News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Weight loss from stock 440 to a selective HEMI

Started by Daytona Guy, October 14, 2012, 10:13:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Daytona Guy

Say you have a stock 440 and you get a HEMI to replace it. What would be the difference in weight loss?

IF...

HEMI aluminum heads vs cast iron 440 heads
Aluminum HEMI intake vs cast iron 440 intake
Aluminum water pump and housing vs cast iron
Conversion to manual stearing box (loss of pump & brackets & weight diff with lighter manual gear box)

If anything could this HEMI turn out to weigh the same as a stock 440?

FYI - cube of 100 lbs of aluminum = same size cube 260 lbs of cast iron.

JB400

Since I don't have a Hemi to weigh  ( I wish) I'm going to say they weigh the same.  There's a lot of mass to Hemi heads.

Mike DC

From my understanding, you can indeed get an iron/alloy Hemi down near the weight of an all-iron 440.  

But this comparison is the only time you will ever hear anyone call an all-iron 440 lightweight.  You're still dealing with a boat anchor in the front end of the car.  Even smallblocks aren't really light in the big picture.  

68X426

My Hemi weighed in at 610 pounds, nearly all aluminum/alloy with iron block. Chrysler reported that a stock 440 was 670#.

Dollar for dollar the 440 is the best bang for the buck (as the Hemi haters will tell you). Spend the money on aluminum for the 440 and you'll have a killer set-up at a reasonable price.

The 12 Scariest Words in the English Language:
We are Here from The Government and
We Want to Help You.

1968 Plymouth Road Runner, Hemi and much more
2013 Dodge Challenger RT, Hemi, Plum Crazy
2014 Ram 4x4 Hemi, Deep Cherry Pearl
1968 Dodge Charger, 318, not much else
1958 Dodge Pick Up, 383, loud
1966 Dodge Van, /6, slow

Cooter

Quote from: 68X426 on October 17, 2012, 02:51:28 AM
My Hemi weighed in at 610 pounds, nearly all aluminum/alloy with iron block. Chrysler reported that a stock 440 was 670#.

Dollar for dollar the 440 is the best bang for the buck (as the Hemi haters will tell you). Spend the money on aluminum for the 440 and you'll have a killer set-up at a reasonable price.

Exactly.. Spend the money where it counts, not on "Look-at-me Hemi sh*t.

HEMI= Heavy Expensive Mechanicals Inside.
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

Mike DC

:Twocents:

Calling a setup that involves a $5000 engine block "reasonably priced" is a bit of a stretch.

Hemis are what they are.  Some wanna pay for them, some don't.  

If we really wanted affordable speed then we'd buy a crotch rocket.  If we wanted affordable speed in an American musclecar then we'd build a Mustang or Camaro.  Nobody who is focused on affordability is doing anything with a 2nd-gen Charger.  

Daytona Guy

I must say it is expensive, ridiculously expensive. I am able to fund this – but this is a dream and most likely will only happen once. The thing is – just don't be a cog in the wheel and take story line that – it's a HEMI and that has to be this way. Don't listen to it all (unless you want original equipment) just because it has a hemispherical head means nothing in operation or has extra special physics. Electronics do not say, "Hey you hunk of a motor – you are extra sexy".  Read the specs on the parts – I bought a mechanical (same as HEMI) fuel pump for 80.00 (HEMI ones 130.00) Aluminum water pump and housing for 104.00. HEMI booster and master cylinder, Wiring, starters, mounts, air cleaner, and on and on and on. Treat it as if it is a 440 and in most cases you will be OK.

My car will be lighter in the front than a 318 car when I am done. My nose and mounting technique make my front end lighter than a regular Charger.

Dane

Ghoste

Actually having the hemispherical head would mean a great deal in operation and physics would it not?  I'm just thinking about gas flow, volumetric efficiency and surface to volume ratio mostly but it is reported there is some voodoo in there as well.

tan top

Quote from: Daytona Guy on October 14, 2012, 10:13:11 PM
Say you have a stock 440 and you get a HEMI to replace it. What would be the difference in weight loss?

IF...

HEMI aluminum heads vs cast iron 440 heads
Aluminum HEMI intake vs cast iron 440 intake
Aluminum water pump and housing vs cast iron
Conversion to manual stearing box (loss of pump & brackets & weight diff with lighter manual gear box)

If anything could this HEMI turn out to weigh the same as a stock 440?

FYI - cube of 100 lbs of aluminum = same size cube 260 lbs of cast iron.

headers &
not using cast iron manifolds  would save a quite a few pounds
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html