News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Anyone run into a NON TRANSFERRABLE REGISTRATION??? What to do?

Started by johnnyseville, October 16, 2012, 10:36:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

johnnyseville

Just went to NYS DMV today to transfer over a 1968 Charger R/T I purchase from a dealer in Detroit.  He picked it up at Mecum.  All paperwork seems in order, the DMV took all the paperwork, I paid the tax, they gave me the plates, then I see the registration states NON TRANSFERRABLE.  The supervisor said because this is out of state, it has to be checked by Albany before a transferrable registration is issued, if they cannot verify whatever info they are looking for it will remain nontransferrable, which means I can drive the car but NEVER sell it. WTF?  This has never happended to me.   Has anyone had experience with this.  I am at the verge of putting a stop payment on the check to DMV and calling the whole deal off.  This type of registration is useless to me.  Any advice??
too many to list!

JB400

You just have to get the car inspected in your own state.  You can't have your car inspected in one state, and get it licensed in another.

johnnyseville

What do you mean "inspected", not safety inspection?   Does anyone buying a car in another state runs into this problem when they register it in their states?  This has never happened to me before, seems like the beginning of a problem,which I do not want to get involved in.
too many to list!

JB400

When you get your safety inspection, they write your vin down.  It is also the same as if they just did a vin check, which is required to get the title in your name in your state.  That is all you have to do.  Either get a safety inspection, or a vin check,  $12 in Missouri for either one, than the car is legal in your state.  If you go to sell it out of state, the buyer has to do the exact same thing.

johnnyseville

NO, don't think you are right, more involved than that, besides may not get it inspected right now, need to do some work first.  I think DMV is looking for something else, not sure what, maybe they think something is fishy, just does not feel right, have purchase out of state before, never this type registration.  DMV can give you a run around, don't have the time for their BS, especially when a good deal of money is involved. 
too many to list!

Alaskan_TA

They likely check the VIN & body numbers to see if it was ever reported stolen. You should have the inspection done before you invest any more time or money in it just to be safe.

johnnyseville

Motor does not even run, plan to put another engine in, can't inspect it.  When you guys buy an out of state car, do they give you a non transferable registrations, I don't think so.   Would like to hear from someone who has gotten this type of registration.  DMV says it could take up to 60 days to approve it, this sounds bogus.
too many to list!

JB400

How about saving all of us some aggrevation as well, and tell us what you usually have to do to get a vehicle registered after you bought it.

Alaskan_TA

1974dodgecharger

Quote from: stroker400 wedge on October 17, 2012, 12:10:00 AM
How about saving all of us some aggrevation as well, and tell us what you usually have to do to get a vehicle registered after you bought it.

IN arizona if you have a 1975 or newer car..

1. emissions
2. notorized title or bill of sale with non-notorized title
3. have some money to pay for registration and title transfer
4. insurnace proof

JB400

Minus emissions, Same goes for Missouri with the addition of 2 years property tax receipts

1974dodgecharger

You need a complete car its non transferrable probably cause there is no engine? Non transferrable due non driveability.....

johnnyseville

It has a motor in now, the original, but plan on putting in a hemi, rather than spend on a total rebuild which I am sure it need.  Hard to believe no one here has ever purchased an out of state car before.  Was hoping someone could reassure me of what they are doing, at this point have gotten disgusted with the car and do not want it anymore.  I am not going to put money it in since with this type of paperwork it is not worth it.
too many to list!

JB400

1974dodgecharger

Quote from: johnnyseville on October 17, 2012, 06:45:40 AM
It has a motor in now, the original, but plan on putting in a hemi, rather than spend on a total rebuild which I am sure it need.  Hard to believe no one here has ever purchased an out of state car before.  Was hoping someone could reassure me of what they are doing, at this point have gotten disgusted with the car and do not want it anymore.  I am not going to put money it in since with this type of paperwork it is not worth it.

I have purchased plenty out of state cars bro, its just that there is something going on with that car specifically....you might have issues with the seller.

-did they sell you a car they did not register?
-they could of sold you a car that could not be registered under their name so they passed the trouble onto you

LIke I said I think the seller did not do something right and passed the problem to you......you let your emotions get you and maybe bought it without thinking it through?

Troy

Every state is different. A Google search on New York laws turned this up:

Vehicles Titled Out-of-State
Acceptable Proofs of Ownership: If a vehicle is being brought into New York State without a change in ownership:

An original out-of-state title or, if the vehicle was not required to be titled in the state where it was last registered, a transferable registration or certified copy of the registration from the out-of-state Motor Vehicles authority.
    If the title is held by an out-of-state lienholder:
        A copy of the title in the owner's name, certified by the lienholder or the out-of-state motor vehicle agency, or a Memorandum of Title **(non-negotiable) and
        The lienholder's statement identifying the owner and the vehicle's year, make and VIN. The statement must be on the lienholder's letterhead and must state that the lienholder holds the original title and is aware that the title copy will be used to register the vehicle in NYS. The letter must be unconditional (that is, the lienholder cannot ask that we notify him/her once the vehicle is registered, etc.
    If the title is held by an out-of-state leasing company:
        A certified copy of the out-of-state title (in the leasing company's name) and
        A letter from the owner stating that the owner is aware that the copy of the title will be used to register the vehicle in NYS.

**A New York State title will not be issued in this case.
You will be given a non-transferable New York State Registration Receipt and sticker. We will not issue you a transferable registration (for 1972 and older model year vehicles) or a New York State Certificate of Title (for most 1973 and new vehicles) until the out-of-state title is submitted to New York State.

When you get the actual title from the lienholder forward it to the DMV Title Bureau so they can issue a New York State Title to you.
http://www.co.genesee.ny.us/departments/dmv/registration.html

Sounds reasonable to me.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

HPP

Agreed, not too radical, IMO.

I've brought in out of state cars to Colorado and they require a VIN verification to be done by the State Police or a certified inspection center, or you wait for the originating state to provide all the supporting documents, which really amounts to a verification of their state issued title or bill of sale. Once they have either of those, then they issue a new title. Not a big deal really and I wouldn't let it kill a deal on a car for me, but your call.

bobs66440

I went through that with a boat I registered. I didn't have a bill of sale from the seller, so they issued a non-transferable reg and sent the info to Albany for investigation. Nothing came up stolen so they issued a transferable reg.

I also went through the inspection process on a '72 Corvette that had a state-issued VIN sticker that came off. I had to trailer it to Kingston where they went over it with a fine tooth comb. Everything checked out so they issued a new VIN. But there were engines and parts all over the shop that they confiscated from cars that the owners had no receipts.  :o

johnnyseville

I actually purchased this from a licensed dealer, not a private seller.  He in turn purchased it from another dealer who purchased it from the original owner outright.  There are no liens, it is free and clear.  I provided all the transfer papers of one dealer to the other to me.  They have lots of paperwork.  They took my money for the registration and tax, gave me plates and this bogus reggie.    I spoke to the dealer and he says there is no issues whatsoever with anything.  I have spoken to DMV and they said if I want they can rescind the transaction, all I have to do is turn in the plates and file a form to get my tax money back.  The part of the DMV that handles titles is closed on Wednesday in NY, so have to call back tomorrow.  After speaking to them I will know whether to kill this or not. It is just ridiculous. If there was something wrong they should just not register it at all, rather than pull this stunt.  OH, one more thing, even have paperwork of inspection from the DMV in the state the car came from verifyin VIN # with the state seal!  What else do they want, maybe a Galen Govier certificate?
too many to list!

aussiemuscle

Quote from: Troy on October 17, 2012, 09:12:50 AM
http://www.co.genesee.ny.us/departments/dmv/registration.html

Sounds reasonable to me.

Troy

...even better straight from the horses mouth (aka source).
http://www.dmv.ny.gov/register.htm#register

Quote from: johnnysevilleI actually purchased this from a licensed dealer, not a private seller.

If the vehicle is used, and was purchased from an out-of-state dealer, provide an out-of-state title certificate or transferable registration transferred to the dealer and the dealer's bill of sale that transfers ownership to you.

1974dodgecharger

Quote from: johnnyseville on October 17, 2012, 04:54:08 PM
I actually purchased this from a licensed dealer, not a private seller.  He in turn purchased it from another dealer who purchased it from the original owner outright.  There are no liens, it is free and clear.  I provided all the transfer papers of one dealer to the other to me.  They have lots of paperwork.  They took my money for the registration and tax, gave me plates and this bogus reggie.    I spoke to the dealer and he says there is no issues whatsoever with anything.  I have spoken to DMV and they said if I want they can rescind the transaction, all I have to do is turn in the plates and file a form to get my tax money back.  The part of the DMV that handles titles is closed on Wednesday in NY, so have to call back tomorrow.  After speaking to them I will know whether to kill this or not. It is just ridiculous. If there was something wrong they should just not register it at all, rather than pull this stunt.  OH, one more thing, even have paperwork of inspection from the DMV in the state the car came from verifyin VIN # with the state seal!  What else do they want, maybe a Galen Govier certificate?
nothing against you man I just think the dealership missed a step in their purchasing and are now passing the 'buck' onto you thats all. I purchased cars in florida, new york, wyoming, and houston and brought them back to arizona with no issues. It was a 'title' under the dealerships name registered and all. Not some title under another dealership where they got it from another daelership etc...