News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Just wondering what's a realistic price for my '71? (pics)

Started by JPL, October 31, 2012, 07:30:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JPL

I don't think I'm selling it, just wondering what it would bring, oh, and I already know it will bring in whatever someone is willing to pay  :smilielol:
It is a 1971 Dodge Charger SE.

Original big block car, a/c, leather bucket seats, 150 mph speedometer, slap stick auto transmission, disc brakes,  black vinyl roof, hide-a-way lights, Magnum 500 wheels, Gun Metal blue exterior/interior.
Bought from original owner in 1985.
Original drivetrain was 383 2brl, a/c, 3 speed auto w/ 81/4 rear & 2.73 gears.

Currently the drivetrain is a 1971 440, 30 over, six pack rods, virgin 906 heads, 268/454 lift cam, Torker II polished manifold with a Painted Holley 750 metering block vacuum secondary auto choke & chrome bowls, Weiand air cleaner, MP electronic ignition, Accel coil, Taylor Wires, chrome Moroso valve covers, Hooker headers into a stainless steel exhaust w/ polished Supertrapp mufflers. Polished stainless steel firewall, lots of chrome, i.e. hood hinges, brackets, alternator ect, & stainless steel hoses. Custom polished brass radiator cover. A TCI 3 speed street fighter transmission, GER 2800 stall converter, Cheetah reverse valve body, aluminum deep cooling oil pan. Front disc brakes, heavy duty sway bar with polished stainless steel brackets, KYB front shocks original 1971 rear shocks, lol. 8 3/4 489 casting posi rear with 4:30 gears. Weld pro star rims & Mickey Thompson Sportsman pro tires, 28x7.5-15 fronts & 29x12.5-15LT rears &  MP leaf spring relocation kit, custom subframe connectors, Jaz 20 gallon fuel cell in the trunk along with the battery, a Sherwood & ADA amp, Pyle subwoofer & custom crushed blue velvet upholstery. Holley electric fuel pump.

Marc Cross power black leather bucket seats w/ hand pump lumbar and thigh support, new black carpet, and the door panels, headliner, back seat were dyed satin black, Grant GT steering wheel, Autogrip (pistolgrip), shifter, Autometer gauges, Pioneer stereo, graphic eq, Pyle Tube subwoofer powered by a ADA amp, a Sherwood amp powers JBL titanium 6x9's in back and 4" speakers in the front kick panel.
Painted bright blue back in 1987; code 198723GM, (could go for a re-spray), original black vinyl roof, re-chromed bumpers, Go-wing rear spoiler.

And I still have the original complete unrestored engine, the a/c unit, original transmission, rear end, Magnum wheels, leather bucket seats, shifter, radio & build sheet.

Thanks guys!  :2thumbs:

Iron Chef

Well, let's start at the beginning: I'm a big fan of third gens (being that I own one).  It's a beautiful car, and extremely well done.  You should be proud of your work.  :2thumbs:

Now the obvious: We all know that FOR SOME ASSININE REASON, third gens don't command the same prices as their second gen sisters unless they have a Hemi, Six Pack or are extremely high optioned.  And of those, the ones that are closest to factory specs/rotisseried seem to get the most money.  I'm not saying it's right or wrong...just seems to be how things are rolling these days.

Yours would have to be purchased by someone who is looking for that kind of car.  One that is highly modified so that they could, perhaps, enter it in shows.  I'd say that with the right buyer you could probably get $30K on he high side.

Not trying to offend you.  But based on what I see at auctions and the classifieds, I'm guessing that might be where you land.
Most of your life should be "off the record."

41husk

If you realy want to know get it appraised.  It will cost under $200 and you will have documentation if you ever do decide to sell or for insurance purposes.
1969 Dodge Charger 500 440/727
1970 Challenger convertible 340/727
1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904
1983 Plymouth Scamp GT 2.2 Auto
1950 Dodge Pilot house pick up

johnnyseville

Quote from: 41husk on October 31, 2012, 07:55:16 AM
If you really want to know get it appraised.  It will cost under $200 and you will have documentation if you ever do decide to sell or for insurance purposes.

Just for the record, appraisals are basically worthless, we all know you toss the guys a few extra dollars and the value goes up, I totally disregard them, plus not all appraisers are really competent, its hit or miss.

Now to the car, first off I love it, I have never owned a 3rd generation, but I would not mind having one like yours.  The bad, originality is where the money is.  Once you screw around, price falls.  I have seen cars on ebay, highly modified, that are highly sort after when totally stock, with 150K in receipts, bidding for 40-50 K, really pathetic.  Too bad your car was not an original big block.  In your condition, which is really top notch, I see this going for 20-25K at best on eBay. Maybe a bit more if you try a private sale.  You just have to hit the right person who is looking for what you have.   BTW.. I love the engine compartment.
too many to list!

