News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

My Older Brother

Started by Miller17m, October 24, 2012, 04:49:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Miller17m

All in all, I never really thought that one day I would own my older brother.  My Dad picked it up from the dealer two days before I was brought home from the hospital...44 short years ago.  Someone said that the car has aged alot better than I have and I agree!  I have some thing to do on it, before taking it out on the road, but not much.  There is such a long story, with this car, that I someday want to type up.

BTW, I do have a 392 Hemi block and heads if anyone is looking for a set.

This is just after the long road down and putting it in the garage.  I cannot wait to go to a car show, with the wife and kids, and park to go see the other cars and see how many people end up looking it over.  All original and 26,900 miles on it

Miller17m

Fred

Good story Miller17m.
And welcome  :cheers:

Tomorrow is promised to no one.......drive your Charger today.

Fred

Tomorrow is promised to no one.......drive your Charger today.

cdr

welcome to a great charger site,nice car 
LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr

Charger-Bodie

Totally Awesome! Can't wait to see more pics.  Auto? Or 4 speed?
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

Just 6T9 CHGR

Welcome :cheers:  Start typin out that story!
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

moparstuart

welcome  fantastic car your dad was a very smart man
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

Miller17m

It is a 4 speed
It hadn't been started in 16 years, so on Fathers day, my Dad, WIFE, brother, a friend, and I decided to go out and see what happened if we rolled it over. Dad and I poured some ATF fluid in the cylinders and let it sit over night, just in case the rings were stuck.  The next day we rolled it over by hand and it spun like a top...we looked at each other and said "hmmmm". We put in some 30w oil and pulled the distributor to prime the pump and get fresh oil in the system.  We got oil pressure and oil to the rocker arms on one side and said "hmmm mm". We then put the distributor back in, put a big ol battery in it, and rolled it over with the starter. As soon as we connected the battery up, the clock ticked and the dome light came on. We looked at each other again and said "hmmmmm".  As ATF fluid went flying, we said "hmmmmm". We put new plugs in it and buttoned it up, then intercepted the fuel Line at the pump and put a 6' section of new fuel line on and had a couple gallons of racing fuel ready to go. We then filed the points and looked at each other and said "welllllllll". That bugger popped right off after we poured some gas in the dual quads.  We looked at each other and said "love ya"!.....actually screamed it since we were running right out of the headers. Our "moment" came to a sudden end as crap was falling off of every shelf Dad has from the ferocity spewing out of the headers.  That Hemi was po'd that it had been that long.

kikgas01

Didn`t know thw clock was electric lol.

tan top

Hello & welcome   Miller17m  :wave:  ,  thanks for for sharing your story  , would love to hear & see more pictures sometime ,

:cheers: :cheers:

:popcrn:

Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

bill440rt

"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

chargerboy69

Cool story, sweet car. . . . more pictures.  :2thumbs:
Indiana Army National Guard 1st Battalion, 293rd Infantry. Nightfighters. Fort Wayne Indiana.

A government big enough to give you everything you need, is a government big enough to take away everything that you have.
--Gerald Ford

bakerhillpins

Wow, what a beautiful car.   :popcrn: :popcrn: :popcrn:  Love those blue and white no vinyl chargers.   :yesnod:

Another vote for more pics!
One great wife (Life is good)
14 RAM 1500 5.7 Hemi Crew Cab (crap hauler)
69 Dodge Charger R/T, Q5, C6X, V1X, V88  (Life is WAY better)
96' VFR750 (Sweet)
Capt. Lyme Vol. Fire

"Inspiration is for amateurs - the rest of us just show up and get to work." -Chuck Close
"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." -Albert Einstein
Go that way, really fast. If something gets in your way, turn.
Science flies you to the moon, Religion flies you into buildings.

Miller17m

Back when I was a kid, Dad and I were in the Charger and Dad told me "Sit back, we need to clean this thing out."  I sat back and Dad floored it and as my cheeks were wrapped around to the back of my ears, I saw this little bird flying towards us.  The bird got closer and closer, then poof.  He hit the windshield and just vaporized! I spun around and did not see a single feather flying or anything fall from the sky.  It was a red headed wood pecker and I asked Dad how fast we were going and he said 120 mph, of course he was still in the gas.  I think it truly vaporized.  The front fenders have the paint wore off where Dad and his friend bent over to tinker on the engine.

JB400

Glad to hear you and your dad enjoyed the car :2thumbs: Welcome to the group.  Hope your still making memories in the car.

71_Charger_R/T

GREAT CAR!   Good stories!  Once you start really driving it and get some exposure, You''ll probably hear more stories from others who remember your dad's escapades with the car.  Keep the updates coming, I'd love to see more of it.

HeavyFuel

Quote from: 71_Charger_R/T on October 25, 2012, 11:19:55 AM
GREAT CAR!   Good stories!  Once you start really driving it and get some exposure, You''ll probably hear more stories from others who remember your dad's escapades with the car.  Keep the updates coming, I'd love to see more of it.

Fantastic car.  :yesnod:

Makes me wish (again) that my old man had been a Mopar nut, instead of the drunk that he was. :rotz:

Why did the car sit for 16 years?   Man, that's just torture.

nvrbdn

great story. welcome to the site. interior pic's? thanks for posting. :2thumbs:
70 Dodge Charger 500
70 Duster (Moulin Rouge)
73 Challenger
50 Dodge Pilot House

Ryan

Very cool car and great story. Your a lucky man.
69 charger r/t Triple Black
   572 HEMI, Passion 5 speed, 4.10 Dana under construction

2014 viper TA

hatersaurusrex

Is that QQ1?  I've still never seen one in person...
[ŌŌ]ƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖ[ŌŌ] = 68
[ŌŌ][ƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖ][ƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖ][ŌŌ] = 69
(ŌŌ)[ƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗ](ŌŌ) = 70

Magnumcharger

1968 Plymouth Barracuda Formula S 340 convertible
1968 Dodge Charger R/T 426 Hemi 4 speed
1968 Plymouth Barracuda S/S clone 426 Hemi auto
1969 Dodge Deora pickup clone 318 auto
1971 Dodge Charger R/T 440 auto
1972 Dodge C600 318 4 speed ramp truck
1972 Dodge C800 413 5 speed
1979 Chrysler 300 T-top 360 auto
2001 Dodge RAM Sport Offroad 360 auto
2010 Dodge Challenger R/T 6 speed
2014 RAM Laramie 5.7 Hemi 8 speed

Miller17m

Once I get the gas tank cleaned out and the rubber brakes lines replaced, it will be ready to go out and eat some pavement. 

Does anyone have any advice on switching to disc brakes?  How much better is the braking and who has the best kit...that truly just switches /bolts on?

I am thinking of replacing the interior carpet, since the musty smell is pretty set in.  Anyone have advice on that?

I will keep all of the original parts, but this car won't be sold, so I may as well get it as driver friendly as reasonably possible.  No A/C will be tough to bear with, in Texas, but I guess I will just have to drive it faster!   :drool5:

cdr

another texas brother,, i live in
katy tx  charlie
LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr

DrHemi

I think we all wish our dad's had one of those laying around
1938 Packard 120
1957 Studebaker Silver Hawk
1963 Ford Fairlane 500
1964 Ford Fairlane 500 (RIP due to code enforcement)
1970 Dodge Charger 500
1972 MG Midget
1987 Maserati BiTurbo Si