News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Just curious

Started by Cncguy, October 17, 2014, 07:45:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cncguy

I'm not sure this applies to Daytonas. If hypothetically you had a 1970 Road Runner that started life as a Superbird would it be ok to put it back to Superbird status? Because as the story goes dealers converted Superbirds to Road Runners due to weak sales.

Did they do this to Daytonas also? Converting them to Charger 500s'.

hemi68charger

1. I would put back a real Superbird to Superbird status in a heartbeat.

2. I have never heard of Daytonas being converted to Charger 500s

The Daytonas had the luxury of being the first "funny looking with that HUGE spoiler" on the rear...... Also, there weren't anywhere near the numbers produced as those of the Superbird. I'm sure the market for the aero cars was pretty small. Those that bought one, probably bought the Daytonas... When word got out of the future Superbirds, the buying aero-market had already bought a car ( Daytona ). When the Superbird came out, not only were there fewer potential buyers, but MaMopar had to make nearly 4 times more than the Daytona.

Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

billssuperbird

Take lots of pictures  :popcrn:

Moparpoolman

Sounds like somebody is in the market for an original nose cone and wing ASAP.  I'd bring it back to a bird!!!! :yesnod:

Indygenerallee

I always thought that was kind of a "old wives tale" of Superbirds being changed into regular road runners. My grandfather owned a Dodge, Chrysler, Plymouth dealership at that time and he acted like it was just turn them as quickly as possible or sell the higher priced ones that would not sell to other dealers and my dad recalls my grandfather having a Lemon Twist yellow bird that his cousin and he took out and flogged... Said it was the fastest car he had ever ridden in. I think maybe a few dealers did the conversion but I don't think more than a handful would have ever been converted.
Sold my Charger unfortunately....never got it finished.

A383Wing

any chance we could see this hypothetical fender tag & VIN along with pictures of said car?

Ghoste

I agree, its come up before and some want to make it sound like a widespread practice but I firmly am of the opinion that it was only a handful.

SBBob

I know that some cars were changed back to regular roadrunners.  The person I got my bird from was handling the estate of his brother.  His brother had 3 birds at one time.  When I got my car it came with a complete front end clip and a wing off of a white car.  Since he had 3 cars the dealer that took the parts off kept calling him and somewhere around 1974 he went down to the dealership and paid them a $100 and 2 six packs of beer for the parts.  The dealer said he was tried of inventorying them.
Superbird Bob - 426 Hemi, 4 Speed, 3.54 Track Pack

Cncguy

I don't have a Road Runner. I was just asking.

wingcar

I actually saw one of the "Unconverted" Superbirds driving on Whittier blvd. in California back in the day.  It was a yellow bird with a black vinyl top that was in excellent condition.   I followed the "Road Runner" after noticing the rear window....it belonged to a Cop and he had no idea that it was an original Superbird until I pointed out the special features to him.  Never saw the car again after that.  Anyway he claimed he purchased the car as is and had no idea it was anything other than a Road Runner.
1970 Daytona Charger SE "clone" (440/Auto)
1967 Charger (360,6-pak/Auto)
2008 Challenger SRT8 BLK (6.1/Auto) 6050 of 6400

pettybird

if the car was born a Superbird it wouldn't matter if it was turned into a prop for Death Race 2000...it's still a 'bird.  There are cars out there with a *lot* more work done to them than a simple front clip replacement.

farm966

I had heard about turning a bird back into a RR to sell it, but I didnt think it really happened. Surpises me to read that someone actually saw one driving down the road....guess the stories were true.

odcics2

There was a gray one in Detroit, RR front end, filled in holes where the wing was.
Still had the rear glass, black top and moldings on it.
Story was it got wrecked early in life, not converted because it wouldn't sell.

Heard it went to NY state.
I've never owned anything but a MoPar. Can you say that?