor to the prospective buyer. You sorta brought him back to an objective point of view rather than a subjective one. Trust me, I get lost in the wow factor looking at these cars all the time and it's nice to have someone else there to provide a dose of reality and real you back. The folks that helped me did it quite often and I owe them a debt of gratitude.   :2thumbs:

96' VFR750 (Sweet)
Capt. Lyme Vol. Fire

"Inspiration is for amateurs - the rest of us just show up and get to work." -Chuck Close
"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." -Albert Einstein

Dino

Thanks guys, I was starting to doubt myself here.

kikgas01

The car sure looks like a solid one to me. Gauges, meh, big deal. Shit, usually half to all of them don`t work anyway as well as dash lights. The doors bug me a little. Hell, paint it ORANGE AND THROW A FLAG ON IT and watch the bashing begin!!!!! It is nice being a 4-speed. Was it always a 4 speed car? If so, that is neat...(I was joking about the orange paint lol)

bakerhillpins

Quote from: kikgas01 on November 02, 2012, 08:10:55 AM
The car sure looks like a solid one to me. Gauges, meh, big deal. Shit, usually half to all of them don`t work anyway as well as dash lights. The doors bug me a little. Hell, paint it ORANGE AND THROW A FLAG ON IT and watch the bashing begin!!!!! It is nice being a 4-speed. Was it always a 4 speed car? If so, that is neat...(I was joking about the orange paint lol)

The tag posted with the photos says it was a 4spd car. (if it goes with the car that is)

96' VFR750 (Sweet)
Capt. Lyme Vol. Fire

chargd72

Looks to be a responsible and honest seller.  He took pictures of every area of the car even if it wasn't in the best condition.  Most people will try to hide stuff like that then when you get there and point it out to them they say "Oh, I never saw that before."  Yeah, right.  Awesome car.  Get it.  Drive it.  Fix things when you can.

'72 Charger SE 4bbl 318                          '76 Power Wagon 400 W200                                 2011 (attempt at a) Charger

PocketThunder

"Liberalism is a disease that attacks one's ability to understand logic. Extreme manifestations include the willingness to continue down a path of self destruction, based solely on a delusional belief in a failed ideology."

1974dodgecharger

Quote from: Dino on November 02, 2012, 07:53:53 AM
Thanks guys, I was starting to doubt myself here.

never doubt yourself.....even if emotions are involved in a car purchase...  :2thumbs:

Cooter

Quote from: 1974dodgecharger on November 02, 2012, 07:07:19 AM
Well you have to understand where cooter is coming from he is currently a seller right now so he wants the highest price possible from a buyer who is willing to buy it.  He bought it high and now wants to unload......Obviously, you haven't done your homework on this one as I BUILT MY OWN car. Was looking to sell, but decided too many are like the post above when it comes time to sell. We have this same problem on another board and folks don't think much of it there either. It offends ME. My opinion is, who made you or anybody else the authority on policing people and their bad decisions?? Nobody, so if you throw out constant complaints about every car posted here for sale sooner or later, people are gonna get tired of it. Most times, your posts are generally fair and honest, but this time you went too far :flame:

Cooter you know darn well we rip sellers becuase those sellers are the folks who try to rip the buyer. Again, who made you or anybody else the police of people and their bad/good decisions? Yes, While Charlie DID ask for opinions, I was replying to his lack of knowledge about forums, concerning the REASON BEHIND GETTING THE REMARKS HE GOT, and my reply was NOT directed at YOU or anybody else here. I have a forum member I'm asking for help on right now that I trust through PM's, as I know as soon as it's postewd out in the open, I will recieve Any and all replies. Some might be bullsh*t, some might be gospel, but I r\prefer to cut through all that bullsh*t and pick One person to listen to...This isn't the case on forums when asking for opinions on Chargers for sale and I was offering a reason why he got the replies he did. The fact that you took offense to it is your problem not mine. I won't even mention the fact that IMO, Almost EVERY single post I seem to see from you regarding carsfor sale is they are ALL over priced junk...AGAIN, my OPINON, don't like it/Don't care/don't Read it.. I NEVER post on ANY car that is offered here for sale. Seller can ask Whatever the hell he/she wants, doesn't mean they are gonna get it. It isn't MY place or anyone elses to police the "idiots" that get in over their heads and "Impulse buy". That is what is wrong today. Too many relaying on others to "Help keep them from getting fu*ked" when that is YOUR OWN resposibility. No one else's...F*cking look at the car in person, or YOU WILL GET SCREWED..Simple concept, yet so many don't get it??
We were not ripping his decision to buy the car at all the folks gave him a honest opinion on it he can take it or leave it and/or buy the car. Obviously, Charlie didn't like it any better than I did. Honest opinion would have been way different and you know it. Nah, not buying it, people here like to rip apart cars simply to show their knowledge/lack of. Like the seller is on here reading every post or something. I think if people would reply to for sale Charger's as if a member was standing toe to toe with them when they said theier negative comments, then we wouldn't be having this "talk" about this. There's "Honest opinions" then there's the What I refer to as "Ripping apart" cars.It's obvious you don't know the difference.

Usually your posts are honest and non attacking to members, but in this case you went too far  :flame: Not at all...Wasn't "Attacking" any members, YOU ASSUMED I was when all I was doing was explaining WHY Charlie got the replies he got. Kind of an A&B Conversation, so....

I can understand why your going to far since you yourself is trying to selling your charger also  ::)Wrong, decided when the time comes to where no more are left, then I'll sell mine. Right now, it would seem there are an over abundance of them to where people can pick and chose, yet complain about none being left??Funny how that works.

" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

NHCharger

It looks like a pretty nice car to me but I'm one of those people that won't buy a car with out looking at it myself. That way I have no one to blame but myself. If you can't look at it can you find an independent party to check it out?
72 Charger- Base Model
68 Charger-R/T Clone
69 Charger Daytona clone
79 Lil Red Express - future money pit
88 Ramcharger 4x4- current money pit
55 Dodge Royal 2 door - wife's money pit
2014 RAM 2500HD Diesel

JB400

I can't decide on whether to comment or  :popcrn:

Either way, this is post 2000, I might as well post something pretty to look at.  

The only thing I can say is, it ain't right to start singleing out one another.  All that does is boil blood.  Someone wants an opinion on a car, he got one.  I do hope he ends up getting it. :2thumbs:  But, I see no need in calling each other out on their opinion. :Twocents: