News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

'68 R/T (what a crying shame!)

Started by 71_Charger_R/T, October 18, 2012, 05:05:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

moparstuart

wow love the air flows  , id throw a 392 hemi in one and drive it   :icon_smile_big:
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

71_Charger_R/T

Thanks Stuart! We hope to put one back on the road. (the '37) probably sacrifice the other.

bakerhillpins

Those air flows are beautiful cars... The wife likes the older cars more than the Charger so one is in my future.   :yesnod:  :lol:
One great wife (Life is good)
14 RAM 1500 5.7 Hemi Crew Cab (crap hauler)
69 Dodge Charger R/T, Q5, C6X, V1X, V88  (Life is WAY better)
96' VFR750 (Sweet)
Capt. Lyme Vol. Fire

"Inspiration is for amateurs - the rest of us just show up and get to work." -Chuck Close
"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." -Albert Einstein
Go that way, really fast. If something gets in your way, turn.
Science flies you to the moon, Religion flies you into buildings.

moparstuart

Quote from: 71_Charger_R/T on October 24, 2012, 11:33:58 AM
Thanks Stuart! We hope to put one back on the road. (the '37) probably sacrifice the other.
if you dont use up the whole thing in parts id be interested in the left overs 
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

nvrbdn

70 Dodge Charger 500
70 Duster (Moulin Rouge)
73 Challenger
50 Dodge Pilot House

tan top

Quote from: Mytur Binsdirti on October 24, 2012, 06:02:04 AM
Quote from: tan top on October 19, 2012, 05:55:35 AM
  wonder what the frame rails are like ? :scratchchin:

What frame rails?   :lol:

:yesnod:
  exactly  , all that time on the dirt  ,  i'm bettiing  its not good  :icon_smile_blackeye:
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

71_Charger_R/T

Quote from: tan top on October 24, 2012, 03:22:58 PM
Quote from: Mytur Binsdirti on October 24, 2012, 06:02:04 AM
Quote from: tan top on October 19, 2012, 05:55:35 AM
  wonder what the frame rails are like ? :scratchchin:

What frame rails?   :lol:

:yesnod:

exactly  , all that time on the dirt  ,  i'm bettiing  its not good  :icon_smile_blackeye:

The rear rails...... (only part I could see under, being bellied in like it is.) are GONE! They look like lace! The shifter is heaving up the tranny tunnel, so I'm sure the torsion bar crossmember has returned to earth.

Stuart; I will keep you in mind if you are serious. I'm only a couple and a half hours from Farmington, and I know you go there.

model maker

I think these jokers who let these cars sit in the dirt and rot have a screw loose somewhere. In the first post the guys mom said he had EVERY CAR HE EVER OWNED AND they are ALL SITTING & rotting away. Oh sure, he is going to fix them up SOMEDAY  :popcrn: That isn't going to happen ! what we have here is described in one word    HORDER, these people , well you have seen the shows with the horder houses ? most of these guys are horders, will never let these cars go and will just let them rot away to nothing but a rust stain in the dirt and overgrown brush. what a shame these people ever owned a car like these.
MODEL MAKER

Ghoste

Car hoarding, they should do an episode about that.

bakerhillpins

Quote from: Ghoste on October 25, 2012, 06:26:36 AM

Careful what you wish for.  Ever watch that show? They end up cleaning the places out and throwing most of it away.
One great wife (Life is good)
14 RAM 1500 5.7 Hemi Crew Cab (crap hauler)
69 Dodge Charger R/T, Q5, C6X, V1X, V88  (Life is WAY better)
96' VFR750 (Sweet)
Capt. Lyme Vol. Fire

"Inspiration is for amateurs - the rest of us just show up and get to work." -Chuck Close
"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." -Albert Einstein
Go that way, really fast. If something gets in your way, turn.
Science flies you to the moon, Religion flies you into buildings.

Ghoste

Actually I don't.  I figured they just showed you the places and all the crap they had.  I better take back my comment. :o

JB400

Quote from: bakerhillpins on October 25, 2012, 06:44:18 AM
Quote from: Ghoste on October 25, 2012, 06:26:36 AM

Careful what you wish for.  Ever watch that show? They end up cleaning the places out and throwing most of it away.
They bring 3 or4 dumpsters in at a time and usually becomes a community effort to clean those places up.  It is unreal, unfortunately, a reality

Ghoste

Yeah, we don't want them doing that to the car hoarders, we just want the pile split up among folks who can use the cars even if only for parts.

