News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Vehicle Transport: Any of you guys savy on shipping companies?

Started by Surf Charger, October 22, 2012, 10:08:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Surf Charger

Found a Charger I'm interested in but its states away. Would be so much easier for me to use my flying miles and fly there to check it out, but have a shipping company get it to me.

Any of you guys have any tips on having a vehicle transported? Is it something super expensive? Any good companies to use?

Aero426

Surf Charger

Aero426

On Moparts.com there is a transport board where people advertise services and you can request a quote.    Most are door to door owner operators with enclosed trailers.   There are some reputable people.   

As far as the internet, you get what you pay for.    The cheaper shippers will be open trailer semi rigs.  The more expensive will be enclosed semis.   I think your best bet is to look for a personal recommendation of someone. 

madmike

I just had a 1974 Dodge Dart Sport shipped from Phoenix, AZ to Wintersville, OH by Montway Auto Transport.  It cost me $900.  They picked the car up quickly, and dropped it off a day earlier than they said they were going to.  They were professional.  I would use them again.  They're on the Internet, give em a call.

Iron Chef

Here's my .02:

I would suggest having the car shipped.  What you save in terms of shipping costs you may easily burn in gasoline.  With gas prices being what they are and the mileage these cars get, it could be a costly journey.

Second, and most important, you don't know this car.  You have no idea what is really working right and what's ready to break.  There is nothing worse than getting stuck on the side of the road with your recently purchased muscle car.  You can't leave it or it may not be there (or it may be stripped or damaged) when you return.  Add to that the hassle of getting it towed, repaired or worse yet, towed all the way home.

My advice?  Get it on a trailer, let them bring it to you and save yourself a potential hassle.  I had my Charger shipped from Pennsylvania to Texas and it was around $650.  I can't remember the shipping company but I was very pleased.

Just as an aside...when the car left Pittsburgh there was a fairly heavy snowstorm.  Really glad I didn't have to drive through that!
Most of your life should be "off the record."

41husk

There is a member on here that advertises in the services offered section.  You might just send him a pm.
1969 Dodge Charger 500 440/727
1970 Challenger convertible 340/727
1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904
1983 Plymouth Scamp GT 2.2 Auto
1950 Dodge Pilot house pick up

chargerboy69

I use U-Ship.  Type in your information and in comes the offers.  With each offer, their feedback is also listed. Very easy to use.
Indiana Army National Guard 1st Battalion, 293rd Infantry. Nightfighters. Fort Wayne Indiana.

A government big enough to give you everything you need, is a government big enough to take away everything that you have.
--Gerald Ford

41husk

trulyvintage. is the name of the member here that does auto transport for a living.
1969 Dodge Charger 500 440/727
1970 Challenger convertible 340/727
1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904
1983 Plymouth Scamp GT 2.2 Auto
1950 Dodge Pilot house pick up

Surf Charger

Thanks folks! I wasnt planning on driving it back as it needs some work. It does run, drive, and stop....but I wouldnt drive it 10 hours. If I could find a shipping company for around $650-$800....that would be fantastic. I'll try some of your suggestions. Thanks again!

bill440rt

I used Horseless Carriage decades ago when I purchased my '70. Had it shipped from Spokane, WA to NJ. Collector car transport is their specialty. They are pros.
Also had friends that used them, very professional with no issues. Like it was mentioned, you get what you pay for.
Call several companies, get quotes.

http://www.horselesscarriage.com/
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce