News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

what is a fair price for 69 R/T SE project car

Started by preid, October 17, 2012, 08:29:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

preid

Everyone,
Would like to hear what people think is a fair price for an un-restored, 69 R/T SE, numbers matching, w/ 440 that runs.  Body looks in decent shape from these pics.

thanks.

JB400

That is a pretty rough car.  I can tell the fender needs replaced.  What does the right side look like?  How about the trunk, floors, engine compartment?  Also need to know about the interior, and what is missing.  It is a start though.

preid

Here is the rest of the pics I have.  Does this give you enough to give me a ballpark or range of price that would be reasonable to pay for this?

thanks

JB400

Well, by my estimates, maybe between $2500 to $4000.  That is just my guess.  I don't know what area your in and how rare these cars are in your area.  I know your going to need quarters and fenders.  The doors look alright and so does the hood.  Your tail panel needs work.  I figure the trunk needs it as well.  Some of the trim around the taillights is missing.  I would start looking at the prices of parts so you have an idea of what it will cost to get it decent again.

It does looks like it is a legit R/T.  It does have the tic toc tach.  It might also be a early production because of the 68 shifter.
Fender tag or vin could tell us more.

I'd wait a day or two and see what the "experts" say about it.  In the mean time, pull out the catalogs and  make a wish list.  What's your plans for the car?

Vote for $troker or Fred   http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95907.msg1101406.html#msg1101406

moparstuart

GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

areibel

Lotsa "ifs" on this one, but it doesn't look too bad so far.
If it's a real RT, and still has some common parts on it (namely the floorpan, frame rails, tortion bar crossmember, etc) I'd say with a running 440 it's more like $10K or better?  That's assuming you'll have to do something with the trunk floor, not many escape that particular cancer.   And if it's got goodies like AC (looks like it in the pics), maybe a Dana 60 it only goes up!

preid

My plan would be to have a reputable shop restore it.  Unfortunately, I don't have the time nor all of the skills to do everything myself so, at this point, I'm prepared to have it restored by a quality shop.  I'm in the St. Louis area.  So far, the two shops I had in mind are booked for the next 2 years so I'm still shopping for that too.  If you know of a good shop somewhere reasonably close to my area, please let me know.

thanks!

Lennard

Look on the right side under the sill plate. Looks like it is rusted open. Even the steering wheel has rust on it. :o

bakerhillpins

Fender tag? Broadcast sheet?

I'm thinking that it's like 5k.  :shruggy: Be nice to see engine, trunk and underbody pics.
One great wife (Life is good)
14 RAM 1500 5.7 Hemi Crew Cab (crap hauler)
69 Dodge Charger R/T, Q5, C6X, V1X, V88  (Life is WAY better)
96' VFR750 (Sweet)
Capt. Lyme Vol. Fire

"Inspiration is for amateurs - the rest of us just show up and get to work." -Chuck Close
"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." -Albert Einstein
Go that way, really fast. If something gets in your way, turn.
Science flies you to the moon, Religion flies you into buildings.

rebby

Based on all the cars that I've looked at lately I'm going to have to agree with the $3-5k assessments. It looks to need a lot of work to get back to driver condition. I'd guess that the engine/trans will need to be gone through as well. Where are the backup lights???
Curt Rebelein, Junior
1969 Charger R/T SE (500 Stroker/833/D60 w/XP VIN)
1969 Charger (440/727/8.75, GL Project)

skip68

$6,500 ish.  Need pictures under car, hood and trunk.   
skip68, A.K.A. Chuck \ 68 Charger 440 auto\ 67 Camaro RS (no 440)       FRANKS & BEANS !!!

1974dodgecharger

Quote from: skip68 on October 17, 2012, 10:49:14 PM
$6,500 ish.  Need pictures under car, hood and trunk.   

was thinking same thing...the OP said, 'based on pics' which means he has not seen this in person which means the owner only sent the 'good' pics to him to get him excited.

Like everyone saids you need to loo under the floors, trunks, etc..

