News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

taillight help

Started by Dreamcar, February 21, 2014, 07:02:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dreamcar

I've bought a nice set of taillights for my 69 and, separately, a set of the chrome surrounds. What keeps the chrome pieces from falling off? The pegs from the chrome pieces go into the holes on the bezels ok, but how is is secured?
"And another thing, when I gun the motor, I want people to think the world is coming to an end." - Homer Simpson

1969 Charger, 383, Q5/V1W, A35, H51, N88,  numbers match (under restoration)

jaak

Yes the pegs on the trim press into the holes of the taillights.
When I put mine on, I also used clear silicone around the inside of the bezel, just for extra security.

Jason

myk

Thanks for bringing this up.  I got home the other day and noticed my left trim piece was about to fall off.  I may just take them off altogether...

twodko

When I installed new chrome bezels on my 69 lens I used a dollop of silicon at each corner and one in the middle top and bottom. I used blue painters tape over these points to hold the bezels in place overnight before install. I check mine periodically too.  :Twocents:
FLY NAVY/Marine Corps or take the bus!

Dreamcar

Great advice. Thanks guys!
"And another thing, when I gun the motor, I want people to think the world is coming to an end." - Homer Simpson

1969 Charger, 383, Q5/V1W, A35, H51, N88,  numbers match (under restoration)

bill440rt

Originally the pins on the bezels were peened over holding them on to the lens. Over time the tabs break on the lenses.
Most common fix to reattach the bezels is as others stated, clear silicone. Or, epoxy glue will work also. A set of ratcheting wood clamps will also work to hold them together as the silicone cures, mine have rubber feet so they don't mar the surface.
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

Moparheaven

I used clear sillycone tooo..... :2thumbs: 

I used it to hold the bumpers on too :nana: :nana: Just kidding.  :smilielol:  I used tape. duct tape.....

UH60L

Good info to know, I haven't done my taillights yet.....   :popcrn: