News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

383 4bbl matching numbers?

Started by Mopar1979, October 28, 2012, 08:06:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mopar1979

I have a 69 charger that shows to be a 383 4bbl car. The guy i got it from did not know if it is the original engine or not. The problem is that I see no serial number on the flat spot on the side of the block by oil pan to match with the car vin. I did find the the date code of 68 on the block. I was told that the warranty blocks had no serial number on the side? If this is the case this block was date coded in 68 before the car was built. Has there ever been a case of an engine not getting stamped before it left the factory in the car? Would they have extra engines stock piled at factory from a year before for warranty? Is this common?

375instroke

When was the car built?  The '69 model went on sale in 1968.

Mopar1979

What would be the easiest way to check the car build date? The engine says 5-27-1968 but it has no vin on the smooth spot on the block. What would be the easiest way to tell the build date? the vin dosen't say does it?

resq302

easiest way to tell the scheduled production date of the car is either by a fender tag or a broadcast sheet.  without those two, you are roughly guessing unless you have someone who might have a close serial number car who has either of those two and even then, it is still a close guestimation.
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

Just 6T9 CHGR

Quote from: resq302 on October 29, 2012, 08:03:16 AM
unless you have someone who might have a close serial number car who has either of those two and even then, it is still a close guestimation.

You mean like a Registry?

:wave:
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

bill440rt

"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

375instroke

The motor build date is on this pad:

The E in E440 is the code for '69.  D would be '68 and F would be '70.  The 9 is for the ninth month, September, and the other 9 is the day of the month.

The 904 on the second from last line is the scheduled build date.  September is a 9, with October switching to an A.  Next two digits are day of the month.

So my '69 Charger was scheduled to be built on September 4, 1968, but the motor was assembled on September 9, 1968.  Early in production for that year, and this was not uncommon.

resq302

Quote from: Just 6T9 CHGR on October 29, 2012, 09:51:08 AM
Quote from: resq302 on October 29, 2012, 08:03:16 AM
unless you have someone who might have a close serial number car who has either of those two and even then, it is still a close guestimation.

You mean like a Registry?

:wave:

damn, missed a great opportunity for a plug for ya!   :brickwall: :slap:
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

John_Kunkel

If it doesn't have a stamped VIN on the pan rail it could be a replacement motor (or short block) or a replacement block...if it doesn't have build data stamped on the top pad it's a replacement bare block.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

Mopar1979

In that case it would probably not hurt my cars value to replaced with another engine 383 or 440 in that case since it wont be a numbers matching.
Shawn