RallyeMike

If it's really a running number matching RT SE AC car with the fender tag present, I can see it just breaking 5 digits on a good day. Blue on blue is a desirable color. I agree that it will be an expensive resto needing pretty much everything including a good chunk of the AMD sheet metal catalog, so body shop costs are going to be high. You asked what's fair, which I interpret to be a reasonable number that both parties could live with..... not necessarily what it could fetch, or what would be a good deal for the buyer.

= $7500

However, in the current market, you are way better off financing and buying a done car. You aren't going to enjoy restoring it yourself, so why pay more and wait longer to have a completed car? It still costs the same to restore one, but sale prices are low vs. 5 years ago.
1969 Charger 500 #232008
1972 Charger, Grand Sport #41
1973 Charger "T/A"

Drive as fast as you want to on a public road! Click here for info: http://www.sscc.us/

1974dodgecharger

hahahaha...something just hit me.

1. new member
2. asks about a car value
3. opinions of what needs done

now usually when this happens it just means its the OP car and is now trying to sell it hahahhaha.....

reminds of when that one person asked about a 68 he just bought, but we find out later he is a dealer trying to flip it for it cash and sells it on ebay, autotrader classics, etc....and then never returns back to the forum after we foud who he was.  :icon_smile_big:

Ghoste

No, not a flipper, he has been on here looking for advice already.  I'm with the 5k group.

tan top

like whats been mentioned  ,  fender tag , broadcast sheet , original motor ,  body numbers etc   , &  most important  need close up pictures   body panels , under side  , trunk etcetc
those pictures don't show anything really ! :Twocents:

think thats got some iffy body work going on under the matt black  :Twocents:

Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

hawkeye

the car is certainly worthy of a resto if it truely is a numbers r/t se.  looks to be a total rust bucket.  you are looking at big bucks. :Twocents:

bill440rt

Like others have said, not enough to go on at this point. Fender tag, options, matching numbers engine/trans, further condition of the body, underhood, trunk, floors, etc etc etc.
However... based on what you've posted & IF it is real I'd say upwards of around $7500 or so. Give or take.
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

Dino

As you can see the estimates are all over the place and this is coming from the people who know more about these cars than the people who built them.

Short answer, there is no set price on classic cars, only very wide ranges.

If an R/T SE is what you want then it's going to be worth more to you than it is to me.  I see a 4-5K car at best and I'm being generous as I do recognize its pedigree, it's just not for me.

That car will need everything, there won't be a bolt you can leave untouched on that thing.

If you're looking to flip it, keep looking.  You will never, ever get your money back, not even close.

If your dream car is a blue on blue R/T SE then it's worth the moon and sky and you need to get out there and start negotiating.  Most sellers have a price in mind so start there and pay what YOU think is a fair deal.

I may not be much help but that's how I see it.

Good luck, regardless of your decision.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

XS29LA47V21

:popcrn:  I do not need to reiterate some of the above, but I am on the higher end.. because of nice colors, titled and if running/driving RTSE.  A running 318/383 cars can still seem to fetch 4-7 so a premium Shirley exists w/ RTSE & nice color options.  If original fender tag or original build sheet exist is a valued plus and if by chance it is B3 or B7 by ext colors I could see someone paying a 2-5k premium just for the color above say a gold/T/green color IMO (B5 being fairly common).  On this car, I would anticipate significant metal work cost before you ever get it painted.

Indygenerallee

I bought my complete 69 for $4500 and it still had never been taken apart or molested.
Sold my Charger unfortunately....never got it finished.

skip68

skip68, A.K.A. Chuck \ 68 Charger 440 auto\ 67 Camaro RS (no 440)       FRANKS & BEANS !!!

F8-4life

5-8k depending on rust, buildsheet, and fender tag.

Mike DC

I have to point out  . . . if you can afford to have this car professionally restored, then you can afford to buy an already restored car.  Already restored cars are almost invariably a much better value. 

Ghoste

Fully agree and that was the consensus on the first thread you put up preid.  But if this is the car that is speaking to you, how much do YOU feel its worth?