model maker

Those horders on the tv shows are  sick, if you have ever seen the shows, people going in wear hazmat suits NO JOKE ! there is food that is 10 years old and rotted wear people gag and throw up from the smell. dead cat skeletons are often found under the mess on a floor thet hasn't seen daylight for years. The horder has to be there and review each thing that gets tossed and still fight to keep a molded, rotted whatever it is. these guys who do this to cars are  close to being if not being horders and will never let anything go even if it is to preserve it by someone who will do just that.
MODEL MAKER

TheAutoArchaeologist

Quote from: model maker on October 25, 2012, 03:42:25 PM
Those horders on the tv shows are  sick, if you have ever seen the shows, people going in wear hazmat suits NO JOKE ! there is food that is 10 years old and rotted wear people gag and throw up from the smell. dead cat skeletons are often found under the mess on a floor thet hasn't seen daylight for years. The horder has to be there and review each thing that gets tossed and still fight to keep a molded, rotted whatever it is. these guys who do this to cars are  close to being if not being horders and will never let anything go even if it is to preserve it by someone who will do just that.

That happened to me recently.  Guy had boarded up a barn in 1994 after someone broke in and stole some stuff.  He hadn't been in until we went in over the summer  We found a mummified cat while uncovering some 426 Hemi's he had lying on the floor.  I will not lie, I screamed for a second finding that cat.  Then he kicked it under a car and we moved on.

model maker

Man  oh man,  :o that por cats owner has been wondering where the cat was. he must have boarded it up pretty tight in order for a cat not finding a way out.
MODEL MAKER

Lord Warlock

Don't bust on every person who holds on to old cars and thinks he'll restore or fix it up one day.  While its unlikely anyone will actually restore one that sits in a field where trees have grown up around it, its easy to see how that can happen to someone without a garage to store one in.  I built a two car garage just to store my old charger in, and for six years now the stealth has sat outside  while i worked on the charger slowly, eventually returning it to near streetable condition.  The stealth's paint has deteriorated to where i'll have to strip it and repaint it again, but mechanically, its whole drivetrain is new and ready to go but to the purists stealth community i'm letting it go too far while trees and bushes have grown on both sides. 

I was one of those that refused offers of well intentioned car rescuers who would knock on the door and offer bundles of cash, (usually about 1/3 of its worth) even 5 or 6k wasn't enough to make me blink an eye.  I did have one that offered 12k for it once, but even that wasn't near what they were selling for at the time.  If you truly want to save one, make an offer close to what its really worth, and explain to them what it actually costs to rebuild one.  You really don't have to spend 60k on a total restoration, if you have the time and most of the parts, you can bring one back for only 4 to 5k.  Its only the small details that tend to start draining the bank account as you progress.  I got my charger for 800 cash in 1978, drove it for a few years then stored it. I've put close to 4k into it in the last 5 years, and still have another 3 to 5k to go before i'll be happy with it, but from this stage i can display it in public and not be ashamed of what i've brought.  I've easily spent more than its auction value just storing it for this long.
69 RT/SE Y3 cream yellow w/tan vinyl top and black r/t stripe. non matching 440/375, 3:23, Column shift auto w/buddy seat, tan interior, am/fm w/fr to back fade, Now wears 17" magnum 500 rims and Nitto tires. Fresh repaint, new interior, new wheels and tires.

Ghoste

I agree a lot of worthless offers come from cold callers but a lot of those people with cars rotting into the dirt like that also have some insanely inflated ideas of what their junk is worth too.

stripedelete

Imo,  it's the only thing of value they have or, and I believe much more likley, it's the only positive attentinion they have ever recieved.  Get rid of it, at any price, and they have nothing.  In any case, it's a shame. :icon_smile_dissapprove:

charger_fan_4ever

Quote from: Lord Warlock on October 30, 2012, 05:54:36 PM
if you have the time and most of the parts, you can bring one back for only 4 to 5k.  Its only the small details that tend to start draining the bank account as you progress. 

That is assuming you have a rust free car and just need to bondo dents ? Paint/materials are well over $1000. Does not leave much meat on the bone.

Case in point I and others have spent well over $5k in just metal.

Lord Warlock

indeed, painting can cost anywhere from 500 to 10,000 depending on whether you do it yourself or pay someone else to do it for you.  It cost me at least 1k to paint mine, and mine was almost rust free and needed no new panels. 
69 RT/SE Y3 cream yellow w/tan vinyl top and black r/t stripe. non matching 440/375, 3:23, Column shift auto w/buddy seat, tan interior, am/fm w/fr to back fade, Now wears 17" magnum 500 rims and Nitto tires. Fresh repaint, new interior, new wheels and tires.