News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

1972 Dodge Charger SE Police Interceptor ???!

Started by MAKdaddy, October 21, 2012, 03:23:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MAKdaddy

Ok everybody, I have an unusual car I'd like get a second opinion on. I've been in to third gen Chargers for twenty years,  but this is the first I've ever heard of a Charger being used as a police interceptor back in the day.

On a whim I checked out an ad on Craiglist since it was local and I always enjoy checking out another Charger if I can.  The previous owner, who had fallen on tough times, claimed that the car had been used as a police interceptor to chase down moonshiners through the North Carolina back country. Apparently the car had quite a reputation, and if you saw this car while up to no good, your day was about to get a lot worse. He could not produce paperwork proving this nor could he remember which department it may have served, however it has a clean title.

I figured I would check it out anyway, since the car is nicely optioned. Sure enough when I got there,the car is equipped  with a driver's side spot light, some sort of warning lights mounted behind the grille, and some remnants of a CB antenna which was mounted where the regular antenna usually goes. Body is decent.

I was able to find one full and one partial broadcast sheet, and it still has both fender tags. Some of the options  include: buckets, center console, 400 magnum (long gone), rallye dash, hidden headlights, magnum 500 wheels, A/C, disc brakes, and front sway bar. It is black with black vinyl top and a goldish –white interior.

I already have a '71 project,but didn't want to leave this car to rot away, I may decide to sell it, haven't done a hard comparison between my two Chargers yet. I didn't base my purchase on it being a real cop car, but I'm curious—maybe it was a car the Po-Po confiscated and used as an interceptor? I would think a true cop car would have been plainer and packing a 440. What do you think???

1972 Charger 440 Rallye Red
1995 Chevy C1500 5.3 LSx Swap
1991 Honda CRX Uber-Miler

MAKdaddy

JB400

First off, :2thumbs: :2thumbs: :2thumbs: :2thumbs: :2thumbs: That's cool.  I'm going to say it is possible that it could be a lawdog.  There's really not much to go on unless it has a heavy duty suspension and maybe bigger brakes.  If it was confiscated, it could be a different story.  Another theory is that an officer bought it himself and then put on the extras himself.  That does happen quite a bit.  I'd start with a thorough cleaning of the car, checking glovebox, and removing the seats and see what you find.  The only other way is to do a title check.  Very cool score by the way :coolgleamA: :2thumbs:

Indygenerallee

That spotlight looks awful weird right on the fender I have never seen a spotlight mounted there as it makes no sense as you would have to drill through so many panels to make it function thats why they are mounted on the A-pillar, looks like someone was trying to pass a make believe story off to get a few extra bucks, and it makes no sense to have a 2 door cop car, Some highway patrols had Mustangs and Camaros back in the 80's and 90's but they were far and few between and used for high speed chases, but if you had a Monaco with a 440 it would run with the Charger so it does not make any sense, Good story but I think that is what it is.  :Twocents:
Sold my Charger unfortunately....never got it finished.

Brock Lee

It is possible. Back in those days smaller police departments usually bought civilian cars and made them into police cars. I would start investigating it. Go to all the police departments in the area it is from and start talking to senior members. Even if it wasn't a police car, they will likely remember the car anyway. Not too many Chargers with spotlights and extra lights on them I am sure.

kikgas01

Ghoste

Be interesting to find out the rest of the story.  One of those could be things but hard to prove.

billfury

It's a dominos pizza delivery car. Back in the day when they first came out they only had a half hour of it's free. So legend says that they bought chargers to deliver them fast. :nana:

Sorry I had to do it.

Ghoste

You never know what some small town Andy Taylor type of cop might have modified on his own though.  We have seen evidence of other cars not offered by Chrysler for police use get converted by small towns or individuals.  Do I think this one is?  Not likely, but there is a sliver of a chance that someone did press it into service on their own.

