News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Who has a T5 transmission in his Charger? Cooter?

Started by Dino, October 01, 2012, 11:29:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dino

I think it was Cooter but I'm not sure and can't find the thread.  Searching for T5 here brings up a whole other topic!

These are cheap and easy to find but since I'm not racing the car, I doubt it would break while cruising.

There's one for sale locally that was rebuild.  Seller claims it can handle 450 hp easily which should be quite a bit more than what I get out of that 440.  He wants $350 for it and has a sb Chevy bellhousing so I'll need one for the 440.  I know driveshaft will have to be cut and trans crossmember is likely a one off piece.  What else do I need?  Should I be able to keep my console in one piece with this?
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

Cooter

Yes, It tis I....HORSEPOWER isn't a concern with the T-5....TORQUE, bang shifting, and generally beating the hell outta it is what crushes The T-5...Remember, it started life designed for the S-10 pick-ups...However, it does cruise nicely behind a mild 440 IF YOU DON'T BEAT ON IT, @ 80 MPH on the Interstate.

One helluva lot cheaper than the $4K Kielser etc. wants for the "Good" conversion.

NO your factory console will have to be EXTENSIVELY modded as will your CAR to incorperate this trans...This IS NOT for the faint of heart and they DO NOT just "Bolt in"...ALOT of fab work. Bellhousing for one.

2. Shifter is in middle like early Keilser set ups.
3. Clutch fork is a hybrid of Ford And Mopar.
4. Driveshaft is hybrid of Ford And Mopar, and shakes like hell due to old shaft spinning WAY faster RPMs than was designed in OD.
5. Must run FORD Clutch disk as input id 10 Spline like Mustang GT.
6. Cutom made trans mount/crossmember
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

Dino

Ah my memory served me well!  :icon_smile_big:

That's sorta what I recalled you saying, don't beat on it.  The worst I will ever abuse the trans is standing at a stop and leaving it quite sporty.  Not bang shifiting or anything like that, just the occasional 'somewhat quicker start than the lady in the Prius kinda deal'.  I would hope it could handle that.  99% of the time I'll just be cruising and shifting normally.

I just found another T5 that came out of a 5.0 Mustang which should be strong enough for my application.  I just don't know about gear ratios so I'll have to read up on those so I know what to look for.  If I have a 5 speed I would likely put the 3:55 gears back in the rear as well but I guess it all depends on the trans ratios.  I just don't see myself forking over all that money to have a T56 AND having to cut my trans tunnel so hopefully I can go the T5 route.

Thanks Cooter!   :2thumbs:

Cooter

When you find out the amount of work involved, you will just buy the kit like everybody else. :2thumbs:
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

skip68

ChargerSteve has the t5 also. Though his car is a 67. 
skip68, A.K.A. Chuck \ 68 Charger 440 auto\ 67 Camaro RS (no 440)       FRANKS & BEANS !!!

Troy

Pettybird has one in his Daytona clone as well (behind a new Hemi).

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

A383Wing

Bob had the 833-OD behind his Hemi 'Bird on our trip to 'Dega in 99

Bryan

Dino

Dino

I think I will try to go this route.  It'll have to wait till next season as I've been spending a bit much lately. 

My main concern is having to cut up the trans tunnel.  Cooter how much work did you have to do to yours to make it fit in there?

Now how do I figure out which one I need?  Find one that was in a 5.0 stang or is there a better one?  If I have a 28" tall rear tire (275/60r15) what gear ratio would I need?  I currently have 2:96 gears in the axle but still have a set of 3:55 as well.  Ideally I'd like to use that since I will be quicker off the line than with the granny gears.  I can also just buy a set of 3:23's of course.

I'm not real savvy with gear ratios.  I want to be able to cruise at low rpm at 55 and 75 mph.

I'll start looking for parts.  I know I need pedals and a bellhousing, I'm sure the driveshaft needs adapting as does the trans crossmember.  I'm sure there's a bunch more stuff but is that about right as far as the big ticket items go?

Cooter I'm actually looking forward to doing this, I used to restore cars so I do miss doing projects like this.  It won't be as easy without a big body shop but it'll work out.  I have plenty soft cardboard for the garage.   :icon_smile_big:

Cooter

Just remember the T-5 will NOT TAKE ABUSE...A weak 440 will send cluster gear all over the pavement. A "Tremec" like Many sell as a KIT form will take a little, but it too will give up eventually. Aluminum transmissions WILL NOT TAKE ABUSE..."Bang shifts" will hurt them...As long as you know this going in, then good luck and I wish you rewards.

If you think your gonna make an end run around the $4K that Kielser/etc. wants for their "Tremec" kits, with a "World Class" Actual T-5 transmission, then I'm afraid you are mistaken. The Tremec is NOT A T-5. The Borg Warner T-5 is a different animal. i have an ACTAUL JUNKYARD T-5 out of a Mustang GT in the GL. This too ALOT of fab work. Not easy like the kits.

charger_fan_4ever

Just make sure you get a T-5 from a V8 mustang as the 4 banger trans are no good behind even a stock 5L.

You may want to search the mustang classifieds for a tremec 3550 5 speed. It was the 1st version on the TKO 500 transmissions. They did come factory in 95 mustang Cobra R's. They weigh about 50lbs more than a T-5.

You can find a used setup now for around $1000-1200.

I had one behind an aluminum headed 351W. Ran mid 11's on slicks side stepping the clutch pedal at 6000rpm. This thing put close to 400ft lbs to the tires.

The 3550 is a tough transmission for the money.

Cooter

Yeah, and we made around 9 passes on a Tremec, with a Nitroused small block in a fox body and blew one all to sh*t. No Manual trans with aluminum case will live very long under those cercumstances.

charger_fan_4ever

Quote from: Cooter on October 18, 2012, 11:19:46 AM
Yeah, and we made around 9 passes on a Tremec, with a Nitroused small block in a fox body and blew one all to sh*t. No Manual trans with aluminum case will live very long under those cercumstances.

A tremec 3550 ?