News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

former winged race car?

Started by held1823, October 25, 2012, 10:08:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

held1823

anyone know the history? looks like a 1970 bumper to accompany the aero window
Ernie Helderbrand
XX29L9B409053

Aero426

I believe it is an ex-K & K car raced out of the Louisville area by Ken Reiter in 1971 and later Jim Robinson (above photo).   Probably a K & K short track car and a Nichels chassis.    Photo below is a little earlier with Ken Reiter at the wheel.   

Mike DC

A lot about those two cars seems to match.  Including the odd-shaped door handle blockoff plate.

But look at the diagonal backseat bar leading away from the main hoop.  (The bar that makes it impossible to climb into the cabin through the rear side window opening.)  Look at where/how it intersects the main hoop.  That looks a bit different to me.  Not sure. 

JB400

That bar just looks like it intersects at the end of the rocker panel in front of the tire.  Both pics go the same way.  Ideally though, it should run into the trunk for a stiffer chassis.

Door handle block off was just a decal.

Mike DC

No, I'm talking about the upper end of that tube.  The end that is welded to the main hoop just behind the driver's head, visible in the pics.  

The tube seems to meet the main hoop a bit higher up on the pic with the C500 front clip.  And that particular tube is not likely to be changed as a part of normal racing body damage either.    

JB400

They're pretty close to the same. The different angles make it harder to judge.

odcics2

Quote from: Aero426 on October 25, 2012, 10:12:41 PM
I believe it is an ex-K & K car raced out of the Louisville area by Ken Reiter in 1971 and later Jim Robinson (above photo).   Probably a K & K short track car and a Nichels chassis.    Photo below is a little earlier with Ken Reiter at the wheel.   

Cut down to Kit Car size Nichels short track chassis with Volare body, surfaced last winter in mid Michigan, out of long term storage.

Well, lookie here!!!     K&K paint on the frame rail under the steering gear!!   
I've never owned anything but a MoPar. Can you say that?

tan top

Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

Ghoste

ANd now that it has surfaced, what is happening to it??

Indygenerallee

QuoteDoor handle block off was just a decal.
most of the times they used thin aluminum sheeting cut into the shape and it was pop riveted on.
Sold my Charger unfortunately....never got it finished.

Aero426

Not much in the way of decals used in 1970.   Even the Daytona stripe is painted on the Isaac quarter panel.     Decals were just coming into place for use on the door numbers for some of the top teams.  

The door block off in the two photos above is like a fingerprint. 

odcics2

Quote from: Ghoste on October 26, 2012, 06:42:36 AM
ANd now that it has surfaced, what is happening to it??

Originally purchased for parts!  Then I discovered the paint under the gearbox!  :drool5:
Since then, I have found most of that I needed... 

A383Wing

Quote from: Aero426 on October 26, 2012, 11:48:26 AM
Not much in the way of decals used in 1970.   Even the Daytona stripe is painted on the Isaac quarter panel.     Decals were just coming into place for use on the door numbers for some of the top teams.  

The door block off in the two photos above is like a fingerprint. 

Doug..is that the passenger side rear quarter? I see gas filler hole on there

Bryan

Aero426

Aero426

The quarter panel and door turned up on Charlotte Craigslist a couple years ago.   They had been saved from the local dump near the K & K shop.

A383Wing

Quote from: Aero426 on October 26, 2012, 10:45:52 PM
It is from Riverside.  

ah...OK...I understand now....pits are on other side of track

Bryan

Ghoste

Those road track sports car guys are so mixed up.

Mike DC

What color of red/orange was on those K&K Insurance cars, anyway? 

It looks sorta like factory Hemi Orange body paint.

nascarxx29

I think it was a Ford Color poppy red for the #71

Memory serves me correctly that they used a poppy red ford color #60449

1969 R4 Daytona XX29L9B410772
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23UOA174597
1970 FY1 Superbird RM23UOA166242
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23VOA179697
1968 426 Road Runner RM21J8A134509
1970 Coronet RT WS23UOA224126
1970 Daytona Clone XP29GOG178701

Aero426

Dave is correct.  It is Poppy Red.

odcics2

Quote from: Aero426 on October 29, 2012, 08:54:10 AM
Dave is correct.  It is Poppy Red.

aka Hemi Orange without the gold fleck...   :Twocents:

kab69440

The OP's pic looks like a 3rd gen fender and bumper. Doesn't even look close to a 70 nose to me. The lines are all wrong?
Imagination was given to man to compensate him for what he is not;  a sense of humor to console him for what he is.      Francis Bacon

WANT TO BUY:
Looking for a CD by  'The Sub-Mersians'  entitled "Raw Love Songs From My Garage To Your Bedroom"

Also, any of the various surf-revival compilation albums this band has contributed to.
Thank you,    Kenny

Jesus drove a Honda. He wasn't proud of it, though...
John 12: 49     "...for I did not speak of my own Accord."

Aero426

Quote from: kab69440 on October 29, 2012, 04:47:38 PM
The OP's pic looks like a 3rd gen fender and bumper. Doesn't even look close to a 70 nose to me. The lines are all wrong?

It's a '70 front clip.   

held1823

this is likely the same car
Ernie Helderbrand
XX29L9B409053

Aero426

Quote from: held1823 on October 29, 2012, 07:51:55 PM
this is likely the same car

Yes it is.   This is from Salem Indiana which is a high banked half mile.    John Potts was an ARCA starter tells the story that goes with this pic.

"And there was another time at Salem when Jim Robinson was driving it. The night before at Louisville, they broke a left upper ball joint and were put out of the feature.
At Salem the next day, while leading an ARCA race, they broke the right upper ball joint and ended up in the fence. I asked them if they had bothered to check the right one after replacing the left, since they were getting ready to run on a high-bank. They said they didn't."