JPL

Quote from: johnnyseville on October 31, 2012, 08:06:39 AM
Quote from: 41husk on October 31, 2012, 07:55:16 AM
If you really want to know get it appraised.  It will cost under $200 and you will have documentation if you ever do decide to sell or for insurance purposes.

Just for the record, appraisals are basically worthless, we all know you toss the guys a few extra dollars and the value goes up, I totally disregard them, plus not all appraisers are really competent, its hit or miss.

Now to the car, first off I love it, I have never owned a 3rd generation, but I would not mind having one like yours.  The bad, originality is where the money is.  Once you screw around, price falls.  I have seen cars on ebay, highly modified, that are highly sort after when totally stock, with 150K in receipts, bidding for 40-50 K, really pathetic.  Too bad your car was not an original big block.  In your condition, which is really top notch, I see this going for 20-25K at best on eBay. Maybe a bit more if you try a private sale.  You just have to hit the right person who is looking for what you have.   BTW.. I love the engine compartment.

Thanks, but is is an original big block car, 383 2brl.

JB400

My suggestion, get aquainted with a dealer and find out when the next classic car auction is, and run your car through.  You don't have to sell it, but it gets quite a few dealers looking at it.  In Kansas City, it costs about $100 to run a car, sell or no sell.  When it goes on the block, let them think your selling it.  When it is done, tell them no sale, and then you found out what your car is really worth before the dealer markup.  Besides, then you get to check out some possible future projects as well.  Another way is to just check to see what everyone else has their car priced at.

41husk

If you really want to know his opinion why would you slip him a few bucks???  The same can be said for GG.  Just because he verifies something doesn't mean it is authentic :Twocents:
1969 Dodge Charger 500 440/727
1970 Challenger convertible 340/727
1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904
1983 Plymouth Scamp GT 2.2 Auto
1950 Dodge Pilot house pick up

1974dodgecharger

yes im rude and only rude because I saw many 3rd gens as most posters have said here goes:

upside:
Great looking car, pure awesomeness, paint awesome, engine, and everything awesome.

downside:
the price is gonna kill you based on the 'market' and my own observations the most your gonna get is 15k. Im sure there is one person out there that does NOT KNOW about CHARGERS that will pay 25k and think they can sell it later for 50k or something.

What you did to the car I say keep it dont sell it and be happy.

Some people believe it or not do not know the difference between a 1st, 2nd, and 3rd gen charger they hear the word 'charger' and think 'money' signs go up etc...

Homerr

Seems like there have been a bunch of non-sale auctions for Chargers on ebay.  Seems they are setting a reserve based on the market peak, but it does give an indication of how much some will pay if completed auctions are searched.  Now, there are some that won't spend money online or with ebay so YMMV.

chargd72

Love everything about this car.  If you don't need the money, then it's worth as much as it takes you to part with it. 

'72 Charger SE 4bbl 318                          '76 Power Wagon 400 W200                                 2011 (attempt at a) Charger

1974dodgecharger

Quote from: Homerr on October 31, 2012, 09:39:46 AM
Seems like there have been a bunch of non-sale auctions for Chargers on ebay.  Seems they are setting a reserve based on the market peak, but it does give an indication of how much some will pay if completed auctions are searched.  Now, there are some that won't spend money online or with ebay so YMMV.

I think the days of, 'I can buy this charger and put XXX amount into and double the value' is gone. Believe it or not thats what alot of people thought and some still think that I mean just look at craigs ads and ebay ads some people put in the ad, 'Once you get this completed and spend about 10k this car will be worth 40k I just checked the last barret auction and same car went for 100k'

So alot of the prices are inflated right now and eventually will settle to a more 'normal' price range.

YES to be rude the 2nd gens do sell (money moved between seller and buyer) more than 1st adn 3rd gens.

skip68

First I'll say it's a beautiful car.  :drool5:   I'd guess mid to high twenties for the right buyer.    
skip68, A.K.A. Chuck \ 68 Charger 440 auto\ 67 Camaro RS (no 440)       FRANKS & BEANS !!!

JPL

Thanks guys, I think we all think the same, teens to high 20's, more if someone is looking for THAT car, but like I said in another post, the resto mod was finished in the late 80's, back when prices on parts were in check. So the restoration began when the car was only 14 years old, at that point in time it was all about mods for the most part. The thing I remember its that the only ones that were kept stock back then, where things like Hemis, 6-packs, factory racers, rarities, ect, (but even those had mags & cherry bombs), but not things like a 383 2brl with a luggage rack, lol. I had a lot of fun with this car, learned a lot, did many custom things with dad, (fire wall, throttle return, rad cover, exhaust, seats and so on), good memories, that's why I'm not in a huge rush to sell, but if the right $$$ comes along ....... :yesnod:
Thanks again, you guys are the best  :2thumbs: