News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Where to get Repro Battery? Are they worth the money?

Started by johnnyseville, October 22, 2012, 07:19:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

johnnyseville

Looking to get a group 27.  Year One prices are ridiculous.  Saw one repro listed by a company called Axion Power, for $229 plus shipping ($24), seems to be most reasonable so far.  Is there a difference between different vendors.  Years back purchase one from Year One, was cheaper then, but basically lasted about a year, don't know if they are more durable now, if not my best bet would be a Sear Diehard.  What do you think, where do you get yours and how long do they last nowadays?

John

http://shop.turbostart.com/Mopar-S27MRL-Red-Cap-Late-1969-1973-AGM-Battery-B-S27MRL.htm
too many to list!

bakerhillpins

I have one that looks exactly like that one in my 69 that I bought last year. It was strong when I bought the car and has made it though this year with lots of cranking power. I kept it on a tender over the winter.

If you know where I can find a MFG date I can check mine and give you some feedback on how old it is.
One great wife (Life is good)
14 RAM 1500 5.7 Hemi Crew Cab (crap hauler)
69 Dodge Charger R/T, Q5, C6X, V1X, V88  (Life is WAY better)
96' VFR750 (Sweet)
Capt. Lyme Vol. Fire

"Inspiration is for amateurs - the rest of us just show up and get to work." -Chuck Close
"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." -Albert Einstein
Go that way, really fast. If something gets in your way, turn.
Science flies you to the moon, Religion flies you into buildings.

469 runner

I put one in my 'Cuda years ago when as I was finishing the restoration.  The battery was an accurate repro and worked well for several years.  I believe it was made by Castle Battery Co.  I think they may be out of business now.  After that battery died I just replaced it with a NAPA Gold.  Maintainence free and much better I think if you want to drive the car.  I always had to keep a trickle charge on the reproduction battery, but never on this new battery.

bull

I'm having the same issue. It's hard to drop $230-$250 on a Mopar repro when you can get an Odyssey, that will likely last 5-7 years longer, for about the same money or less.

41husk

I bought a repro Bat from little detroit over a year ago.  I bought a  battery fro Daimler that is a Mopar battery almost 5 years ago.  I keep my cars on a battery tender and have not had an issue I exspect to get at least 5 years out of the correct looking battery.
1969 Dodge Charger 500 440/727
1970 Challenger convertible 340/727
1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904
1983 Plymouth Scamp GT 2.2 Auto
1950 Dodge Pilot house pick up

johnnyseville

Seems like these battery tenders are the way to go to lengthen the life of these repros.  Never used them, just disconnected the cable when I parked it, which obviously did not help.  It's nice to have a repro if the rest of the car is restored.  Just hate to go somewhere with a 100K car, turn the ignition and hear click, click, click.
too many to list!

Dodge Don

I had one from Castle originally but it died after a couple of years. Went with a Turbostart maintenance free version and no problems with it at all.

For me the repro battery really finishes the engine compartment......

41husk

I agree it looks finished and i have 4 battery tenders.  When parked my cars are tended!
1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904

bill440rt

My last Group 27 (sealed) battery lasted almost 8 years, only because it developed a leak around the neg terminal. I have another that is still going strong.
Picked up a repro dry cell battery, much lighter & looks the same.
I remove the batteries & put a Tender on them over the winter storage months.
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

ODZKing

Quote from: johnnyseville on October 22, 2012, 07:19:25 PM
Saw one repro listed by a company called Axion Power, for $229 plus shipping ($24), seems to be most reasonable so far.  Where do you get yours and how long do they last nowadays?

John

http://shop.turbostart.com/Mopar-S27MRL-Red-Cap-Late-1969-1973-AGM-Battery-B-S27MRL.htm
Yes, I got my second group 27 from TurboStart.  They are at numerous shows and offer deals with free shipping.
I purchased mine at the Syracuse Nationals (Gr27) it was something like $190 an free shipping.  So you MAY want to call them and see where their next apprearance will be to get a deal.
Now, as for my first one, I purchased it at http://www.antiqueautobattery.com/
They specifically state DO NOT use any kind of charger on it.  So, after 2 years and a tough cold winter it was very weak come spring.  It was bad so I called to find out about the warranty.  I was told - get this - "send it to us and WE will determine IF it is under warranty". So, let me get this straight - I spend my nickle to ship it and they may or may-not cover it. AND in the meantime I have NO battery while all this is taking place.  Never again!
So I threw a trickle charger on it and it has been fine ever since. I bought it in 07 so frankly I feel I am living on borrowed time anyway. What did I have to loose? So needless to say I won't be going back to them.
As far as a charger, I have a simple trickle charger on that one but the newer one I purchased from Axion is the newer style AGM (Absorbent Glass Mat) but they say they are very prone to overcharging.  So I purchased a battery tender.  You can get them really inexpensively on EBay so don't pay huge prices from vendors elsewhere.
My  :Twocents:

41husk

I agree I bought a tender that charges two batteries and three single charge Deltrans.  I wishh ihad longer connectors :brickwall:  They also make one that tends 4 batteries at a time.  If I ever get all my cars in the same garage Iwill get that.
1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904

resq302

I got one back in 2007 that was a sealed unit which was supposedly dead that I was going to gut and put an Odyssey battery in but prior doing so I figured I would try and throw it onto a battery tender.  It brought the thing back to life with no issues!  As Bill had said, this battery is stamped with a 2004 date code and it is at the 8 year mark now with signs of the negative terminal having a little bit of acid leak up around it since I noticed corrosion starting on the batter tender alligator clip.  I strongly agree that the battery tenders DO make a huge difference in the longevity of the battery.  If it was not for the fact that I used my truck every day and it would be a hassle putting on and taking it off, I would have one on every battery that I own as they have proven to extend the life of the battery.
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

bull

Don't know if anyone noticed or not but that Turbostart battery is on back order.

ODZKing

They said mine was as well when I ordered it at Nats.  Took them about 2 weeks and I got it.
They say they make them as ordered.

1969chargerrtse

Mine was the expensive gell type in the repro shell. It only lasted 3 years. I bought a Die Hard gold next time around.
This car was sold many years ago to somebody in Wisconsin. I now am retired and living in Florida.

6pkrtse

I got sick of paying the big bucks for these for my cars. I did the "hide a smaller lighweight racing battery inside the repro battery" trick on my car. Saved over 40 lbs too.
1963 Belvedere 413 Max Wedge
1970 Charger R/T S.E. 440 sixpack.
1970 Challenger R/T Drag Radial 528 Hemi
1970 Charger 500 S.E. 440 4 BBL
1970 Road Runner 383 4 BBL
1974 Chrysler New Yorker 440 4 BBL
1996 Dodge Ram 2500 V-10 488 cu in.
2004 Dodge Ram 3500 CTD Dually 6x6
2012 Challenger R/T Classic

6pkrtse

HeavyFuel

Quote from: 6pkrtse on October 25, 2012, 11:45:22 AM
I got sick of paying the big bucks for these for my cars. I did the "hide a smaller lighweight racing battery inside the repro battery" trick on my car. Saved over 40 lbs too.

Sneaky.   

Does the fake casing look real?  I mean really real.  Where did you get it?

6pkrtse

It is the actual real Repro battery. I cut the bottom off & gutted out the whole inside. Very messy & time consuming process, but well worth it in my opinion.

ODZKing

Yea, I saw that thread.   Awsome idea if you have the resources to do it.
Me, I'd have it all over the kitchen or dining room table and the wife would be pissed!!!   :RantExplode:

DixieRestoParts

Quote from: ODZKing on October 23, 2012, 09:38:37 AM
Saw one repro listed by a company called Axion Power, for $229 plus shipping ($24), seems to be most reasonable so far.  Where do you get yours and how long do they last nowadays?

John

Yes, I got my second group 27 from TurboStart.  They are at numerous shows and offer deals with free shipping.
I purchased mine at the Syracuse Nationals (Gr27) it was something like $190 an free shipping.  So you MAY want to call them and see where their next apprearance will be to get a deal.
They specifically state DO NOT use any kind of charger on it.  So, after 2 years and a tough cold winter it was very weak come spring.  It was bad so I called to find out about the warranty.  I was told - get this - "send it to us and WE will determine IF it is under warranty". So, let me get this straight - I spend my nickle to ship it and they may or may-not cover it. AND in the meantime I have NO battery while all this is taking place.  Never again!
So I threw a trickle charger on it and it has been fine ever since. I bought it in 07 so frankly I feel I am living on borrowed time anyway. What did I have to loose? So needless to say I won't be going back to them.
As far as a charger, I have a simple trickle charger on that one but the newer one I purchased from Axion is the newer style AGM (Absorbent Glass Mat) but they say they are very prone to overcharging.  So I purchased a battery tender.  You can get them really inexpensively on EBay so don't pay huge prices from vendors elsewhere.

I purchased one from Antique also and went through a similar bad experience trying to get it replaced under warranty. They wouldn't do anything and never returned any phone calls after promising to get back with me. Hope they enjoyed that $250 they got from me because I tell everyone I can (like right now) not to buy from them, or they risk the same poor customer service and inferior product I dealt with.

For what it's worth I've read good things about a guy on Moparts that sells the Axion battery. I'd post over there and ask for his name. He might be able to save you a few bucks.

Great idea on hiding a racing battery inside the case. I might just do that with the dud in my garage now.
Dixie Restoration Parts
Ball Ground, Georgia
Phone: (770) 975-9898
Phone Hours: M-F 10am-6pm EST
mail@dixierestorationparts.com
Veteran owned small business

The Best Parts at a Fair Price

41husk

Cool so you have fake terminals running from the top?
1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904

6pkrtse

Kind of, still has real terminals. The cables from the racing battery bolts to the original repro battery's terminal. Still fuctions from the top side like a regular battery.

Charger_Dart

Quote from: DixieRestoParts on October 30, 2012, 01:10:09 PM
Quote from: ODZKing on October 23, 2012, 09:38:37 AM
Saw one repro listed by a company called Axion Power, for $229 plus shipping ($24), seems to be most reasonable so far.  Where do you get yours and how long do they last nowadays?

John

I purchased one from Antique also and went through a similar bad experience trying to get it replaced under warranty. They wouldn't do anything and never returned any phone calls after promising to get back with me. Hope they enjoyed that $250 they got from me because I tell everyone I can (like right now) not to buy from them, or they risk the same poor customer service and inferior product I dealt with.

For what it's worth I've read good things about a guy on Moparts that sells the Axion battery. I'd post over there and ask for his name. He might be able to save you a few bucks.

Great idea on hiding a racing battery inside the case. I might just do that with the dud in my garage now.

I believe Fred Gilmore is the guy you are referring to from Moparts.  I purchased 2 batteries from him and got excellent batteries, price and service. He is very thorough and will follow up to make sure you are satisfied.  fgilmore@speednet.com Hope this helps.

68 Charger R/T & 68 Dart GT Convertible