Cooter

No such thing as a Mopar "Police Interceptor"....That was a FORD term.
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

djcarguy

Thats    DEXTER'S  DADDYS TRAINING CAR,,hahaha..    spot light and grill lights to blind and pull over the next victim,haha.             back when DEXTER was just a inasent boy and dad was the sereal killer,haha. :smilielol: :smilielol: :rofl: :rofl:

looks like a great project and great story. cop rims and dress it out and have fun-----legally have fun. :2thumbs: :cheers:

MAKdaddy

Thanks for all the replies! I've been away from the board for a while. Most everybody is thinking about what I am thinking. There's some good suggestions for trying to track down the history of the car, but I am pretty pressed for time these days.

My summer job out of high school was working at a dealership where I was able to drive a 1995 Camaro "Interceptor" bought at auction. It still had the badge on the door and everything. So its not unheard of that two door cars can be used.

Regarding the installation of the spotlight, yeah I agree its definitely not the best install. Just like anything else, there are hacks and pro's out there though. I think the fact the door glass isn't framed may have something to do with why its not mounted to the A-pillar. Or maybe it was just a tacky accessory added during the disco era--someone did actually think orange shag carpet was a good idea at one time after all.
Nothing indicates on the Rallye dash that its a certified speedometer.

Maybe it was a take home car for the police chief? A wanna-be's copy? Who knows for sure.

Like I said in my OP, I didn't really consider the fact it may have been a police car in my purchase since there was no paperwork or other indisputable evidence saying it was.

Even if you completely ignored the possible cop-car element, this was a nicely optioned car! Big block, SE, magnum wheels, bucket interior, disc brakes, sway bar, A/C, hidden headlights, Sure-Grip limited slip, and black on black on tan color scheme.

In any event, after much debate I have decided to sell this car since with my '71 and a truck project, I don't have enough resources. If anybody is interested, please send me a PM. I will post it in our classified seciton within the next few days.

Thanks for all the interest and comments everybody!

kikgas01

ACUDANUT

If you look at the spot light, the driver could not even reach the "missing" handle. So, it's a pointless add on.
Moonshiner vs. the cops ended after the prohibition ended (1935)
Bogus story. Nice car, even though I hate the 72 SE.

MAKdaddy

Quote from: ACUDANUT on October 26, 2012, 12:54:32 PM
If you look at the spot light, the driver could not even reach the "missing" handle. So, it's a pointless add on.

True, prohibition and moonshining ended long ago.

Is this the "missing handle" you're referring to??

ACUDANUT

Now that handle would work.   I still believe the moonshiner era had been over for more than 35 years. :Twocents:

JB400

Ghoste

I think he means the idea of transporting it in a high speed car while the feds chase you.

Troy

Quote from: ACUDANUT on October 26, 2012, 12:54:32 PM
Quote from: Ghoste on October 26, 2012, 02:11:11 PM
I think he means the idea of transporting it in a high speed car while the feds chase you.
Uh, there's a recent TV show to dispute that. ;) If you live in a small town in WV, TN, NC, KY, etc. you probably know someone who still runs moonshine. I don't know that they necessarily try to "outrun" the ATF but they certainly try to stay inconspicuous.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

Tilar

Some people that used to rent a house from us had family in WV that ran shine. He used to bring some up now and then. I think I still have some in a mason jar, but a little bit of that goes a long way.
Dave  

God must love stupid people; He made so many.

Cooter

Yessiree, I get a quart of the "recipe" every Xmas. Draws it out from a spigot on the outside of his house. Looks almost like water. (The good stuff anyways, not that rot gut, Bathtub Sh*t some of 'em run off through car radiators)...
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

Brock Lee

I buy "shine" from a few sources as it makes the best solvent to make my own homemade shellac.

Ghoste

I get some from a friend south of me but north of the Mason-Dixon myself.  I would think high speed runs are extremely rare then if they are still going on.  But maybe not?

myaerocars

Thanks for posting the pics.. what a cool story. I would think that the spot could be useful for both sides of the law.

Yes shine is still made down here ... hey even have a legal one in Dawsonville now.  :2thumbs:

A quick question: On the dash is a plate with a  chrome handle. What does that do?

Thanks  and Godspeed,
JON

Tilar

Pull it and see, just make sure someone hasn't improvised their own version of cruise control before you do... and don't ask me why I suggested that.  :misbehaving:
Dave  

God must love stupid people; He made so many.